The Student Room Group

Further maths for electrical engineering?

I'm currently doing 4 A levels: Maths, Physics, Computer Science and Systems and Control (in Y12).

I am wanting to go on to study Electrical/Computer engineering at university.
Thing is I hear a lot about how further maths can benefit when applying to good universities as well as how it gives you an advantage in not having to learn more maths. I didn't choose further maths because while I love physics and electronics, (got A*s in both at GCSE) I struggle with maths ( or at least I don't like it, I got a low A in GCSE in it). Doing further maths would kill me, especially since I enjoy my current A levels.

Should I drop one of my subjects to do further maths? Will not doing further maths effect me as much as if I was doing structural engineering ( as I know that involves a lot more maths). What can I do to make up for not doing further maths?

Also another side question:

Southampton university will let you do a Beng with grades AAA and Meng with grades A*AA for electrical engineering.
Loughborough university will let you do a Beng with grades AAB and Meng with grades AAA for electrical engineering.
Lets say I get AAA at A-level, would it be better to do the Beng and southhampton or the Meng at Loughborough? (southhampton is in the top 3 or 4 for electrical engineering in the UK).

Thanks in advance for any help.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by James2021
I'm currently doing 4 A levels: Maths, Physics, Computer Science and Systems and Control (in Y12).

Thing is I hear a lot about how further maths can benefit when applying to good universities as well as how it gives you an advantage in not having to learn more maths. I didn't choose further maths because while I love physics and electronics, (got A*s in both at GCSE) I struggle with maths ( or at least I don't like it, I got a low A in GCSE in it). Doing further maths would kill me, especially since I enjoy my current A levels.

Should I drop one of my subjects to do further maths? Will not doing further maths effect me as much as if I was doing structural engineering ( as I know that involves a lot more maths). What can I do to make up for not doing further maths?

Drop the rubbish A level for Further Maths would be my choice.
Reply 2

Also another side question:

Southampton university will let you do a Beng with grades AAA and Meng with grades A*AA for electrical engineering.
Loughborough university will let you do a Beng with grades AAB and Meng with grades AAA for electrical engineering.
Lets say I get AAA at A-level, would it be better to do the Beng and southhampton or the Meng at Loughborough? (southhampton is in the top 3 or 4 for electrical engineering in the UK).

Thanks in advance for any help.

No you'll be fine with just standard maths. However, if you dislike maths I would advise you not to pursue electronic engineering as it has tonnes of maths involved.

Apply for BEng at all your unis as it has lower requirements. You can change your course to MEng after your first or second year if you achieve 60% (usually around this percentage, depends on your uni).
I didnt do further maths & got on fine
Reply 4
Original post by vela1
No you'll be fine with just standard maths. However, if you dislike maths I would advise you not to pursue electronic engineering as it has tonnes of maths involved.

Apply for BEng at all your unis as it has lower requirements. You can change your course to MEng after your first or second year if you achieve 60% (usually around this percentage, depends on your uni).

What sort of maths is involved? It would depend on the type of maths as some of it I don't mind.
What else could I do to supplement the maths in the course without taking further maths as an entire A-level?
Reply 5
Original post by moeeahmed
I didnt do further maths & got on fine

What did you do at uni?
Reply 6
What sort of maths is involved? It would depend on the type of maths as some of it I don't mind.
What else could I do to supplement the maths in the course without taking further maths as an entire A-level?

Look at the modules at different universities, it'll give you the best insight into the type of maths involved. There's a fair bit of core maths from what I know; laplace transforms, differential equations, complex numbers etc as well as decision maths.

You're missing the point I'm making. You will not be left behind in your course if you haven't studied FM, the course will be taught with an assumed knowledge of standard maths only. You stated you struggled with maths so I was saying that EEE might not be for you when you'll be expected to study rather complex mathematics for 3-4 years.
Reply 7
Original post by vela1
Look at the modules at different universities, it'll give you the best insight into the type of maths involved. There's a fair bit of core maths from what I know; laplace transforms, differential equations, complex numbers etc as well as decision maths.

You're missing the point I'm making. You will not be left behind in your course if you haven't studied FM, the course will be taught with an assumed knowledge of standard maths only. You stated you struggled with maths so I was saying that EEE might not be for you when you'll be expected to study rather complex mathematics for 3-4 years.

Ah well fair enough but aslong as i try hard i can achieve an A in maths Alevel right? xD Or is that for the A* students only 0_0
Do it, Further Maths will definitely help you with any Engineering degree
Reply 9
Further maths with emphasis on mechanics and fp modules would be the best idea. If you really don't like maths then why would you choose to study engineering?
Reply 10
Original post by AAls
Further maths with emphasis on mechanics and fp modules would be the best idea. If you really don't like maths then why would you choose to study engineering?

Because i enjoy everything else to do with it especially since i did so well at GCSE in Physics and Electronics.

Could i perhaps do an AS in it? Is it possible to sit individual modules for FMaths?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
I did electronics at college.
Our maths was too difficult for the college lecturers to teach.
A maths lecturer from the local university had to teach us.

One of the standards books is "Engineering Mathematics" by K A Stroud
there is a thread about it here

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=424107
Reply 12
My school only does M1 and thats the last module of A2. God Dammit
Reply 13
Do Universities recognise Systems and Control A level? Will it give me even a slight advantage? I dont want to drop it because i really enjoy it >.<

Quick Reply

Latest