The Student Room Group

Which College Admits Affiliated Students for Law?

I am planning to do a second degree in Law. Anyone knows which College accepts affiliated students? Also, what are the costs of living in those Colleges that admit affiliated students?

Thank you so much for your help!
Reply 1
Original post by ottoto
I am planning to do a second degree in Law. Anyone knows which College accepts affiliated students? Also, what are the costs of living in those Colleges that admit affiliated students?

Afaik you can be affiliated at any college that offers law. But check individual college sites to be sure.

http://ba.law.cam.ac.uk/applying/

And college costs depend upon the college. Again, check their websites for details. But typically £8-£9k or so per year for living costs, excluding tuition fee.

(Edit to update: ) You will also have College Fees to pay as an affiliate student - these are typically a further £7-£8k.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ottoto

Those studying for second-degrees are liable for the College Fee, regardless of EU/UK or overseas, except students from the UK/EU who are studying for a second degree in Medicine, Veterinary Medicine or Architecture who do not normally have to pay a separate College fee.

Make sure that you're very sure of your reasons for wanting to study undergraduate Law as an affiliated student and that you wouldn't be better suited to a postgraduate course in Law (whether an academic course for scholarly interest or a professional/vocational qualification).
Reply 3
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Those studying for second-degrees are liable for the College Fee, regardless of EU/UK or overseas, except students from the UK/EU who are studying for a second degree in Medicine, Veterinary Medicine or Architecture who do not normally have to pay a separate College fee.

Ah! I'll amend my post :smile:
Original post by ottoto

All colleges do in principle admit affiliated students, but in practice, the range is quite limited (and some, such as Pembroke and St Catharine's almost never take affiliated students in Law). The majority of affiliated Law students are concentrated at Hughes Hall, Lucy Cavendish, St Edmund's, and Wolfson. Trinity is the only other College that routinely takes one or two a year, though Jesus, Peterhouse and St John's also admit affiliated Law students on a more than infrequent basis.

Where living costs are concerned, Lucy Cavendish is at present the only College with specific financial support for affiliated Law students, though other Colleges will have more general funds available.

I hope this helps!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Lucy Cavendish Admissions
All colleges do in principle admit affiliated students, but in practice, the range is quite limited (and some, such as Pembroke and St Catharine's almost never take affiliated students in Law). The majority of affiliated Law students are concentrated at Hughes Hall, Lucy Cavendish, St Edmund's, and Wolfson. Trinity is the only other College that routinely takes one or two a year, though Jesus, Peterhouse and St John's also admit affiliated Law students on a more than infrequent basis.

Where living costs are concerned, Lucy Cavendish is at present the only College with specific financial support for affiliated Law students, though other Colleges will have more general funds available.

I hope this helps!

Sure it does, thank you!
Reply 6
Original post by Lucy Cavendish Admissions

I hope this helps!

Would you encourage students to meet the October deadline rather than the March deadline?
Original post by ottoto
Would you encourage students to meet the October deadline rather than the March deadline?

You'll have a broader choice of colleges in October, certainly!
Reply 8
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone might be able to answer a fairly simple question I have regarding applying as an affiliated student to Cambridge for Law.

I am currently an undergraduate in the 3rd year of my 4 year degree and I have had a look at the Cambridge website where it says that in order to apply for a Second BA, one must have attained a 1st or high 2:1 at undergraduate level.

I was just wondering whether I should be applying through UCAS in the October of my final year (without my final degree results) or in the following October after I have completed my degree (with my final degree results but having been forced to take a 'gap year').

Thanks so much for your help,
Reply 9
Original post by ameno99
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone might be able to answer a fairly simple question I have regarding applying as an affiliated student to Cambridge for Law.

I am currently an undergraduate in the 3rd year of my 4 year degree and I have had a look at the Cambridge website where it says that in order to apply for a Second BA, one must have attained a 1st or high 2:1 at undergraduate level.

I was just wondering whether I should be applying through UCAS in the October of my final year (without my final degree results) or in the following October after I have completed my degree (with my final degree results but having been forced to take a 'gap year').

Thanks so much for your help,

Hi, you don't need to ask the same question in lots of different threads :smile:

As I also said in reply to one of your other posts, you can apply with predicted grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending