The Student Room Group

Recording Uni Lectures

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Impressive
Using mic is fine, the only time you need permission is when you actually want to record using camera,

You should still ask permission to record someone's voice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 81
Original post by FemaleBo55
Thats the same for us but we have a cap on our resits. If you are resitting the max you can achieve is 40% which if quite cruel of them tbh :frown:

Yes, ours are too. It's standard practice unless there were extenuating circumstances for the initial failure, such as being ill.
I put my recorder and mic on the lectern and the lecturer turns it on when the lecture starts.
Reply 83
Original post by Seamus123
I record all lectures, but not seminars as there are other students involved. I have a programme on my laptop which transfers audio lectures to text.

What's it called?
Original post by Cronus
What's it called?

My recorder is a Sonority provided by the university and my laptop has the Dragon Naturally Speaking programme which transfers the audio to text.
Reply 85
I know that some universities now record lectures and students are able to access them.

My friend attended Essex University. If she was unable to attend the lecture she would download the power point and the recording. It was really helpful.

My uni doesnt do that though. However in our welcome week they said we can record in any format: laptop, tablet, phone, recording etc.

I generally download power points. 3 slides per page and write my notes on them. It is so much easier as you only have to add the extra information provided by the lecturer. It also allows you time to process some of the information provided.

Normally you won't understand everything in a lecture but get the key words and facts down.... and then research.... uni is about self learning and research.

The other day a lecturer whipped out a different power point so I think I recorded a 10 minute segment but generally I don't find a need.

If you are struggling with note taking etc. Maybe speak to the study skills team at your uni who can help you develop that skill. It will be required in the work place and you go to meetings etc so try and grasp it now.

Good luck
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by Ishax
You missed my point, I take my lecture slides and take my notes alongside that. I do a pretty much theory based course which you're supposed to learn by yourself. I don't have a lot of reading or essays to do either. I do some maths modules and it's impossible to record a maths lecture.

My university doesn't record lectures, we are recommended to take notes or whatever's fits our learning style. If worst comes to worse and my notes aren't that great, I can always just print of the online notes but I don't want to rely on that. I want to make lecture notes myself so I can understand the content.

I don't think I did miss your point. You said that not everything is supposed to be written down, only relevant info. I am saying everything must be understood as it is all relevant. And since you cannot write everything down nor concentrate on everything when taking notes, that is not as useful as reviewing a recording at your own pace. You just said that you make notes to understand the content, which is good because that is the benefit of them. But if you are doing that properly, i.e. not just copying down, but rather rearranging the structure and words, it is impossible to do it properly in the lecture time and so it is better again to do that at your own pace.

You also asked in the third paragraph last time how the person coped in school not being able to write everything down. I explained that neither is it always possible or necessary to write everything down; as you said, taking notes is good for understanding the material, not as a full point of reference to review later, which a recording will be.

Though, I don't get why it is impossible to record maths lectures. BTW, I just happened to come across this thread and your comment. You didn't actually quote me properly

Original post by FemaleBo55
Thats the same for us but we have a cap on our resits. If you are resitting the max you can achieve is 40% which if quite cruel of them tbh :frown:

I personally think it's too generous. At my old university resits were capped at the original sitting mark, i.e. for progression purposes only, which is the fair way of doing it imo even though it screwed me over.
Most Universities now have a policy on recording lectures and to whom the copyright belongs so you should make enquires at your own institution for the best answer. To the general point of recording lectures, I'd advise against doing it as a regular thing. The danger is that by recording it, you actually stop listening as actively - you have the safety blanket of the recording, and there's always the reassurance that if you miss certain things, or don't quite understand a part, you can go back to the recording in your own leisure and try again.

The problem is that in all likelihood, you'll never listen to these recordings again. And you'll just end up with a set of incomplete notes, shaky understanding and hundreds of hours of recordings to which there is not nearly enough time to listen.
Reply 88
What's the programme called?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending