The Student Room Group

I want to drop out

Hey :smile:
I've been in uni studying history for about 3 and a half weeks now, and I've realised that I'm not on the right course. I've tried to talk to my uni but theey wont let me change course, and I'm really miserable and depressed. I've decided I want to drop out of uni, but my parents are totally against it even though they know I'm depressed (and I have anxiety). I want to take a gap year to work and maybe travel, and then sign up for a different course next year. Has anyone here been in a similar situtuation? Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with my parents and convince them it wont ruin my life?
Thanks xxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's up to you at the end of the day and if you feel really unhappy then i personally think you should take a year out
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi,
Yeah I feel like I was rushed into uni aswell, like the choice was made for me. I just can't face the idea of staying and sitting exams just for the sake of it, and not really knowing what for. I need to convice my parents though, I've talked to them and they wont let me drop out unless I find something to do during my gap year. May I ask you what you did during your gap year?
Thank you so much for your reply I appreciate it. Xxxx
Whilst you have the opportunity, search for an Apprenticeship (higher level) that you will enjoy. If you pass the first year of Uni, you will be overqualified and unable to ever apply.
Reply 4
Original post by megmrsh
Hi,
Yeah I feel like I was rushed into uni aswell, like the choice was made for me. I just can't face the idea of staying and sitting exams just for the sake of it, and not really knowing what for. I need to convice my parents though, I've talked to them and they wont let me drop out unless I find something to do during my gap year. May I ask you what you did during your gap year?
Thank you so much for your reply I appreciate it. Xxxx

it's not an issue at all!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
i think you need to be able to better articulate the problem to your parents. they are naturally going to be frustrated as it seems like you're being very indecisive at a crucial time in your life when you need to be focused and on track.

whatever you choose to do make sure you consider the real practial implications for things like student finance.
You have spent 3 and a half years in the degree and you realising now its not for you isn't ideal... How will you get funding for another degree? At least finish off your degree you don't have to work in history but it provides a lot instead of just saying you wasted all of the time. When in depression you always don't think straight logic goes out of the roof. If you need a year out thats fine but do finish your degree how long of it is left?
Reply 7
Original post by Pn2020
Hi, do you know what to do after your degree? I'm going to get work experience placements with what I want to do in my gap year so I have more of an insight and I'm going to hopefully complete my driving and get my license. I'm also considering on some travelling programmes but I ATM I'm looking at unis and open days. Honestly taking a gap year isn't a bad thing. I initially thought if I did everyone at uni would be younger than me but before I withdrew on my accomodation fb page half the people were 19/20/21 so it's not an issue at all!

No, I have no idea what to do after my degree thats one of the issues I have... Oh ok, I guess its alot easier when you have an idea of what you want to do :smile: yeah I'm a bit worried that everyone will be younger than me next year but I guess there will be people my age aswell :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by iThrow
i think you need to be able to better articulate the problem to your parents. they are naturally going to be frustrated as it seems like you're being very indecisive at a crucial time in your life when you need to be focused and on track.

whatever you choose to do make sure you consider the real practial implications for things like student finance.

Yeah I'm trying to get through to them, my father is warming to the idea but my mother is very dissapointed whoch isn't making things easier :frown: I've checked everything about my finances and I think I've got that side of things sorted out (for the most part)
Reply 9
I'm fairly sure in my uni the cut of date for leaving your course if 4 weeks, so if you're truly not enjoying it then leave. It can be daunting going against your parents wishes at first, but really, what is a year in the grand scheme of things? Take a gap year and figure it out, just make sure you do something productive that may help to show your parents you're serious about this, and not just mucking around.The worse thing that will happen is that you have to give back some of your loan, and apply again next year.

I would advise you call up student finance and UCAS and ask them what the score is in terms of paying back and applying for uni next year (IF you decide to!), and double checking any cut of dates with them as well as the uni.

Life is too short and too percious to be worrying about what your parents will think. This time next year it will all be forgotten.
Reply 10
Original post by Epistemolog y
You have spent 3 and a half years in the degree and you realising now its not for you isn't ideal... How will you get funding for another degree? At least finish off your degree you don't have to work in history but it provides a lot instead of just saying you wasted all of the time. When in depression you always don't think straight logic goes out of the roof. If you need a year out thats fine but do finish your degree how long of it is left?

No it's been 3 and a half WEEKS.... so that means I'd have 3 years left :/
Original post by Epistemolog y

No, three and a half weeks. At least read the friggin post!
Original post by megmrsh
Hey :smile:
I've been in uni studying history for about 3 and a half weeks now, and I've realised that I'm not on the right course. I've tried to talk to my uni but theey wont let me change course, and I'm really miserable and depressed. I've decided I want to drop out of uni, but my parents are totally against it even though they know I'm depressed (and I have anxiety). I want to take a gap year to work and maybe travel, and then sign up for a different course next year. Has anyone here been in a similar situtuation? Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with my parents and convince them it wont ruin my life?
Thanks xxx

They cant stop you dropping out.
Your parents will be worried you are throwing away uni.

Go and talk to your tutor, the SU advisor and maybe careers. That way you cna show your parents all these people agree with you about your choice. They will find that harder to argue with.

Do some research on what course you want to do and that you have the grades to get in. That might reassure them you have a plan. You cna tell them you ave talked to the uni concerned. Alternatively if you know the career you wnat then enough information can show them you have a career plan and the degree fits with it.

Make them aware the sooner you leave the less fees you have to pay, so its foolish to stay for a course you will change.

They are just worried about you and your future. If you show them a viable plan rather than quitting and becoming a bum they are more likely to go along with things.
Reply 13
Original post by PippaStu
I'm fairly sure in my uni the cut of date for leaving your course if 4 weeks, so if you're truly not enjoying it then leave. It can be daunting going against your parents wishes at first, but really, what is a year in the grand scheme of things? Take a gap year and figure it out, just make sure you do something productive that may help to show your parents you're serious about this, and not just mucking around.The worse thing that will happen is that you have to give back some of your loan, and apply again next year.

I would advise you call up student finance and UCAS and ask them what the score is in terms of paying back and applying for uni next year (IF you decide to!), and double checking any cut of dates with them as well as the uni.

Life is too short and too percious to be worrying about what your parents will think. This time next year it will all be forgotten.

Yeah I'm not enjoying it' I think I just need time to figure things out, and I plan on working during my gap year, to find out what I want. Thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by megmrsh
Yeah I'm trying to get through to them, my father is warming to the idea but my mother is very dissapointed whoch isn't making things easier :frown: I've checked everything about my finances and I think I've got that side of things sorted out (for the most part)

yeah but you're not giving her much to play with. your plan instead of uni is "work and maybe travel" - hardly sounds like a well thought-out plan set in stone (not to be rude im just blunt :biggrin:) especially since your plan presumably for the past couple years has been all about getting into uni to study history. you need to present your parents with a concrete plan on what you want to do for the next year - don't be indecisive, make a decision and stick to it, whatever the consequences.

you said you felt the history degree was a decision made for you (or words to that effect) so this time make a decision that is 100% your choice and own that decision.
Reply 15
Original post by 999tigger
They cant stop you dropping out.
Your parents will be worried you are throwing away uni.

Go and talk to your tutor, the SU advisor and maybe careers. That way you cna show your parents all these people agree with you about your choice. They will find that harder to argue with.

Do some research on what course you want to do and that you have the grades to get in. That might reassure them you have a plan. You cna tell them you ave talked to the uni concerned. Alternatively if you know the career you wnat then enough information can show them you have a career plan and the degree fits with it.

Make them aware the sooner you leave the less fees you have to pay, so its foolish to stay for a course you will change.

They are just worried about you and your future. If you show them a viable plan rather than quitting and becoming a bum they are more likely to go along with things.

Yeah I'll go and see who I can talk to you about it, I've checked and I have the grades to access the course I want to do next year so thats not a problem. I'm also looking for a temporary job to do during my gap year so they won't think I'm just being lazy.
Reply 16
Original post by iThrow
yeah but you're not giving her much to play with. your plan instead of uni is "work and maybe travel" - hardly sounds like a well thought-out plan set in stone (not to be rude im just blunt :biggrin:) especially since your plan presumably for the past couple years has been all about getting into uni to study history. you need to present your parents with a concrete plan on what you want to do for the next year - don't be indecisive, make a decision and stick to it, whatever the consequences.

you said you felt the history degree was a decision made for you (or words to that effect) so this time make a decision that is 100% your choice and own that decision.

Yes I know I'm just desperate to get out of there, I'm trying to find something. I haven't really had that much of a plan, I just had to make a decision last school year and was kind of pushed towards history :/ I want to continue my education next year, but my Mum doesn't beleive that I'll go back after a year off
Original post by megmrsh
Yeah I'll go and see who I can talk to you about it, I've checked and I have the grades to access the course I want to do next year so thats not a problem. I'm also looking for a temporary job to do during my gap year so they won't think I'm just being lazy.

Your parents just wnat you to be an adult. Understand their fears and point of biew then give them the reassurance they need. You cna show them its well thought out and smart. They will agree with you, eventually.
Original post by jambojim97
No, three and a half weeks. At least read the friggin post!

Original post by megmrsh
No it's been 3 and a half WEEKS.... so that means I'd have 3 years left :/

Sorry. Just take a gap year then and get a part-time job travel and find an interest. Are you hapy with your grades and univeristy maybe retake some modules?
Reply 19
Original post by megmrsh
Yes I know I'm just desperate to get out of there, I'm trying to find something. I haven't really had that much of a plan, I just had to make a decision last school year and was kind of pushed towards history :/ I want to continue my education next year, but my Mum doesn't beleive that I'll go back after a year off

still feels like something doesn't really add up though. what exactly about the course do you not like or what makes it seem so radically different than you thought it would be? is there any social factors creeping into your decision?

another blunt point but i bet you if you searched the forums for "depression" or "anxiety" you'd probably find lots of threads like this, citing that very same reason. not to doubt your particular case as i dont know you but surely it can't be as many as there is - at least not legitimately.

Quick Reply

Latest