The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey
Has anyone done the aqa pixl paper for english lit?
Original post by Skiing Turtles
Surely that would mean x would have to be infinite, then? Can you get x as being infinite?

y=x2+4x+1 y = -x^2 + 4x + 1 ,
y=(x2)2+5 y = - (x - 2)^2 + 5 ,
because there's a minus in front of the (x2)2 (x-2)^2 , making x infinity will make y be negative infinity. You want the bit inside the brackets to be as close to 0 as possible, since you're going to end up squaring it, but then also making it negative.
Original post by BobBobson
y=x2+4x+1 y = -x^2 + 4x + 1 ,
y=(x2)2+5 y = - (x - 2)^2 + 5 ,
because there's a minus in front of the (x2)2 (x-2)^2 , making x infinity will make y be negative infinity. You want the bit inside the brackets to be as close to 0 as possible, since you're going to end up squaring it, but then also making it negative.

So x would be +2?
Original post by Skiing Turtles
So x would be +2?

Yeah, the maximum turning point is (2,5) (2, 5)
Yeah, the maximum turning point is (2,5) (2, 5)

Thank you!
Hello, i'm @aaron1050
(edited 6 years ago)
I lovvee gaming!! I like to play Cod and Transformice ( which is gonna have to stop during this year :frown: ) I guess I'm kinda ready, my dad is already getting me a maths tutor so I can boost my predicted C into at least a B

My subjects are:
Maths *Edexcel*
English Lit *AQA*
English Lang *AQA*
Religious Studies *Edexcel*
Food Technology *AQA*
Geography *Edexcel b*
Art *AQA*
Biology, Chemistry, Physics and ISA (coursework 25%) *AQA*

I feel as if I'm gonna do pretty well, I'm doing homework and I'm starting to revise- however I feel as if by the time it hits May 2017 I'm gonna forget all my revision due to Anxiety and pressure :frown: . I pray that doesn't happen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haven't posted in ages.
How is everyone's year going?
Have you done any mocks yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by haseeb798
Haven't posted in ages.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We've got a mock week coming up :frown::frown:
Original post by haseeb798
Haven't posted in ages.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We have had a topic mock, but no full-on mocks yet. They are in January I believe.
Hey
Is anyone doing ocr b triple science?
If yes have you done the osmosis bio controlled assessment??
Original post by bluepearl7
Hey

Yeah, we did it at the end of year 10. Waiting for results. You?
Original post by bluepearl7
Hey

heyy we did it for mocks at end of yr 10...achieved an A:tongue:
Original post by patriciaanne
We've got a mock week coming up :frown::frown:

good luck !:h:
Original post by _gcx
We have had a topic mock, but no full-on mocks yet. They are in January I believe.

I have 3 sets of mocks, which I believe is really good (in October, January and Easter). My mocks start tomorrow with paper 1 English language which I should now be able to smash. Aiming for at least 60-70. Then I have got English language paper 2 on Thursday. All the science's next week along with PE and English literature paper 2.
Good luck with your mocks!
Does anyone know approximate grade boundaries for AQA English Language papers. What raw mark should you be aiming for, for say a 8/9. English usually has relatively low percentage grade boundaries? Does this seem about right: 7- 56/80, 8- 62/80, 9- 68/80. I know it's hard to predict grade boundaries especially with a new spec, but does that seem right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know approximate grade boundaries for AQA English Language papers. What raw mark should you be aiming for, for say a 8/9. English usually has relatively low percentage grade boundaries? Does this seem about right: 7- 56/80, 8- 62/80, 9- 68/80. I know it's hard to predict grade boundaries especially with a new spec, but does that seem right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Far too high, an A* on the current spec was 55/80 (50/80 for an A, 45 for a B, 40 for a C) this year and a few marks higher last year (57/80 for an A*, 51 for an A, 45 for a B etc.). I wouldn't think that Lang grade boundaries will take that much of a hit, it's mainly Lit that has got harder with the reforms.

I honestly have no idea what to aim for, although I intend to smash the creative writing sections, since they are easy marks.
Original post by ArkhamAsylum_
Hey
Is anyone doing ocr b triple science?
If yes have you done the osmosis bio controlled assessment??

Yep, I am. We did the osmosis coursework at the end of last year in Biology, we did the thermistor coursework for Physics at the end of last year, and now I'm just starting the rhubarb one for Chemistry :smile:
Reply 718
hi i find the new maths and english spec really hard tbh
Original post by Zxrxh
hi i find the new maths and english spec really hard tbh

Is there any specific aspect that you're finding particularly difficult? (ie. wording, question layout, etc.)

Latest