The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 720
Original post by _gcx
is there any specific aspect that you're finding particularly difficult? (ie. Wording, question layout, etc.)

the wording questions can get very confusing sometimes and i find them the hardest to understand
Original post by Zxrxh
the wording questions can get very confusing sometimes and i find them the hardest to understand

Can you give me an example? :wink:
Can somebody help me out with this Maths question?

Edith is building towers out of cubes. Edith uses 1 cube to build tower 1. Edith uses 6 cubes to build tower 2. There are five cubes on the bottom layer. Write down the total number of cubes in tower 3.

I know the answer is 19 - but how? Thanks in advance!
That is a really stupid question. It never suggests any relationship between the towers let alone say the pattern.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BobBobson
That is a really stupid question. It never suggests any relationship between the towers let alone say the pattern.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is confusing me so much... I got the question from this paper. It's question 7. http://2fv5d843v9w22sxtto1ibxtu.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Algebra-H-Sequences-v2-SOLUTIONS.pdf
Hi! I'm Charlie

- What are your hobbies and interests?
I do volunteering and attend debate and public speaking clubs. I like animals and I love chemistry.

- What subjects are you taking and with what exam board?
English Lit - AQA (Want a 7)
English Lang - AQA (Want a 7)
Chemistry - AQA (Want an A*)
Biology - AQA (Want an A*)
Geography - AQA A (Want an A*)
French - WJEC (Want an A)
Maths - Edexcel (Want a 9)
Cambridge Nationals ICT - OCR (Want a Distinc*)

-What subjects have you already taken and received results in?
Physics - AQA (A*)
ECDL (Distinc*)

-Do you think you're ready for Year 11 and the new GCSEs?Going to be hard but I think preparation is key. Mainly worried about English Lit & Lang.

-What's your favourite subject(s)?
Chemistry and Maths

-What's your dream career? To combine economics and chemical engingeering :biggrin:

Lets hope for a good year 11 with nice exams and low grade boundaries!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 726
Hey guys,

I'm struggling so much with maths, our teacher is teaching us basic stuff, and nothing like sine/cosine rule, vectors, graphs and the hard stuff. Does anyone know any good ways to learn myself as I really want a 8/9 in maths but it's going to be have to be self study if I want it

Any methods/ suggestions would be HUGELY appreciated

Thanks so much :smile:
Original post by nm1276
Hey guys,

I'm struggling so much with maths, our teacher is teaching us basic stuff, and nothing like sine/cosine rule, vectors, graphs and the hard stuff. Does anyone know any good ways to learn myself as I really want a 8/9 in maths but it's going to be have to be self study if I want it

Any methods/ suggestions would be HUGELY appreciated

Thanks so much :smile:

I simply just google notes on the topic, or look, say, BBC Bitesize, and then do practice questions. There are several good tutorials on YouTube, and around the web. To be honest, that's probably the best way to do it.
Original post by thepewds_
It is confusing me so much... I got the question from this paper. It's question 7. http://2fv5d843v9w22sxtto1ibxtu.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Algebra-H-Sequences-v2-SOLUTIONS.pdf

I came across this thread while browsing TSR out of boredom, so I'll help you out here a little.

The base of the first tower is obviously just made of one block.

The base of the second one is made of 3 rows of blocks. First a row of 1 block, then a row of 3 blocks in the middle, then another row of 1 block. 1+3+1=5

The base of the third one is made of 5 rows of blocks. You can clearly see from the front that there's a row of 1 block, then a row of 3 blocks, then a row of 5 blocks. The last 2 rows are not fully shown but since all the bases are symmetrical we can reasonably conclude that it's a row of 3 followed by a row of 1. 1+3+5+3+1=13

Add that to the total number of blocks in tower 2 and you'll have your answer.
(edited 7 years ago)
hi, i know i'm really late but i'm new.

I'm Gabriela :smile:

GCSEs:
- English (WJEC)
- Maths (Edexcel)
- Biology (AQA)
- Chemistry (AQA)
- Physics (AQA)
- French (AQA)
- Business (Edexcel)
- History (AQA)
- Drama (??)
- RE (??)
- Spanish (AQA) [I don't have Spanish lessons, I'm just sitting the exam. It's already my second language]

Do you think you're ready for year 11 and the new GCSEs? - I think I'm ready, but I feel like I'll definitely struggle with maths. The highest I've ever gotten is a B and that was just scraped.

Favourite subject(s)?- Probably history. My best subjects are French and English but I don't enjoy them that much.

Future career?- I want to go into law.

:smile:
Original post by bimball
Yep, I am. We did the osmosis coursework at the end of last year in Biology, we did the thermistor coursework for Physics at the end of last year, and now I'm just starting the rhubarb one for Chemistry :smile:

Wow. I have already done my chemistry and physics controlled assessment but my chemistry one was on indigestion remedies and my physics one was on hills. I guess our schools chose different options. I am doing the osmosis coursework. I have done the research and plan. I'm going to do the part 3. :frown: Can you give my advice on part 3?
Original post by ArkhamAsylum_
Wow. I have already done my chemistry and physics controlled assessment but my chemistry one was on indigestion remedies and my physics one was on hills. I guess our schools chose different options. I am doing the osmosis coursework. I have done the research and plan. I'm going to do the part 3. :frown: Can you give my advice on part 3?

Ah, that's a shame :frown: Can you remind me what part 3 involves, it's been so long ago I can't actually remember, i'm assuming the practical?😂 :smile:
Original post by justinawe
I came across this thread while browsing TSR out of boredom, so I'll help you out here a little.

The base of the first tower is obviously just made of one block.

The base of the second one is made of 3 rows of blocks. First a row of 1 block, then a row of 3 blocks in the middle, then another row of 1 block. 1+3+1=5

The base of the third one is made of 5 rows of blocks. You can clearly see from the front that there's a row of 1 block, then a row of 3 blocks, then a row of 5 blocks. The last 2 rows are not fully shown but since all the bases are symmetrical we can reasonably conclude that it's a row of 3 followed by a row of 1. 1+3+5+3+1=13

Add that to the total number of blocks in tower 2 and you'll have your answer.

Thank you so much! It all makes sense now!
Im new to this so bare with me please!
Anyone doing thermistors for their controlled assessment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ra1500
Im new to this so bare with me please!
Anyone doing thermistors for their controlled assessment?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm with OCR gateway, and I've done the thermistor controlled assessment :yy:
Original post by charlieg617
Hi! I'm Charlie

- What are your hobbies and interests?
I do volunteering and attend debate and public speaking clubs. I like animals and I love chemistry.

- What subjects are you taking and with what exam board?
English Lit - AQA (Want a 7)
English Lang - AQA (Want a 7)
Chemistry - AQA (Want an A*)
Biology - AQA (Want an A*)
Geography - AQA A (Want an A*)
French - WJEC (Want an A)
Maths - Edexcel (Want a 9)
Cambridge Nationals ICT - OCR (Want a Distinc*)

-What subjects have you already taken and received results in?
Physics - AQA (A*)
ECDL (Distinc*)

-Do you think you're ready for Year 11 and the new GCSEs?Going to be hard but I think preparation is key. Mainly worried about English Lit & Lang.

-What's your favourite subject(s)?
Chemistry and Maths

-What's your dream career? To combine economics and chemical engingeering :biggrin:

Lets hope for a good year 11 with nice exams and low grade boundaries!

Well good luck for all you yr 11's hoping for nice exams and low grade boundaries; the exam boards will always try and screw you over, and I think the grade boundaries are unpredictable as you guys are doing the new spec. Work hard though and I am sure you will achieve great things!:h:
Original post by Zxrxh
hi i find the new maths and english spec really hard tbh

How different is it from the old spec?:smile:
The controlled assessment for sciences is a bit frustrating

We are supposed to be starting our physics one but because I do triple science it won't count as its unit 1 so I'll have to do my physics controlled assessment after mocks in like January/ Febuary which I'm scared is a bit too late I mean I should be getting into revisionand things then not still doing coursework
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bimball
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm with OCR gateway, and I've done the thermistor controlled assessment :yy:

sorry, but may i ask what you wrote for the hypothesis? i was told to write at least half a page,
Original post by sunshine774
How different is it from the old spec?:smile:

i agree, theyve added concepts from alevel material and the grade boundaries are supposed to be significantly higher

Latest