The Student Room Group

Help picking 5 unis for Law

Hi guys,

I'm reapplying for Law this year (my initial application was unsuccessful due to missing the grades on results day, but I've got what I initially needed from a remark.) I got A*AA in my A-levels (A* in English Lit, As in Spanish and Geography.)

I'm currently decided on:
UCL (original firm)
King's College London
Bristol (original insurance)

I got a 29/42 on my LNAT last year, but I don't know how comfortable I would feel about applying to 4 LNAT unis (although I realistically shouldn't have to worry too much about offers from an AAA course that doesn't require this, given that I got 5 offers last year.) I'm currently considering:

Cambridge (I don't think my GCSEs are good enough, but I have a very solid PS and met the grades, but calling it a risk is an understatement.)
Exeter
Warwick (not sure if I like the campus, but I know it's very popular)
Birmingham
LSE (I get a bad vibe from it, but its rep speaks for itself)
Queen Mary (I love London, not sure if I'm a fan of the uni)
Durham (not too sure really, but it's also an LNAT uni)

Any tips?

(Sorry if I come across as boastful, I really don't mean that. I'd just like some advice and given that I've taken a year out, I want to end up somewhere where I'll be happy.)
(edited 7 years ago)
Durham
Nottingham
Manchester
could be on your list.
I'd go, in this order:

Bristol
Durham
Nottingham
Warwick

In that order easily--if you want reasoning I will give you, but the stats speak for themselves.
Reply 3
Original post by Nickman22
I'd go, in this order:

Bristol
Durham
Nottingham
Warwick

In that order easily--if you want reasoning I will give you, but the stats speak for themselves.

Thank you! I think I'm going for UCL, King's, Bristol, Nottingham and Warwick, so pretty much what you said.

Durham is just a bit too far away for my liking, as great as it is.
Go to UCL, for law think about which unis are internationally known.
Cambridge doesn't care a ton about gcse's so maybe apply?

p.s does ucl accept resitters?
Reply 5
Original post by samantham999
Go to UCL, for law think about which unis are internationally known.
Cambridge doesn't care a ton about gcse's so maybe apply?

p.s does ucl accept resitters?

UCL is my first choice, and was my firm last year too, I just didn't get in due to originally missing the grades, but I did a remark and got what I needed. They told me that they would strong advise me to reapply, so fingers crossed haha.

I'm not sure actually, I would contact them directly to ask.
Original post by Jedwards
UCL is my first choice, and was my firm last year too, I just didn't get in due to originally missing the grades, but I did a remark and got what I needed. They told me that they would strong advise me to reapply, so fingers crossed haha.

I'm not sure actually, I would contact them directly to ask.

so you're not resitting?
Reply 7
so you're not resitting?

Nope, I got the grades first time round, but I stupidly didn't do a priority remark so they weren't back in time for the deadline to keep my offer :/

So I'm basically just doing a standard gap year and reapplying with my A-level grades as opposed to just predictions
Nope, I got the grades first time round, but I stupidly didn't do a priority remark so they weren't back in time for the deadline to keep my offer :/

So I'm basically just doing a standard gap year and reapplying with my A-level grades as opposed to just predictions

you should have sued the exam board. They have one job. Anyways, put UCL as your first choice.
Reply 9
you should have sued the exam board. They have one job. Anyways, put UCL as your first choice.

I've written a huge complaint to them, my mark went up by 41 UMS, I just don't understand how the hell that happens.

Anyway, I plan on doing so, hopefully I'll get the offer again :biggrin:
I've written a huge complaint to them, my mark went up by 41 UMS, I just don't understand how the hell that happens.

Anyway, I plan on doing so, hopefully I'll get the offer again :biggrin:

41UMS? what the f? you need to sue their asses, honestly just imagine those students who are taking a gap year to fix their a levels because of their effed up marking. lazy gits & good luck x

I'm hoping ucl will have economics in adjustment in 2017 or economics and stats like they did in 2014. I'm not sure if they accept resitters :/
Reply 11
41UMS? what the f? you need to sue their asses, honestly just imagine those students who are taking a gap year to fix their a levels because of their effed up marking. lazy gits & good luck x

I'm hoping ucl will have economics in adjustment in 2017 or economics and stats like they did in 2014. I'm not sure if they accept resitters :/

Thank you! I know, it's scary to think about it!

I know of someone who retook their A-levels and got an offer for computer science, so maybe it's not totally black and white. Best of luck to you, hopefully we'll both be there next year!
Thank you! I know, it's scary to think about it!

I know of someone who retook their A-levels and got an offer for computer science, so maybe it's not totally black and white. Best of luck to you, hopefully we'll both be there next year!

woah really? man, i hope so. I can't apply directly because my predicted grades are pretty bad (BBB)
did the person have good predicted grades/grades before applying and did they give reasons why they are resitting

man i hope so, this is the 2nd worst year of my life.
Reply 13
Original post by 999tigger
Durham
Nottingham
Manchester
could be on your list.

I agree, Nottingham is absolutely great for Law, one of the best in the country!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending