The Student Room Group

Career Choice- Economics

Guys, I have just started year 12 and was wondering if I could still get an economics degree even though I picked maths, chemistry and physics at A level? I know maths is essential in some uni's and that it is not a MUST to have an economics A level, and having 2 of the sciences are really good together? Please let me know if i can still do an economics degree. I have accounting work experience in a firm and looking to get more work experience in a bank sometime soon. So...?
Reply 1
Check the entry requirements of the universities you may think of applying to, then you should know the answer.
If not then my bad hopefully someone else answers
Original post by AdeptDz
Check the entry requirements of the universities you may think of applying to, then you should know the answer.
If not then my bad hopefully someone else answers

I cannot seem to find them but I want a good university to go to. Like LSE, warwick, oxbridge etc...? But if not them, just a good Uni will do
Reply 3
I'll check for you.
For a straight economics course right?
Just google: 'LSE Economics entry requirement' etc.
That should work next time
Reply 4
LSE: A level Economics or equivalent is not currently required for any of our Department degrees and the first-year Economics course does not assume it at present. However more than 90 per cent of students entering LSE Economics Department degrees have done A level
Oxford: Candidates are required to have Mathematics to A-level, Advanced Higher, Higher Level in the IB or another equivalent.
All candidates must also take the Thinking Skills Assessment (TSA) as part of their application. Please see how to apply for further details.
Cambridge: Required by all Colleges: A Level/IB Higher Level Mathematics
Required by some Colleges: AS or A Level/IB Higher Level Further Mathematics, STEP Mathematics
Warwick: A Level or 6 in Higher Level Mathematics. Applicants are encouraged to avoid combinations of subjects with significantly overlapping curricula such as Economics and Business Studies.
Reply 5
Your choices seem fine except for some colleges in cambridge that require further maths
Original post by AdeptDz
Your choices seem fine except for some colleges in cambridge that require further maths

So it seems like Warwick is a good fit for me, maybe not Oxbridge as much but Warwick and the others should be reasonably well, and along with relevant work experience too?
Reply 7
Original post by XherdanXhaka
So it seems like Warwick is a good fit for me, maybe not Oxbridge as much but Warwick and the others should be reasonably well, and along with relevant work experience too?

Yep, and thats a bonus i guess.
Good luck
Original post by AdeptDz
Yep, and thats a bonus i guess.
Good luck

Thanks man for your help and hopefully I get the place but still early days in Year 12 just starting.

Quick Reply

Latest