The Student Room Group

Missed distinction in masters by 0.4%?!

I have just got the results of my final module in my MSc (dissertation), and got 70.2% (distinction) and was so pleased but then I averaged out all of my modules and it only comes to 69.12%. I am absolutely gutted.

I have had a look at my academic regulations to see if there are any chances of it being rounded up, and apparently they round up if it is 69.5% or higher. But it also talks about including the 60 best CAT points as well - which doesn't make any sense as if you've already averaged out 'all' the masters level modules, what are the 'other' points from?

The wording is this:

21. A master’s degree is awarded with distinction when a student achieves an average mark of 70% or above calculated on the basis of all modules taken and passed at the master’s stage plus the best 60 CATS points’ worth of the other modules taken and passed (taking into account the weighting of the modules).

Can anyone shed any light on this? I have the faintest vaguest hope that it might mean you take all the modules, but include the best 60 CAT points a second time and take an average of the whole lot... because if it is that, then I've got a distinction. But that seems a bit of a stretch.

Can anyone help? I can't concentrate or think straight! I don't get my official results for months because it has to go through the exam board before it is 'official'.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheEmporersHat

The wording is this:

21. A master’s degree is awarded with distinction when a student achieves an average mark of 70% or above calculated on the basis of all modules taken and passed at the master’s stage plus the best 60 CATS points’ worth of the other modules taken and passed (taking into account the weighting of the modules).

It sounds as though they expect you to have taken some modules that aren't at Masters level? Have you?
Nope, just straightforward 180 cat point masters.
Nope, just straightforward 180 cat point masters.

Not clear then. Are you sure you calculated with the weighting applied?
Care to link to the regs so we can take a look? The mention of 'other modules taken' seems unusual. You're definitely looking at the section on postgraduate masters rather than undergraduate/integrated masters? I know it's no consolation, but future employers won't know or care what classification you got.
I don't think that looking over the regulations is helpful because it's all speculation.

Ask your course tutor/leader.
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
I don't think that looking over the regulations is helpful because it's all speculation.

Ask your course tutor/leader.

Huh? What's speculation? The regulations will provide the outcome to the OP's situation. I would be surprised if regular staff knew regulations chapter and verse - it'll be for the awards committee (or whatever they're called at each university) to apply them to each individual.
Thanks everyone. I've asked my course tutor and she said she isn't sure, I will have to wait until the exam board but since I got a distinction in my dissertation this would go in my favour. Unfortunately my class of degree does matter, the job I am applying for uses a number scoring system (more points for a distinction) and only the top however many candidates get interviewed.

Regulations are here:

http://www.glos.ac.uk/docs/download/Business/academic-regulations-for-taught-provision.pdf

Thanks everyone for your help.
Original post by Duncan2012
Huh? What's speculation? The regulations will provide the outcome to the OP's situation. I would be surprised if regular staff knew regulations chapter and verse - it'll be for the awards committee (or whatever they're called at each university) to apply them to each individual.

I'm saying that to cope with the headmash of it, if it were me, I would assume nothing until the final and official result is in.
Thanks everyone. I've asked my course tutor and she said she isn't sure, I will have to wait until the exam board but since I got a distinction in my dissertation this would go in my favour. Unfortunately my class of degree does matter, the job I am applying for uses a number scoring system (more points for a distinction) and only the top however many candidates get interviewed.

Regulations are here:

http://www.glos.ac.uk/docs/download/Business/academic-regulations-for-taught-provision.pdf

Thanks everyone for your help.

Para 2.1.7 note c under the table. This suggests there is a way to gain a Masters degree while not doing purely Masters level modules - ie they describe a requirement to do 60 CATS of Masters stage work, which presumably means they can do some that aren't thus designated. This is the same wording as used in your para 7.27.

If all your modules were at masters level, then I suspect none of this applies to you, and it is just the weighted average. I also don't see anything that gives the examiners any leeway in the numbers.
Hi all,

Thank you for your help. I moped about this for a while and mourned for the distinction I'd wanted. I realised I actually know someone who works professionally for a different university and is involved in applying the regulations there.

He took a look, and has said that if I had not done the dissertation module (60cat pts) then I could not have received a masters degree, as the other modules are at post-graduate diploma level. He said at his uni, they have the same regulation and take the dissertation module as the core masters level module, and additionally the top 60CAT points from the other modules that are technically post-grad diploma level, and average those. He worked mine out for me as 71.15%, so if he is right, I have got a distinction after all. But I have to wait until the classification board next week to find out for sure!

Do you think he might be right?
Hi all,

Thank you for your help. I moped about this for a while and mourned for the distinction I'd wanted. I realised I actually know someone who works professionally for a different university and is involved in applying the regulations there.

He took a look, and has said that if I had not done the dissertation module (60cat pts) then I could not have received a masters degree, as the other modules are at post-graduate diploma level. He said at his uni, they have the same regulation and take the dissertation module as the core masters level module, and additionally the top 60CAT points from the other modules that are technically post-grad diploma level, and average those. He worked mine out for me as 71.15%, so if he is right, I have got a distinction after all. But I have to wait until the classification board next week to find out for sure!

Do you think he might be right?

We'll see then! Please update us next week :smile: good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
My course leader contacted me today to let me know that I have got the distinction as it is the dissertation plus 60 best CAT points that are averaged. I'm so happy - thanks for the support on here. 😀

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending