The Student Room Group

Exeter medical school 2017 entry

What are my chances with A*A*A prediction with a 640 band 2 UKCAT?
Share your stats!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Congrats with those awesome predictions!

FAQ for admissions: http://medicine.exeter.ac.uk/media/universityofexeter/medicalschool/documents/Bachelor_of_Medicine_Bachelor_of_Surgery_FAQ_2015.docx

I phoned up admissions just now asking what a possible cut-off could be but the lady didn't want to give me a definite answer (varies year-on-year blah blah).

I guess being in the top 2 tiers puts you in a strong position, considering they have 4 tiers.

I'm a gap year applicant, applying with A*AA and 663 Band 2 UKCAT. Applying with achieved grades puts me in the same tier.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
I was considering Exeter with A*A*A predictions, but I'm not too sure because everyone with predictions below 3 A*'s were rejected last year if I remember correctly.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by setarcos
I was considering Exeter with A*A*A predictions and 723 avg in ukcat, but I'm not too sure because everyone with predictions below 3 A*'s were rejected last year if I remember correctly.

Yeah, after reading last years thread I have decided against Exeter..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi what was last years UKCAT cut off,just want some advice for my son he has achieved Grades 3 A* in chemistry biology and mathematics UKCAT 663.5 total 1990 score band 1, what are his chances and what GCSEs requirements does Exeter have.my son has 3 A* 3 A and rest all B .He is on gap year going abroad to do work experince in a hospital in a third world country.has some experience in care home over two years and charity shop also few days GP shadowing and week hospital shadowing and 6 months in a ward at hospital.
Any advice please would appreciate.
Original post by S1966
Hi what was last years UKCAT cut off,just want some advice for my son he has achieved Grades 3 A* in chemistry biology and mathematics UKCAT 663.5 total 1990 score band 1, what are his chances and what GCSEs requirements does Exeter have.my son has 3 A* 3 A and rest all B .He is on gap year going abroad to do work experince in a hospital in a third world country.has some experience in care home over two years and charity shop also few days GP shadowing and week hospital shadowing and 6 months in a ward at hospital.
Any advice please would appreciate.

My advice would be for him to apply! 3A* achieved and his ukcat score would have gotten him an interview last year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Orangeflower6
My advice would be for him to apply! 3A* achieved and his ukcat score would have gotten him an interview last year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you any idea what is their GCSEs requirements been looking at website fir Exeter but dies say .which other universites do you think he may stand a chance.
Original post by S1966
Do you any idea what is their GCSEs requirements been looking at website fir Exeter but dies say .which other universites do you think he may stand a chance.

I'm not an expert so please don't rely on everything I say but he definitely should apply to unis which give credit for achieved grades, eg Leicester because his grades are amazing. Avoid ukcat heavy such as Newcastle, Southampton, Manchester's cut off is fairly high, and Sheffield are ranking ukcat so be careful there this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did EVERYONE with A*A*A* predictions provided they met the ukcat cut off get interviews?
Reply 9
Anybody knows last year's UKCAT cut off? I got a 633 average (1900 total) so I really don't know where to apply. I have 4A* A2 predictions and 7A* 1A at GCSEs. What chance do I have of getting an interview at Exeter?
Original post by Orangeflower6
I'm not an expert so please don't rely on everything I say but he definitely should apply to unis which give credit for achieved grades, eg Leicester because his grades are amazing. Avoid ukcat heavy such as Newcastle, Southampton, Manchester's cut off is fairly high, and Sheffield are ranking ukcat so be careful there this year.

Posted from TSR
Thank you for the advice really appreciate it my son rang the university they said he would be in the first tier.and they only use UKCAT cut off if too many applications with high ranking .so he is going to apply.
Reply 11
So do Exeter treat candidates with achieved grades differently? Just wondering because I was thinking of applying with achieved A*AA and a UKCAT overall of 673.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DDan123
So do Exeter treat candidates with achieved grades differently? Just wondering because I was thinking of applying with achieved A*AA and a UKCAT overall of 673.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on how many application they have in tiers 1 and 2 etc so the cut offf for UKCAT can be low or high it is a gamble but in tier 1 and 2 you should have a strong chance.
Is what Tier you are in and academic achievement considered post interview?
Original post by Gap yaaah
Is what Tier you are in and academic achievement considered post interview?

It's my son because he is applying with achieved grades A* A*A* he is put in tier 1 and A* A*A goes in 2 then 3 and last is tier 4 AAA.www.exeter.ac.uk/ undergraduate/applications/policy
I am doing the IB and I have a 7777 prediction at HL (I do four HL subjects) but a low UKCAT (610 average-1890 overall). Do I have a chance or is my UKCAT too low?
Original post by aspiringmedic178
I am doing the IB and I have a 7777 prediction at HL (I do four HL subjects) but a low UKCAT (610 average-1890 overall). Do I have a chance or is my UKCAT too low?

It depends what tier you would be in I only know about A levels ,they put A*A*A* in tier 1 then 2 A star etc in tier 2,If your grades fall in tier 1 or 2 then you should be OK,you can ring university and ask them will tell you what tier your grades are.they scores predicted and achieved A levels .But if are in tier 3 or 4 then UKCAT threshold is used so your UKCAT may be low for that as high UKCAT applications apply to Exeter when they know they are going to be in tier 3 or 4.Hope this information is useful to you but it depends how many application with high UKCAT apply.
Original post by tapac_14
Congrats with those awesome predictions!

FAQ for admissions: http://medicine.exeter.ac.uk/media/universityofexeter/medicalschool/documents/Bachelor_of_Medicine_Bachelor_of_Surgery_FAQ_2015.docx

I phoned up admissions just now asking what a possible cut-off could be but the lady didn't want to give me a definite answer (varies year-on-year blah blah).

I guess being in the top 2 tiers puts you in a strong position, considering they have 4 tiers.

I'm a gap year applicant, applying with A*AA and 663 Band 2 UKCAT. Applying with achieved grades puts me in the same tier.

I am a gap year application who wanted to apply to Exeter, achieved grades A*AA and 756 Band 1 UKCAT.Last year the cut off was in Tier 1 as I discovered at the Open Day a few weeks ago. So last year unless you were predicted A*A*A* or achieved A*A*A with a high UKCAT, you wouldn't get an interview. So yeah! Hence the reason I didn't apply.
Good luck though!
Original post by jemmaaa0853
I am a gap year application who wanted to apply to Exeter, achieved grades A*AA and 756 Band 1 UKCAT.Last year the cut off was in Tier 1 as I discovered at the Open Day a few weeks ago. So last year unless you were predicted A*A*A* or achieved A*A*A with a high UKCAT, you wouldn't get an interview. So yeah! Hence the reason I didn't apply.
Good luck though!

Do you know what was their cut off last year, in tier 1.my son is applying with A*A*A* grades achieved and 663 UKCAT does he stand any chance he just sent his application.
Original post by S1966
Do you know what was their cut off last year, in tier 1.my son is applying with A*A*A* grades achieved and 663 UKCAT does he stand any chance he just sent his application.

They wont give any specific cut off within Tier 1, but it comes down to UKCAT. Your son's UKCAT is in the 7th decile which is good, but not excellent. It will depend on the cohort of people applying and no one can predict that. I wish him luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending