The Student Room Group

Referencing from books

I struggle with this, the way to reference and how to reference from books, like the relevant text to take and to analyse im not very good at it.
Was just wondering if someone had an example they could use or post below and help me out a bit, I've been known to use not relevant texts and try to explain it or use it as reference and I really want to get good at it. Sadly, I'm not the best. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or if they could help.
There are several different styles of referencing, and without knowing your uni and department's preferred style it could be counter-productive providing examples. The uni library will probably run study sessions including how to reference, and there will almost certainly be examples on your intranet. Once you understand the format, using something like Refworks will produce references automatically and save a lot of time.
Its usually the Harvard system. Your library will have a guide, or you can easily search online. It's worth learning to do this properly, early on, so that your references are accurately recorded from the outset.
Reply 3
Original post by Theguynextdoor
I struggle with this, the way to reference and how to reference from books, like the relevant text to take and to analyse im not very good at it.
Was just wondering if someone had an example they could use or post below and help me out a bit, I've been known to use not relevant texts and try to explain it or use it as reference and I really want to get good at it. Sadly, I'm not the best. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or if they could help.

The actual reference format is easy enough to learn. For Harvard it is

Smith, J., Bloggs, J. and Pratchet, T., 2011. Book Title. Publisher: Location

The in text reference would be (Smith et al., 2011, p.23-26).

The academic skills people at your uni will be happy to give you advice on learning to use texts properly, see if you can get an appointment with them before you need to start handing in work.
Original post by pjm600
The actual reference format is easy enough to learn. For Harvard it is

Smith, J., Bloggs, J. and Pratchet, T., 2011. Book Title. Publisher: Location

The in text reference would be (Smith et al., 2011, p.23-26).

The academic skills people at your uni will be happy to give you advice on learning to use texts properly, see if you can get an appointment with them before you need to start handing in work.

This is what I deffo struggle on, using the texts properly and how to not repeat myself or analyse it.
Other than Uni, is there any link or guide that anyone might know of? That I can have a read.
Reply 5
This is what I deffo struggle on, using the texts properly and how to not repeat myself or analyse it.
Other than Uni, is there any link or guide that anyone might know of? That I can have a read.

What is it that you struggle with, being able to explain other's thoughts in your own words?
Original post by pjm600
What is it that you struggle with, being able to explain other's thoughts in your own words?

Yep and referencing the right part or what to even reference to make it relevant to the essay topic and stuff.
Also the way to do a bibliography
Reply 7
Yep and referencing the right part or what to even reference to make it relevant to the essay topic and stuff.
Also the way to do a bibliography

If you use Microsoft Word to write your essays, you can input all of your sources and it will automatically generate a bibliography for you based on what you have used, no matter what referencing system you use.

As others on this thread have said, the system you use will depend on your university and department. I have experience with both Harvard and APA, and they're fairly similar in what information it needs, just changes how it is presented in your bibliography.

Your university library and departments WILL run appropriate sessions to cater to what you will be using, which should clear the most of it up.
Reply 8
If you have lectures on your timetable called something like "Study Skills" or "Research Skills", this sort of thing will be covered in those. It would be very unusual for a uni not to provide teaching on these very basic aspects of essay writing. I know mine hammered home referencing my entire first year, then repeated some of it in the first term of the second year, just to be sure.

If you can't see anything relevant on your timetable and you can't find anything on your library website about extra skills lectures or written guides, email your course leader and ask for help. I guarantee that they'd rather you asked, than struggle to produce written work.

Quick Reply

Latest