The Student Room Group

TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lcsurfer
Given my GMC number with the statement 'this does not make you a doctor yet' haha... Also final year starts officially tomorrow (terrifying), but also I want to avoid the first week of peoples smug stories about their exotic electives while I worked/did A&E in a DGH

Ah this is my fourth week back and people have stopped talking about them, but the exotic photos on facebook are still being uploaded...though I'm not bitter or anything!

I registered for the Oriel system today and have already encountered a couple of problems, which does not instill confidence in this whole application process ha. Good luck this year :biggrin:
Original post by Maxxie
Ah this is my fourth week back and people have stopped talking about them, but the exotic photos on facebook are still being uploaded...though I'm not bitter or anything!

I registered for the Oriel system today and have already encountered a couple of problems, which does not instill confidence in this whole application process ha. Good luck this year :biggrin:

yeah haha... I drew a picture of me on a post it note in A&E on a tropical island to show off.

I did that too, it won't let me go past the part where you input the GMC number in as it goes 'THIS IS NOT A REAL NUMBER'. the joy! Very happy with my decile ranking though, debating looking at AFP's :/ How has this happened so fast, 3 years have gone too quick*
New 1st year UCL med student here! Can finally post in this thread haha :biggrin:
After so much SJT practice I keep feeling like I'm living in an SJT scenario

You have just clerked a patient on the surgical assessment unit. He requires an intimate examination but you are not confident in performing this procedure. You have scheduled teaching in 10 minutes but there are no doctors on the ward to handover to. You also have not yet had the chance to have lunch. Rank the following actions in order of appropriateness:

A: Handover to the PA student who happens to be nearby and hope he deals with it

B: Wander through the ward asking all the nurses if they've seen any doctors around for however long it takes

C: Leave for teaching and come back later; the patient almost definitely wasn't dying

D: Give the notes to literally anyone and just go home

E: Play on your phone in the sluice until the problem somehow solves itself...
Reply 604
Original post by Ghotay
After so much SJT practice I keep feeling like I'm living in an SJT scenario

You have just clerked a patient on the surgical assessment unit. He requires an intimate examination but you are not confident in performing this procedure. You have scheduled teaching in 10 minutes but there are no doctors on the ward to handover to. You also have not yet had the chance to have lunch. Rank the following actions in order of appropriateness:

A: Handover to the PA student who happens to be nearby and hope he deals with it

B: Wander through the ward asking all the nurses if they've seen any doctors around for however long it takes

C: Leave for teaching and come back later; the patient almost definitely wasn't dying

D: Give the notes to literally anyone and just go home

E: Play on your phone in the sluice until the problem somehow solves itself...

Who's supervising you/supposed to see the patient or be presented to? Bleep them & say you've clerked & your plan would be xyz but you need to leave for teaching?

Or if you're just doing a clerking for personal learning then C)?

( My life is a Paeds themed 3 children juggling SJT right now! :biggrin: )
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by purplefrog
Anybody from up north able to give any advice on deciding between where I should set my sights for F1 in terms Leeds/Sheffield/Newcastle? Both in terms of living there and (if any knowledge) on hospitals etc.? Trying to flee London and want a change of scenery...
Also if anybody wants insights into London, drop me a message and I can answer questions :-)

Can also help with living in Newcastle (I've not had any placements in Newcastle hospitals but I can tell you about hospitals elsewhere in Northern eg. James Cook, Darlington, Durham, South Tyneside, Sunderland).

I would also like some info about Leeds and Sheffield if anyone can help, also about Nottingham and Lincoln :smile:
Original post by SilverArch
Can also help with living in Newcastle (I've not had any placements in Newcastle hospitals but I can tell you about hospitals elsewhere in Northern eg. James Cook, Darlington, Durham, South Tyneside, Sunderland).

I would also like some info about Leeds and Sheffield if anyone can help, also about Nottingham and Lincoln :smile:

Its a year off for me, but do you recommend those areas? I'm thinking of heading somewhere up north (Was looking at the Sheffield deanery last night) in order to be able to afford to save some money and start a retirement plan, given that I'll be 30 and not paid in to any pension yet :eek:
Haven't the Yorkshire deaneries all merhed now?
Original post by Ghotay

Not according to their website. I looked the other day and they were still separate. Are they planning on merging?
Original post by Elles
Who's supervising you/supposed to see the patient or be presented to? Bleep them & say you've clerked & your plan would be xyz but you need to leave for teaching?

Or if you're just doing a clerking for personal learning then C)?

( My life is a Paeds themed 3 children juggling SJT right now! :biggrin: )

This is an SJT! They aren't going to let you put a sensible answer!
Original post by Ghotay

Original post by ForestCat
Not according to their website. I looked the other day and they were still separate. Are they planning on merging?

My understanding is that Yorkshire and the Humber is one UoA on the application form, but once you're allocated to Yorkshire you then get allocated your region (North and East, West or South). So on the one hand you have more time to decide which area you prefer if you're unsure, but on the other you're more likely to end up with the region you really wanted to avoid than you were a couple of years ago..
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SilverArch
My understanding is that Yorkshire and the Humber is one UoA on the application form, but once you're allocated to Yorkshire you then get allocated your region (North and East, West or South). So on the one hand you have more time to decide which area you prefer if you're unsure, but on the other you're more likely to end up with the region you really wanted to avoid than you were a couple of years ago..

Oh, that sounds much less appealing now.
Reply 612
Original post by nexttime
This is an SJT! They aren't going to let you put a sensible answer!

Good point! :tongue:

The GP exam lets you justify yourself/complain about the scenario!
(edited 7 years ago)
Is it just me, or can anyone else not be ****ed with clinical years. Legit is this just 3 years of shadowing
Original post by Asklepios
Is it just me, or can anyone else not be ****ed with clinical years. Legit is this just 3 years of shadowing

Welcome to my life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I felt like that, now I just tend to disappear and do my own thing and try to make it I teresting/worthwhile. Hoping time speeds up a little though.
Original post by ForestCat
Welcome to my life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like I still want to be a doctor, but I'm just already sick of sitting in the corner of a little clinic room watching some guy dictate notes. Obviously there's still some more interesting things to do like history taking etc, but feel like i spend most of the time pissing about and finding people

Find a junior that is willing to teach and get you involved with ward work.

And you've only just started!

I spent the whole of yesterday literally doing pretty much all of the jobs just the same as the FY1s on the ward, except for prescribing and discharge summaries. I recognise that there's still so much to learn, but at this point I wish I could continue my learning while having a job, being paid, and being an official member of a team (even if I will get rotated out every 4mo, at least some people will learn my name!)

Bleh. I can't wait for paeds and O&G; at least the information will be new to me and I'll feel like it's worth going in
im enjoying primary care atm since youre doing the whole consultation (regardless how miniscule it is) and the GPs are always teaching.
havent had this much "clinical" teaching since ive stepped into clinicals. :colondollar: (and feel more significant rather than just sitting at a corner)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending