The Student Room Group

Does Cambridge care more about GCSEs now that AS Levels are gone?

Cambridge always made a big deal about how they didn't care about GCSEs as much as they did AS levels. So now that the latter are gone from most colleges, do GCSEs matter more now?
AS levels aren't gone, they are just now a separate qualification and are not required to achieve a full a level, even though you need to know the AS content for the A2 exams. And for some subjects like Maths, AS is still required until 2019. Also predicted grades can "trump" GCSEs if you know what I mean.
Original post by SunnysideSea
Cambridge always made a big deal about how they didn't care about GCSEs as much as they did AS levels. So now that the latter are gone from most colleges, do GCSEs matter more now?

No.
they think GCSE is not as reliable indicator for tripos performance as A-levels. They still look at if as a contextual data.
They introduced pre-interview assessment to compensate for the lack of AS opinion some subjects.
Original post by vincrows
No.
they think GCSE is not as reliable indicator for tripos performance as A-levels. They still look at if as a contextual data.
They introduced pre-interview assessment to compensate for the lack of AS opinion some subjects.

Ah OK, is that pre interview assessment like the one Oxford does for all its subjects?
Original post by Welshstig
AS levels aren't gone, they are just now a separate qualification and are not required to achieve a full a level, even though you need to know the AS content for the A2 exams. And for some subjects like Maths, AS is still required until 2019. Also predicted grades can "trump" GCSEs if you know what I mean.

They aren't technically gone, but loads of schools/colleges don't bother anymore, I guess so students have more time for the A2
Ah OK, is that pre interview assessment like the one Oxford does for all its subjects?

Not for all courses.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/admission-assessments
They aren't technically gone, but loads of schools/colleges don't bother anymore, I guess so students have more time for the A2

That's not true, most schools have made it compulsory to do AS, all A2 content is pretty much used in A2.

Fantastic that's really helpful:smile: The 'at interview' test sounds rather ominous - does that mean you do the exam in one of the colleges in between interviews?
Original post by Welshstig
That's not true, most schools have made it compulsory to do AS, all A2 content is pretty much used in A2.

But even if it's a minority who don't do it, I'd have thought it rendered them a fairly useless indicator since a proportion of applicants won't have them. Also, I don't know if he's right, but my history teacher said unis weren't allowed to see AS results anymore, a measure designed to incentivise colleges to do the linear courses, as the government wants. He seems like a fairly well informed chap so I'm not sure now
Fantastic that's really helpful:smile: The 'at interview' test sounds rather ominous - does that mean you do the exam in one of the colleges in between interviews?

Basically you do two 'interviews' at a college you applied to. With some courses/colleges, one of the 'interviews' is actually a test.
Have a look at undergraduate admission pages on the official website thoroughly. All the information you need is actually there.
And if you find something you want to ask in more details, etc., you can always come here and post a question. :smile:
Also, I don't know if he's right, but my history teacher said unis weren't allowed to see AS results anymore, a measure designed to incentivise colleges to do the linear courses, as the government wants. He seems like a fairly well informed chap so I'm not sure now

This is nonsense.

Source: Put my AS grades into UCAS two weeks ago.
Reply 11
Original post by vincrows
Basically you do two 'interviews' at a college you applied to. With some courses/colleges, one of the 'interviews' is actually a test.
Have a look at undergraduate admission pages on the official website thoroughly. All the information you need is actually there.
And if you find something you want to ask in more details, etc., you can always come here and post a question. :smile:

For the courses with an at-interview admissions test it is a completely separate element. With (usually) the 2 interviews still on top.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending