The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Queen Mary v Warwick for Politics

I'll be applying to study Politics, IR & French at Warwick, and Politics & French at QMUL. I know that Warwick fares better in university rankings than QMUL, however when I visited the campus I just felt like it was so isolated, and the lack of a city didn't help.
As a 'city girl' I don't know how I'd be able to live somewhere like that for years, but being academic just as well I would also find it difficult to pass up the opportunity of going to a university like Warwick if I were to get in. Any advice would be appreciated.
Your telling me you've been to QM and you liked the campus

Specsavers appointment needs to be booked
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by kingLAWZA
Your telling me you've been to QM and you liked the campus

Specsavers appointment needs to be booked

Funny because no I haven't actually been to the campus - but comparing London with Coventry... well, it's not me who needs specsavers in this situation
Original post by romaiseb
Funny because no I haven't actually been to the campus - but comparing London with Coventry... well, it's not me who needs specsavers in this situation

To be fair I was in a similar situation, but you must visit queen mary, it's the ghetto of London (i'm from London) and much different from what I expected
(edited 7 years ago)
I'll be applying to study Politics, IR & French at Warwick, and Politics & French at QMUL. I know that Warwick fares better in university rankings than QMUL, however when I visited the campus I just felt like it was so isolated, and the lack of a city didn't help.
As a 'city girl' I don't know how I'd be able to live somewhere like that for years, but being academic just as well I would also find it difficult to pass up the opportunity of going to a university like Warwick if I were to get in. Any advice would be appreciated.

The Campus is really nice at queen Mary.
Go to the open day which I believe is in October. I'm sure you'll like it!!
It's not a bad campus nor is it a bad area - because of the stigma attached to 'east london', people assume it's a rubbish place as well as university.

Overall, I'm not too sure what's best in terms of academics - you'll need to do research on which course is better taught.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Warwick end of story.
People who say qmul are those that are currently studying there and are trying to make it prestigous.

Don't listen to the BS about Mile End. I was a little apprehensive starting at QMUL this year because of all the scare stories. In fact, the area is safer than most other areas in London. Loads of restaurants, pubs and bars with central being only 15 minutes away on the tube. There are constant police patrols walking up and down due to the student nature of the area and at any time of day the only people you will run in to are students. This isn't 1990. 2016 Mile End makes for a vibrant student experience.
Guys whats queen Mary really like???? Like OP I plan to study history and politics and want to know more about the uni - other choices I have are Southampton, Newcastle, Liverpool
Original post by lulucoco98
Guys whats queen Mary really like???? Like OP I plan to study history and politics and want to know more about the uni - other choices I have are Southampton, Newcastle, Liverpool

I thought QM would be rubbish
Honestly it's really good and it's not like what I had thought
I think you should go to the open day and talk to history and political students to see if the lecturers are good

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
My issue was never about the location of QMUL, I love the City (even if it's Mile End). My issue was whether it would be worth it to go to QMUL instead of Warwick as I personally see university as a place for networking, thriving in a city, etc (just like London). I went to the open day for QMUL and loved the campus and location, but at the end of the day I'm not going to university for the location but for the academics, which is why I wanted some opinions on whether it would be a wise choice to go to QMUL instead of Warwick.
I've decided that if I get a place at Warwick I won't turn it down - if I find myself not enjoying the campus/life there, I may decide to transfer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending