The Student Room Group

Please help me I am scared

Scroll to see replies

Original post by readingcath
Well I got an A in maths GCSE and went on to get two A's in maths and further maths at A-Level!
Having said that, do you have a future career in mind? I admire your work ethic but doing subjects just to challenge yourself is no good if you are then going to have to do additional A-Levels to achieve your chosen career.
I think that based on your current grade, a 7 is definitely achievable.

Doctor I am thinking of doing maths, physics, biology, and chemistry
Original post by ForcomeAnarchist
' if you do easy things you will have a hard life and if you do hard things you will have an easy life. ' What do you mean by that?

I can dow aht is easy now but later I will pay the price because I will have a hard life for example I could do history,RS,english lit for a level but I will have a hard life afterwards as medicine is my passion but I know I need to work hard to became a doctor which will mean I will have an easy life afterwards as I will be doing a job I like.
Original post by SummerStrawberry
But if you always do hard things, you will always have a hard life.

Sometimes it's harder to take the easy option. To allow yourself to fail. To relinquish aspirations. Motivational speakers, proud parents, and teachers with boxes to tick would tell you to keep going and seize your dreams, but only those closest to you would tell you that you need to step back. So we demonise it. To step back is to admit defeat, and to admit defeat is to admit that you have lost in the game of life. Not true. To step back is to admit that you are not ready for this challenge yet, and to step back is to admit that, later, you will be ready for it.

It sounds to me that you want to go to this Sixth Form, and want to do what it takes to get there. That's great, but at what cost? What sacrifices are you willing to make for that, and are they worth making? It's a place where you will spend two years - perhaps 4% of your life - not a life-long career. Is it important? Yes. Is it so important that it's worth losing your mind over? Only you can decide.

My advice is to take a step back and think about why you want this. What is your true reason for pushing yourself so hard. When you've established that, ask yourself if the end truly justifies the means. If that means continuing with what you're doing, pushing yourself, and achieving what you want to achieve, more power to you. If, however, that means temporarily lowering your aspirations, there should be no shame in that.

Good Luck! :smile:

It is very important as I never liked the school I went to and I never had a choice where I wanted to study i want to study in an environment which pleases me and which I like.I want to for once to be able to pick where I want to spend 8 hours a day 5 times a week.I want to enjoy these 2 years of my life I hated the 11 years of my life because of my school it ruined 11 years of my education no one can or will ruin those last 2 years before I head off the university.I will never lower my aspirations becuse I can do anything if i wat to getting D n my mock 2 moths before exam worked really hard on my own and got 1 work of an A*.

I don't care how much sleep time tears and blood I have to sacrifice I will go and get it is my dream nd no one can take that away from me.I am ready to give it my all I will probably cry and be angry when things won't be on track but we all have a set back once in a while but I need to continue.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous1502
It is very important as I never liked the school I went to and I never had a choice where I wanted to study i want to study in an environment which pleases me and which I like.I want to for once to be able to pick where I want to spend 8 hours a day 5 times a week.I want to enjoy these 2 years of my life I hated the 11 years of my life because of my school it ruined 11 years of my education no one can or will ruin those last 2 years before I head off the university.I will never lower my aspirations becuse I can do anything if i wat to getting D n my mock 2 moths before exam worked really hard on my own and got 1 work of an A*.

I don't care how much sleep time tears and blood I have to sacrifice I will go and get it is my dream nd no one can take that away from me.I am ready to give it my all I will probably cry and be angry when things won't be on track but we all have a set back once in a while but I need to continue.

Well it sounds as though you already know what you want, and what you're prepared to do to achieve it. I wish you all the best! :hugs:
Reply 24
wish i was this determined at your age - your personal statement gon' be poppin

Original post by SummerStrawberry
Well it sounds as though you already know what you want, and what you're prepared to do to achieve it. I wish you all the best! :hugs:

Thank you guys sometimes I have those nights where I feel helpless and I feel absolutely obliterated and worried to the point I loose sight of what i want.
Original post by z33
wish i was this determined at your age - your personal statement gon' be poppin

What does this mean?
I care i want to goto a sixth form which i like ok!I am very ambitious and i want to do maths a level because if you do easy things you will have a hard life and if you do hard things you will have an easy life.Also i want to became good at maths i don't give up so easily.I was getting D's in french mocks and I worked hard and received an a over all 1 mark of an A*.

OP's logic of what makes an easy life and hard life.

Oi m8 you didnt get an A* in french, simmer down.

Also what are you getting in English?

Is your grammar always this bad?
Reply 28
:bl:new to this :biggrin:
Original post by Maths is Life
OP's logic of what makes an easy life and hard life.

Oi m8 you didnt get an A* in french, simmer down.

Also what are you getting in English?

Is your grammar always this bad?

A*.
A*.

Full stop for effect :wink:.

Too bad you were one mark off an A**
Original post by Maths is Life
Full stop for effect :wink:.

Too bad you were one mark off an A**

I have not done the exam yet i am working on an A* currently don't be such a smart ass.
I have not done the exam yet i am working on an A* currently don't be such a smart ass.

I am no where near your perception of 'smart'.

I resat A-levels.

However I believe I am naturally witty/sarcastic

I am surprised others have told you not to take things too seriously there is nothing wrong with been ambitious and I respect that.
I think if this is what you want you are going to have to work hard and make sacrifices. However I do have a few pointers firstly losing out on sleep is not a smart move. I know a lot of motivational videos mention about losing sleep and sacrificing etc but this is misleading. The thing is it has been scientifically proven that losing sleep reduces academic performance and concentration.

You will get less done and achieve less if you lose sleep. I mean sure don't sleep in to 11 etc just stick to 8 hours a day.

also suprised no one has mentioned this but hegartymaths is a good source for Gcse maths.
HEGARTYMATHS
Original post by Luke7456
I am surprised others have told you not to take things too seriously there is nothing wrong with been ambitious and I respect that.
I think if this is what you want you are going to have to work hard and make sacrifices. However I do have a few pointers firstly losing out on sleep is not a smart move. I know a lot of motivational videos mention about losing sleep and sacrificing etc but this is misleading. The thing is it has been scientifically proven that losing sleep reduces academic performance and concentration.

You will get less done and achieve less if you lose sleep. I mean sure don't sleep in to 11 etc just stick to 8 hours a day.

also suprised no one has mentioned this but hegartymaths is a good source for Gcse maths.
HEGARTYMATHS

What do you think of khan academy?
What do you think of khan academy?

its good at explaining things but I found that its more helpful to follow online resources which are directly linked to the course and exam board I am studying because then its directly relevant and i don't have to find everything piece by piece but can just work straight through. it can be helpful though that is just my preference.
Original post by Luke7456
its good at explaining things but I found that its more helpful to follow online resources which are directly linked to the course and exam board I am studying because then its directly relevant and i don't have to find everything piece by piece but can just work straight through. it can be helpful though that is just my preference.

Thank you.
'Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater' - Albert Einstein

First of all, stop for a minute, take a breath and relax a little.

Now think about what it is you want to do in the future. Not what your parents want you to do, or what you think you should do - what you want to do. Then think about what grades and A levels you need to achieve that. You may want to go into something that has nothing to do with mathematics or that you don't want to go to uni at all. Either way, you need to do what you want to do or you'll be miserable.

Then you should speak to your teachers. Ask them if they think Maths at A level is a good idea for you, and if you're that certain you want to do it, what you should do to get to a stage where it would be a good idea. Most schools should accept a 7 for A level, but if that is you're final grade, not only is that roughly equivalent to an A (a 9 is better than an A*), Further Maths is probably not the best idea.

Also, universities don't really care where you got your A levels - they are more concerned with what results you get. But all the A*s in the world are no good if you do nothing outside of the classroom. If you know that studying Maths or Further Maths at A level means you will constantly be studying, then don't take it and do some volunteering instead - even Oxford turn down four A* grades if you do nothing outside of studying.

Whatever you decide, if you apply yourself, you'll get the best grade you can, and that is all that should matter.

Your teachers will be the best to go to for advice though. I'd also advise you speak to your pastoral team and tell them that your parents are pressuring you, for lack of a better term. Someone at school will be able to help you.

Good luck, and I hope it all work so out for you.

Quick Reply

Latest