The Student Room Group

To All Religious People

To you, does faith overrule logic?
By that I mean, if I could logically prove the likelihood of a god existing is equal to that of a unicorn would you still have faith in its existence?

Lastly, do you think it's right to make kids have faith in something which in terms of likelihood of existing is equal to that of a unicorn?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

In my religion there's a teaching which says you can be an agnostic until you have a godly experience and that's me at the moment. I'm luck my faith is a chilled out one though :u:

As for the last question, I wouldn't really introduce religion to my kids. I can teach them to respect people and nature without religion. If they wanted to be religious when they grew up, that's their choice.
Reply 2
Original post by XOR_
I could logically prove the likelihood of a god existing is equal to that of a unicorn would you still have faith in it's existence

i bet they'd agree with you for all the thousands of other gods that have been suggested. just not the one mummy and daddy said was real :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
In my religion there's a teaching which says you can be an agnostic until you have a godly experience and that's me at the moment. I'm luck my faith is a chilled out one though :u:

What religion are you?
Original post by UWS
What religion are you?

Pastafarianist and proud :colone:

Spoiler

Original post by XOR_
By that I mean, if I could logically prove the likelihood of a god existing is equal to that of a unicorn would you still have faith in it's existence?

Lastly, do you think it's right to make kids have faith in something which in terms of likelihood of existing is equal to that of a unicorn?

Unicorns exist XOR
What are you trying to say....

Spoiler

Before all this, define "religious". :curious:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Unicorns exist XOR
What are you trying to say....

Spoiler

Cheese, I've got something to tell you, take a seat..
Reply 8
Why is Jesus portrayed in pictures as some white man with long hair and a beard?
Original post by XOR_
Cheese, I've got something to tell you, take a seat..

That face is so illuminati, I would run so very far away before thinking of sitting down

Spoiler

Original post by Zeus007
Why is Jesus portrayed in pictures as some white man with long hair and a beard?

No idea why but his face reminded me of a wrestler's. Must be the long hair tbh.
Original post by XOR_
By that I mean, if I could logically prove the likelihood of a god existing is equal to that of a unicorn would you still have faith in it's existence?

Being serious (a rare occurrence, I am aware :tongue:)
Prove it :colone:
Why not? Give em some hope eh :tongue:
Reply 12
Pastafarianist and proud :colone:

Spoiler

Ahh, are you a strict follower then or more laid back with the traditional beliefs?

Spoiler

Original post by UWS
Ahh, are you a strict follower then or more laid back with the traditional beliefs?

Spoiler

I'm more laid back :smile: It's a chilled faith to believe in to be honest.
Reply 14
i interpreted the picture differently

Reply 15
tbh if people dont like the religion they are brought up upon they can and have the freewill to leave.
Reply 16
No idea why but his face reminded me of a wrestler's. Must be the long hair tbh.

Yeah, his going to dropkick you into hell for not believing in him.
Original post by mkap
tbh if people dont like the religion they are brought up upon they can and have the freewill to leave.

They can.But only if they posess the necessary critical thinking skills.Its pretty much brainwashing.And we are inclined through evolution to listen to our parents otherwise we would end up dead.Ever wonder why most children are afraid of the dark and think there are monsters under the bed? Thats because of evolution.If children were not scared of the dark they would be eaten by some predator.In the same way children believe the things their parents say because if they didnt then in the past they'd end up dead.
Original post by XOR_

You can throw all the logic in the world at me if you want but it'll never sway me from my faith because logic can't make me un-experience God.
How can you tell that the experience(s) was God and not just a mental perception based on the idea of a God?

Quick Reply