The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Soon as you don't get something, ask the teacher. Make sure you understand EVERYTHING. although I do think it depends partly on which subjects you are doing?
People who get A*'s aren't lucky, they just work hard throughout the entire year. There's no special secret :redface: Understand the content and apply it to questions, do this continuously. Also, read around your subjects & manage your time well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Idk, I already feel like I'm going to get a U in Biology
Original post by surina16

Physics will be my downfall don't worry. :console:
Reply 5

haha you won't, trust me
I was 1 mark, 2 marks and 5 marks away from my 3 A* grades for each respective subject. It's what happens when you don't revise unfortunately :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by Mathsqueen
People who get A*'s aren't lucky, they just work hard throughout the entire year. There's no special secret :redface: Understand the content and apply it to questions, do this continuously. Also, read around your subjects & manage your time well.

why is reading around your subjects so important? i dont understand why, surely everything you need to know for the exam will be stated in the specification??
Original post by lily.b9
Is it really only reserved for super brainy people or can ordinary people like me actually achieve A*s ???? Because it feels like only academically gifted people end up getting A*s, btw im in year 12 and am aiming to do my absolute best in my subjects (biology,psychology and chemistry)

A*s are obviously difficult to get but I wouldn't say you have to be super brainy - just very hardworking more than anything.

I reckon there isn't that strong a correlation between number of A*s at A-Level and how 'brainy' or 'clever' someone is (perhaps defined by university destination and course). So just because you don't get an A* doesn't mean you're not clever by any means!

Also not sure what you mean by 'ordinary' haha people who get straight A*s are mostly normal people :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by aliman65
I was 1 mark, 2 marks and 5 marks away from my 3 A* grades for each respective subject. It's what happens when you don't revise unfortunately :frown:

thats bloody amazing!! any tips/techniques which you think helped you?
Original post by aliman65

Are you for real -_-

You managed to get 3A's with no/little revision!?!? Uhm how!?
I didn't get A's in my AS' but two tips:
1. Don't give up or beat yourself up over anything. I ended up with a D in physics mostly because mechanics was taught in the worst way you can think of and instead of looking at youtube tutorials on it all i just gave up and then whenever i got a question wrong elsewhere id get really annoyed (quite a problem with physics as the grade boundaries are ALWAYS low due to the questions being 90% nightmare) An A on my years was 65%.... I would have got a B if i looked up the stuff i found difficult WHEN i found it difficult. (also if i didnt make one tiny mistake costing me about 7 marks)
2. Spend as much time as possible doing past paper questions. seriously, the more the better. another reason i did quite badly in physics is because i believed if i just knew the knowledge itll be alright.... In GCSE i wouldve been right but A level nope! the exams are always trying to catch you out. My friend who got straight A's literally spends every free period and pretty much all his time at home on past paper questions.

P.S little tip for chemistry, practise the maths as that can end up a tad challenging if you leave it, especially the second year maths, quite a bit of wierd stuff there. Also consolidate your notes about as regularly as you do past papers. Chem A level has an even balance of subject knowledge and exam knowledge.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lily.b9
why is reading around your subjects so important? i dont understand why, surely everything you need to know for the exam will be stated in the specification??

Throughout your two years at sixth form, you are essentially being trained to sit an exam and for most subjects (unlike GCSE) you can't get away with memorising the textbook. You get assessed on how well you understand the content and how you can apply it to whatever question they throw at you (note: I take sciences at A level, so this is how it works for me). While reading around your subjects is not on the specification, it will help you understand how your subjects work, you can read about the real life applications of the theories and concepts you are taught at school. It also gives you something extra to mention in your personal statement, if you read an interesting book or article for example. This got me 5 A's at AS. Obviously learn what you have to first, don't just read around your subject, make sure you have a solid foundation so you can get the grades.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Throughout your two years at sixth form, you are essentially being trained to sit an exam and for most subjects (unlike GCSE) you can't get away with memorising the textbook. You get assessed on how well you understand the content and how you can apply it to whatever question they throw at you (note: I take sciences at A level, so this is how it works for me). While reading around your subjects is not on the specification, it will help you understand how your subjects work, you can read about the real life applications of the theories and concepts you are taught at school. It also gives you something extra to mention in your personal statement, if you read an interesting book or article for example. This got me 5 A's at AS.

Wow congratz :biggrin: , you must be chuffed. What study habits do you think helped you the most to achieve 5As at AS? o
Reply 14
Original post by Mathemagicien
I got 3A*s, and trust me, its not entirely about brains, although they do help; its about hard work.

Well, except maybe for maths, in which case natural ability is a bit more important.

thats amazingggg! well done any helpful tips???? :biggrin:
Original post by lily.b9
thats bloody amazing!! any tips/techniques which you think helped you?

Original post by worksmartnothard
Are you for real -_-

You managed to get 3A's with no/little revision!?!? Uhm how!?

I memorise large quantities of information without much effort. Best thing I do is look through the past exam papers and memorise the model answers, then all I have to do is recall them in the exam. Unfortunately I was ill during my A2 year and fell down.

Is biology that bad?:redface:
Original post by lily.b9
Is it really only reserved for super brainy people or can ordinary people like me actually achieve A*s ???? Because it feels like only academically gifted people end up getting A*s, btw im in year 12 and am aiming to do my absolute best in my subjects (biology,psychology and chemistry)

Ha ha well I'm in yr 12 too and have realised how much work you have to do for a levels- you can't just wing your exams like gcse's. Also, gcse's are pretty easy, sometimes you don't even need to understand something- you can just memorise notes and regurgitate it in the exam- and you'll be fine. But not the same for a-levels, it is a lot more about exam technique and application! Best of luck; I'm sure you will achieve amazing grades!:wink:
Original post by lily.b9
Because it feels like only academically gifted people end up getting A*s

That's kind of the point isn't it? If everyone could get A*s, they would lose their value (as happened with the A grade in the past).*
Throughout your two years at sixth form, you are essentially being trained to sit an exam and for most subjects (unlike GCSE) you can't get away with memorising the textbook. You get assessed on how well you understand the content and how you can apply it to whatever question they throw at you (note: I take sciences at A level, so this is how it works for me). While reading around your subjects is not on the specification, it will help you understand how your subjects work, you can read about the real life applications of the theories and concepts you are taught at school. It also gives you something extra to mention in your personal statement, if you read an interesting book or article for example. This got me 5 A's at AS. Obviously learn what you have to first, don't just read around your subject, make sure you have a solid foundation so you can get the grades.

What did you take at AS?

Latest