The Student Room Group

Medicine at uni & personal statements

Hiiii,
My personal statement is very strong whilst my UKCAT score is average and I got Band 1 in SJT and I know most universities don't look at personal statements but are there any that do? Or weight it more?
Thaaanks :smile:
Original post by maisiejane123
Hiiii,
My personal statement is very strong whilst my UKCAT score is average and I got Band 1 in SJT and I know most universities don't look at personal statements but are there any that do? Or weight it more?
Thaaanks :smile:

Hey there,

Bristol are 70% Personal statement.

But it depends by what you mean as strong. I know someone who got rejected from one uni for PS being weak and offered from another for another being strong.

So if we knew what made it strong then that would be more helpful as you could get more advice?

But well done if you think it's strong. And great job on the band 1 SJT!
All the best :smile:
Original post by .......Jeff458
Hey there,

Bristol are 70% Personal statement.

But it depends by what you mean as strong. I know someone who got rejected from one uni for PS being weak and offered from another for another being strong.

So if we knew what made it strong then that would be more helpful as you could get more advice?

But well done if you think it's strong. And great job on the band 1 SJT!
All the best :smile:

Thank yooou! And by strong essentially that it is personable, fairly heavy on work experience & volunteering including specific situations from a care home which was specifically for people with dementia. I've then linked these situations to life as a doctor, how they relate to it and what I've learnt. I also have a couple of online courses I've mentioned and linked these together and how they have progressed me to wanting to do medicine. I've also included stuff about how my work as a drama prefect, my part time job and in school productions have helped with confidence, being able to deal with different peoples and personalities and carrying myself in a professional manner etc. Finally I've got bits on my learning/work style e.g. being bale to take and act upon critique, evaluating work, working independently and as part of team and enjoying further research and asking questions. One of my A-levels is RPE which I have used to write about ethical situations etc. I haven't really described it very well but that's the basic gist of it. :smile:
Original post by maisiejane123
Thank yooou! And by strong essentially that it is personable, fairly heavy on work experience & volunteering including specific situations from a care home which was specifically for people with dementia. I've then linked these situations to life as a doctor, how they relate to it and what I've learnt. I also have a couple of online courses I've mentioned and linked these together and how they have progressed me to wanting to do medicine. I've also included stuff about how my work as a drama prefect, my part time job and in school productions have helped with confidence, being able to deal with different peoples and personalities and carrying myself in a professional manner etc. Finally I've got bits on my learning/work style e.g. being bale to take and act upon critique, evaluating work, working independently and as part of team and enjoying further research and asking questions. One of my A-levels is RPE which I have used to write about ethical situations etc. I haven't really described it very well but that's the basic gist of it. :smile:

That dies indeed sound very strong! You must be amazing to fit that into 4000!

But that sounds just about right for nearly all universities for personal statement wise.

I do believe that is good enough. You seem to really want to do Medicine.

But yeah Bristol mark PS ALOT, QMUL actually use it a fair bit as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending