The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Saracen's Fez
Cambridge is surprisingly dry to be fair, for someone who is used to Welsh levels of rain it seemed to only rain a handful of times last year.

Anywhere is dry compared to wales. :tongue:
Original post by vincrows
Anywhere is dry compared to wales. :tongue:

Other than Ireland. :tongue:
Original post by EnglishMuon
wth I questioned my mum this morning as to why I have 4 suitcases, as they are apparently full of essentials. I then opened one of the bags to find 2x2kg bags of tesco basmati rice...

That is essential.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
That is essential.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah I just have to find which bag the rice cooker is in now
My mum laughs at me everytime I say I can cook rice

@EnglishMuon I'll buy cooked rice off you when I need it ok
Original post by Serine Soul
My mum laughs at me everytime I say I can cook rice

@EnglishMuon I'll buy cooked rice off you when I need it ok

that can be part of the payment if u want :lol:
I mean the good thing about cooking rice/pasta is its hard to burn the water atleast
yeah I just have to find which bag the rice cooker is in now

Don't forget to register the rice cooker at the porter's and get a sticker on when you arrive. Or they'll confiscate unregistered electric cooking appliances.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1767
Don't forget to register the rice cooker at the porter's and get a sticker on when you arrive. Or they'll confisticate unregistered electric cooking appliances.

Some colleges don't allow you to have heating appliances at all... so the best policy may be to not mention it and put it away when the kitchen/your room is being cleaned.
Don't forget to register the rice cooker at the porter's and get a sticker on when you arrive. Or they'll confisticate unregistered electric cooking appliances.

They might need to confisticate the letters 'ti' as well :-P

This feels a bit like school... "don't use your rice cookers during university time or they will be confiscated and your parents will have to come and collecr them" :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alow
Some colleges don't allow you to have heating appliances at all... so the best policy may be to not mention it and put it away when the kitchen/your room is being cleaned.

ummmm.....not too sure about that. The point of the system is to avoid a risk of fire by a faulty appliances/equipment which was not checked and approved by them.
If something happens because of your unregistered appliances, you'll have to bear the responsibility.
If @EnglishMuon's college really doesn't permit use of appliances, I don't want to advice or suggest anything what to do (:tongue:), but if they do, it'd be better to follow the official rule. It's much easier (saves you from hassle of hiding) and it does protect yourself in case an unfortunate event happens.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Krollo
They might need to confisticate the letters 'ti' as well :-P

This feels a bit like school... "don't use your rice cookers during university time or they will be confiscated and your parents will have to come and collecr them" :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Read my post above.
It's for safety reason.
Seriously, it's not complicated.
Once it's registered and stickered, you can use it until you graduate. That's all.
(edited 7 years ago)
Read my post above.
It's for safety reason.
Seriously, it's not complicated.
Once it's registered and stickered, you can use it until you graduate. That's all.

Lol I'm only joking :-P

I would say chill but I haven't registered my minifridge yet :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't forget to register the rice cooker at the porter's and get a sticker on when you arrive. Or they'll confiscate unregistered electric cooking appliances.

lol dw I wont be bringing a rice cooker, im way to impractical for stuff like that :tongue: . Dont think we are even allowed toasted sandwich makers.
lol dw I wont be bringing a rice cooker, im way to impractical for stuff like that :tongue: . Dont think we are even allowed toasted sandwich makers.

Thought a rice cooker was for impractical people who can't cook rice without a machine.....:tongue:
My daughter's Japanese friend had a rice cooker.
My daughter bought microwaveable vacuum-packed rice from sainsbuty's. < a model of impractical person
Other than Ireland. :tongue:

Actually, my daughter went to snowdonia last weekend with her colleagues for camping/climbing. Came home with soaking wet clothes, hiking boots, etc.
The weather was so bad with rain and strong wind when they were climbing the mountain, they found one of their tents's metal (?) support was snapped in half when they came back to their camping site.......

She went to Brecon Beacon some years ago for DofE expedition. Came back with soaking wet and muddy clothes, tent, mat, etc......... The weather was really bad with heavy rain and strong wind, some of their groups got lost and the school staff had to call a rescue helicopter to search them.......
The students a year above had even worse weather the previous year and one of the girls had to be air-lifted to a hospital because of hyperthermia.

I see some common pattern here..........:tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Serine Soul
Haha I've packed a decent bit but honestly it's not gotten into my head yet that I'm genuinely going :lol:

Maybe its just always been something I've kept in my head and it's taking me time to realise it's actually becoming real
I just hope it's not all a huge disappointment XD

Original post by RyanW97
I don't think it's going to actually sink in until we arrive! And it's probably the same for everyone, a couple of people from my sixth form got in and they said exactly the same thing the other day :smile:

I will be arriving in less than 24 hours and it still doesn't feel real :K:
Actually, my daughter went to snowdonia last weekend with her colleagues for camping/climbing. Came home with soaking wet clothes, hiking boots, etc.
The weather was so bad with rain and strong wind when they were climbing the mountain, they found one of their tents's metal (?) support was snapped in half.........

She went to Brecon Beacon some years ago for DofE expedition. Came back with soaking wet and muddy clothes, tent, mat, etc......... The weather was really bad with heavy rain and strong wind, some of their groups got lost and the school staff had to call a rescue helicopter to search them.......
The previous year a similar thing happened with the students a year older. One of the girls had to be air-lifted to a hospital because of hyperthermia.

I see some common pattern here..........:tongue:

In all fairness it did absolutely chuck it down last weekend. We had to actually light the fire for the first time this winter.

Snowdonia's not too bad (at least it's populated) but the Beacons can be (in many cases literally) lethal. People are regularly rescued by helicopter and there seem to be incidents involving SAS training going very wrong on an almost regular basis. It's a brave choice of location to do a DofE expedition to be honest and almost nobody lives actually within the Brecon Beacons themselves.

If you come to the bit in between Snowdonia and the Brecon Beacons we have rather more gentle hills and probably better weather as a result though.
In all fairness it did absolutely chuck it down last weekend. We had to actually light the fire for the first time this winter.

Snowdonia's not too bad (at least it's populated) but the Beacons can be (in many cases literally) lethal. People are regularly rescued by helicopter and there seem to be incidents involving SAS training going very wrong on an almost regular basis. It's a brave choice of location to do a DofE expedition to be honest and almost nobody lives actually within the Brecon Beacons themselves.

If you come to the bit in between Snowdonia and the Brecon Beacons we have rather more gentle hills and probably better weather as a result though.

One of the colleagues is a welsh and that was his idea to go to snowdonia 'so that people can enjoy beautiful wales.' Another colleague who's from Uruguay likes the idea a lot because he'd never been to Wales. They all confirmed wales is very wet. :tongue:
But to be fair they all seemed to have enjoyed a lot, in spite of the weather.
On the way to the top,of snowdonia they came across a group of young people shivering with their flip-flopped feet........

Her school always does, their DofE expedition for silver and gold in Brecon Beacon. Many schools does, too.
I know a girl's school in north London that does their DofE expedition in Amersham (terminal station of metropolitan line, London undergraound), going there and coming back on a tube........
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alow

love homerton lmao.
no kettles no mini fridges nothing. ive kept my kettle anyway.
Original post by physicsmaths
love homerton lmao.
no kettles no mini fridges nothing. ive kept my kettle anyway.

Most colleges do not allow mini-fridge.
What about other cooking appliances like toasted sandwich maker or rice cooker?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending