The Student Room Group

How do I know if it's okay to call an ambulance?

Like, how bad should my symptoms be in order to bother 'em with a call?

Scroll to see replies

Real talk, call 111. (Non emergency) They can guide you
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PrincessZara
Real talk, call 101. (Non emergency) They can guide you :smile:

101 is the non-emergency number for the police. 111 is the NHS number.
Original post by Tiger Rag

I realised, opps.
Reply 4
Original post by Tiger Rag

it's not the numbers that i've got a pb with...
ffs i'm not even in the uk at the moment, and i would've asked someone close to me, but i don't want them to worry about me
i just don't wanna be a dick and deprive a person who's in a much worse situation than me of an ambulance..
that's why i asked this question in the 1st place
Original post by Rhaenys10
ffs i'm not even in the uk at the moment, and i would've asked someone close to me, but i don't want them to worry about me
i just don't wanna be a dick and deprive a person who's in a much worse situation than me of an ambulance..

If it's not a life threatening thing then don't call an ambulance

http://www.londonambulance.nhs.uk/calling_999/when_to_call_999.aspx
Reply 7

that's exactly what i needed
thanks a lot!!!
Like, how bad should my symptoms be in order to bother 'em with a call?

this is what 111 is for , although cynically you may as well just ring 999 as 111 are still at the stage of sending ambulances to everything ...
Reply 9
Original post by zippyRN
this is what 111 is for , although cynically you may as well just ring 999 as 111 are still at the stage of sending ambulances to everything ...

i've been thinking of going to the closest emergency department, but the problem is that it's already getting late and i've had some problems actually walking long distances.. my grip is also really really weak and i can't afford a cab at the moment lol..
Original post by claireestelle
If it's not a life threatening thing then don't call an ambulance

Not necessarily the case. People call ambulances when they're in labour, or for badly broken bones. Obviously I'm not saying call for anything (did you read about that woman who called an ambulance to give her a lift home because her legs were tired?!), but sometimes it's better to be on the safe side because calling doesn't necessarily mean they'll send an ambulance out.

OP, I'd say call 111 but you said you're out of the country and you haven't said what's wrong so I don't know what advice to give. If you feel you need urgent medical attention, call.
Original post by lowkeypunk
Not necessarily the case. People call ambulances when they're in labour, or for badly broken bones. Obviously I'm not saying call for anything (did you read about that woman who called an ambulance to give her a lift home because her legs were tired?!), but sometimes it's better to be on the safe side because calling doesn't necessarily mean they'll send an ambulance out.

OP, I'd say call 111 but you said you're out of the country and you haven't said what's wrong so I don't know what advice to give. If you feel you need urgent medical attention, call.

Certain broken bones can be quite dangerous so yes if had a head injury or it was poking out it was serious then sure ,personally unless my labour wasn't normal in some way I d go for a taxi. I guess I don't do erring on the side of caution with medical things as I know how stretched the NHS is then I d go for 111 first.
When you're too unwell to debate whether or not to call an ambulance.
Reply 13
Original post by Etomidate
When you're too unwell to debate whether or not to call an ambulance.

ended up not calling one
made it through the night, got worse tho..
hopefully going to a doc in about 15 minutes
ended up not calling one
made it through the night, got worse tho..
hopefully going to a doc in about 15 minutes

You okay? :tongue:
Reply 15
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
You okay? :tongue:

not rlly but i can't leave the house until i book my ox exams.. so i gotta grin and bear it for now
thanks a lot tho:****
not rlly but i can't leave the house until i book my ox exams.. so i gotta grin and bear it for now
thanks a lot tho:****

Aww, why? And, it's alright. :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Aww, why? And, it's alright. :smile:

cause if i book em tomorrow the price is gonna be twice as big
and my cousin agreed to pay them for me.. but now he's at work and i'm waiting for him to give me his card number
cause if i book em tomorrow the price is gonna be twice as big
and my cousin agreed to pay them for me.. but now he's at work and i'm waiting for him to give me his card number

Aww, okay. :smile:
Reply 19
only for when you really can't be bothered to get yourself to the hospital

Quick Reply