The Student Room Group

Why are females abused for gaming?

Do you think it's true that females who do gaming for a living get abuse due to their gender, or are the culprits targeting anyone and some just happen to be women. Just read this news article I didn't know that this problem existed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/37492437/female-gamers-they-tell-me-they-are-going-to-kill-me

If it's true why do you think females are targeted?

Scroll to see replies

For sure it's because they are women. Before menisists start crying, that does not mean this never happens to men, but if you look at the proportion of women it's happening to, versus the proportion of men...
Everybody gets abused. It's the internet and people are morons. However, for women their gender can be the subject of attack whereas this doesn't (usually) happen with men.
Reply 3
happens to men and women at exactly the same rate. the difference is the women tend to have huge audiences so tiny % of people can still be a reasonable number in absolute terms. that's just part of the deal imo if you use methods which you know are going to attract that kind of person. it's not like they don't realize that they are going to draw out the 13 year olds.
Reply 4
Original post by yudothis
For sure it's because they are women. Before menisists start crying, that does not mean this never happens to men, but if you look at the proportion of women it's happening to, versus the proportion of men...

Why do you think it happens though. Here's another article but try to forgive me for it being the daily mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3454588/Women-gamers-reveal-vile-online-abuse-receive-DAY-men-say-kitchen.html

I can understand lack of gender acceptance happening in other areas for example women serving on the front line as men do have more physical strength (an important factor) but I wouldn't have thought that creating games and gaming is perceived as being done any better by males. Both sex's generally are creative and I thought it had always been seen as the case.
(edited 7 years ago)
It happens to everybody.

It just so happens that being a woman gives the flamers and trolls something to latch on to.

If they didn't know the target was a woman, they'd just cuss out their Mums, or implore imminent death.
What a load of old shite.
Reply 7
They get insulted because everyone does it's part of the gaming culture.

The reason people use the insults they do is to get a reaction and when it comes to a lot of females using those insults gets a reaction, it's the Internet most people just go trolling.
I think it's because the dialect of teenagers can often be highly critical and gender focused and gaming is actually quite a competitive pursuit in some areas. This combination of people who cannot articulate themselves well enough coupled with the same kind of aggression you see from teenagers playing football in the park can create a very poor atmosphere for women. Internet anonymity doesn't help, it's also worth noting that gaming is a refuge for people who have social disabilities such as those on the autistic spectrum. Ultimately all these issues combined can create an environment in which women are effectively dehumanised. Once a group of people have been dehumanised it is possible to do absolutely anything to them without feeling even the smallest amount of guilt as empathy becomes more difficult.

Anyone who has ever played a video game online has been called every hateful slur under the sun, whilst I think that's true regardless of gender I feel women who play games are still seen as such a foreign entity that they are often specifically targeted.

I genuinely love video games but I had to learn to never play competitive games with a headset or use any kind of text chat, because it is full of hate from people who find the indirect anger and frustration of others hilarious.
Original post by BasicMistake
Everybody gets abused. It's the internet and people are morons. However, for women their gender can be the subject of attack whereas this doesn't (usually) happen with men.

I tend to disagree. It is a different kind of harassment, and it happens much more.
Reply 10
I tend to disagree. It is a different kind of harassment, and it happens much more.

yeah its a different kind of harrassment but it doesn't happen at any greater frequency. the difference is men don't make blogs where they have a big pity party that somebody told them to get cancer whereas women go crying to the BBC - leading the naive to believe there is some huge imbalance.
Original post by iThrow
yeah its a different kind of harrassment but it doesn't happen at any greater frequency. the difference is men don't make blogs where they have a big pity party that somebody told them to get cancer whereas women go crying to the BBC - leading the naive to believe there is some huge imbalance.

This.
Because, the people who abuse them are losers, simples. :wink:
That's why my brother never lets me use his Xbox :colonhash:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
lmao what about the fangirls of male gamers and lets players such as pewdiepie, markiplier, etc. that spam their social media with **** ME DADDY :lol:
Honestly, aside from the edgy 12 year olds, it's probably the attention-whoring gamer gurls and radfems.
Original post by iThrow

1. So it's a good thing men don't come forward?
2. I think there is a difference between "get cancer *******" and targeted harassment simply because you are a woman. I suppose men without imagination cannot see that, though.
Original post by indigofox
Do you think it's true that females who do gaming for a living get abuse due to their gender, or are the culprits targeting anyone and some just happen to be women. Just read this news article I didn't know that this problem existed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/37492437/female-gamers-they-tell-me-they-are-going-to-kill-me

If it's true why do you think females are targeted?

Males just don't want to declare the obvious, females are much better at pressing buttons really quickly than males :colone:
Original post by saraxh
That's why my brother never lets me use his Xbox :colonhash:

It's just usually moody male teenagers and 12 year old little boys. That's the only reason, if I were you I wouldn't go on it all you would hear is just sexual slurs.
Reply 19
1. So it's a good thing men don't come forward?
2. I think there is a difference between "get cancer *******" and targeted harassment simply because you are a woman. I suppose men without imagination cannot see that, though.

yes it's a good thing - we learned long ago that you can't please everyone and that there's always going to be someone who wants to bring you down. the best you can do is ignore them, not give them any kind of publicity. the absolute worse thing you can do is give them some kind of legitimacy by involving the national media

women do not get 'targeted' harrassment because they are women they just get different kinds of harrassment. a lot of things that would insult a man wouldn't insult a woman and vice versa.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending