The Student Room Group

Cambridge Computer Science (College)

Hey guys, I am currently applying to Cambridge University for 2017 entry to hopefully study Computer Science there. I have completed almost all of my UCAS form and it is ready to submit, but I struggling to decide which college I would prefer for Computer Science.

Two colleges I think are really good are Churchill and St Catharines (both have great accommodation), but they have many different attributes. For example Churchill has a much greater daily internet allowance (20GB) and a greater number of computer science students there, however it is further out from Cambridge and has the biggest imbalance of genders there.

Can anyone help me out into which one to decide between these to, or recommend me another college for good for Computer Science

If anyone is recommending a college, things I look for are:
- Nice, accessible Gym
- Spacious, relatively modern accommodation
- Good atmosphere/bar/mix of people
- Moderate size
- Good daily internet limit (needed as I like to stream stuff xD)

Thanks in advance
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Nouie
Hey guys, I am currently applying to Cambridge University for 2017 entry to hopefully study Computer Science there. I have completed almost all of my UCAS form and it is ready to submit, but I struggling to decide which college I would prefer for Computer Science.

Two colleges I think are really good are Churchill and St Catharines (both have great accommodation), but they have many different attributes. For example Churchill has a much greater daily internet allowance (20GB) and a greater number of computer science students there, however it is further out from Cambridge and has the biggest imbalance of genders there.

Can anyone help me out into which one to decide between these to, or recommend me another college for good for Computer Science

If anyone is recommending a college, things I look for are:
- Nice, accessible Gym
- Spacious, relatively modern accommodation
- Good atmosphere/bar/mix of people
- Moderate size
- Good daily internet limit (needed as I like to stream stuff xD)

Thanks in advance

Churchill is out of the town centre, but it's right next to the Computer Laboratory, which means your lectures are very close by after the first year. I'll be starting at Homerton on Saturday (after being pooled there from Churchill) and I think it meets most of your criteria (depending what you mean by moderate size) apart from the fact it has an internet limit of 15 GB at a good speed per month, and is as far from the centre as Churchill (and really far away from the Computer Laboratory).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by sweeneyrod
Churchill is out of the town centre, but it's right next to the Computer Laboratory, which means your lectures are very close by after the first year. I'll be starting at Homerton on Saturday (after being pooled there from Churchill) and I think it meets most of your criteria (depending what you mean by moderate size) apart from the fact it has an internet limit of 15 GB at a good speed per month, and is as far from the centre as Churchill (and really far away from the Computer Laboratory).

Pretty sure Churchill has a 20GB a day limit, it's insane there but it is quite far out. Anyone know how easy it is to interact with other colleges since Churchill is so far out? Like since there are a small number of females at Churchill as well, is it hard to talk to others from other colleges?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Nouie
Pretty sure Churchill has a 20GB a day limit, it's insane there but it is quite far out. Anyone know how easy it is to interact with other colleges since Churchill is so far out? Like since there are a small number of females at Churchill as well, is it hard to talk to others from other colleges?

I think it has a few joint activities with the other "hill colleges" (Fitzwilliam, Murray Edwards, Girton and St Edmund's) which are nearby. Murray Edwards is all female so presumably that corrects the gender imbalance a bit. And Cambridge is fairly small, so it's not too difficult to get to central colleges (at least that's what I'm hoping, since Homerton doesn't have any other colleges nearby).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending