The Student Room Group

How Do UCAS Points Work?

Hey, I wanna know how many UCAS points i have...

Do I get points from each AS and then the grade in A2 or is it all together?
depends on the subject.
In maths you get 50% of the UCAS points for AS and all if you do the full course (i think)
Most subjects because of the reforms now have the AS only worth 40% of the A2 points.
Basically for AS you get some points and a grade. In A2 apart from maths (where the AS counts) you re-do the AS stuff and get a different grade equating to a different amount of points
The grade is translated into points and they are recieved at the same time. You can see it on the UCAS website with the new tariff
Hope that helped
Also say what subjects you did and the grades you got and I, or at least someone else can explain what total you got.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by sararodrigues
Hey, I wanna know how many UCAS points i have...

Do I get points from each AS and then the grade in A2 or is it all together?

It's all together as an A2 grade, that's if you completed the course. However if you dropped the course after just completing the AS exams, you would only achieve the AS UCAS points.

E.g. If you got AABB in your AS and you dropped the subject you got a B in, you already have 16 points. And if you managed to get AAB for your A2s that would have 136 points, and you would add the 16 points from your AS so in total you would have 152 in total.

A Level:
A* = 56
A = 48
B = 40
C = 32
D = 24
E = 16

AS:
A = 20
B = 16
C = 12
D = 10
E= 6
Original post by Toasticide
depends on the subject.
In maths you get 50% of the UCAS points for AS and all if you do the full course (i think)
Most subjects because of the reforms now have the AS only worth 40% of the A2 points.
Basically for AS you get some points and a grade. In A2 apart from maths (where the AS counts) you re-do the AS stuff and get a different grade equating to a different amount of points
The grade is translated into points and they are recieved at the same time. You can see it on the UCAS website with the new tariff
Hope that helped
Also say what subjects you did and the grades you got and I, or at least someone else can explain what total you got.

But I'm already doing A2 and I'm not doing the AS again at the end of this year. I'm doing spanish, law and politics.

Arghhhh this is confusing
But I'm already doing A2 and I'm not doing the AS again at the end of this year. I'm doing spanish, law and politics.

Arghhhh this is confusing

Ok sadly im a maths/science guy so i know nothing about those A levels but you should check on AQA/Edexcel to see if your spec happens to be a brand new one (ur the first year doing it) as massive reforms meant all of science did that, dont know about others.

If yours didnt change then you do the A2 at the end of this year then you are given a grade, lets say A :smile: and that equals 48 points. This is for each subject, then add them up.

If yours did change your next exams includes previous year topics and the grade you just got means absolutely nothing but maybe a target grade. At the end of this year you will do an exam on both THEN get one grade for each subject.

Most likely atm you have no UCAS points assured unless you dropped something
Ok sadly im a maths/science guy so i know nothing about those A levels but you should check on AQA/Edexcel to see if your spec happens to be a brand new one (ur the first year doing it) as massive reforms meant all of science did that, dont know about others.

If yours didnt change then you do the A2 at the end of this year then you are given a grade, lets say A :smile: and that equals 48 points. This is for each subject, then add them up.

If yours did change your next exams includes previous year topics and the grade you just got means absolutely nothing but maybe a target grade. At the end of this year you will do an exam on both THEN get one grade for each subject.

Most likely atm you have no UCAS points assured unless you dropped something

Mine didn't change ( malefic laugh )

Okay thank you!
Mine didn't change ( malefic laugh )

Okay thank you!

yeh, the changed ones aren't too bad except you have to keep up with 2 years work instead of forget one, concentrate on the other... And there are no past papers you can use... explains my D in physics ;(
But yeh, hope your A2's go well
yeh, the changed ones aren't too bad except you have to keep up with 2 years work instead of forget one, concentrate on the other... And there are no past papers you can use... explains my D in physics ;(
But yeh, hope your A2's go well

you should still do the past papers from the other years even if it changed. Its good practise and good luck for your exams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending