The Student Room Group

boyfriend is losing his hair?

This upsets me because I love him lots, but he is only 19 and I am really not attracted to bald guys. I don't know what to do, any advice, girls?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you really loved him "lots" then him losing hair wouldn't really bother you. It's not as if he'll be bald by December unless you really stress him out so calm down.
A sign of wisdom, work-related stress, and androgenic alopecia.

Seriously, it just means he's brimming with testosterone. Treasure him.

Spoiler

Original post by Anonymous
This upsets me because I love him lots, but he is only 19 and I am really not attracted to bald guys. I don't know what to do, any advice, girls?

Go to the Doctors.
Reply 4
Original post by Oxidation
Go to the Doctors.

He told me it runs in his family.
He told me it runs in his family.

I don't think you can do anything about it then. Sorry :frown:
Reply 6
He should find a better girlfriend
Reply 7
Original post by sdotd
He should find a better girlfriend

I hate to sound rude, but not many 19 year old girls would date a bald guy.
Well considering he is only 19 and is losing his hair already, chances are by the time he is 30 he will be completely bald. Imagine how the poor lad must be feeling about that prospect. If you loved him you wouldn't give a damn what he looked like, tbh.
Reply 9

But you say you "love" him. So what if he goes bald. If you loved him you would accept it
Hair loss can be a big adjustment to get used to both for yourself and mainly your partner but at the end of the day, when you really love someone, you love them warts and all. Things you might perceive to be negative flaws like hair loss, scars etc don't mean anything. My boyfriend became covered from head to toe with lots of keloid scars, some were huge and as much as I always thought scars would be a turn off, they didn't phase me at all. I see people staring at him a lot because of them but I don't even notice them now and when I do, I forget a second later about them because it just doesn't matter.
Oh for God's sake, can we stop all this "If you really loved him, you wouldn't care" ********. Physical attraction does matter in many relationships, especially at 19, and people are allowed to choose what they want in a partner without being called shallow or having it implied that they're preferences are immoral. Having a girlfriend/boyfriend isn't a right, and dating someone you're not attracted to isn't a responsibility. Maybe you're someone for whom personality is more important - fine - but don't judge people for not basing their life decisions on what might satisfy you in their place.

I don't have any advice for you, OP, but remember that there's nothing wrong with doing what's best for you and that nobody is obliged to date anyone they're not attracted to. At 19, it's also very likely that you'd end up splitting anyway for some other reason.
(edited 7 years ago)

It's so great of you to speak on behalf of all females like that. :facepalm:
I could understand her being put off by the appearance of the guy if they were not already in a relationship and would say thanks,but no thanks. But you would think that when you have spent some considerable amount of time with someone and got to know them that something like that wouldn't be a big deal.
If you got breast cancer and had to have a double mastectomy how would you feel if your boyfriend left you because he 'preferred girls with tits'?
Original post by Lavaridge
people are allowed to choose what they want in a partner without being called shallow or having it implied that they're preferences are immoral.
Perhaps, but i would say it's likely they didn't actually love them that much after all. The point is that when you love someone these factors don't matter so much. The thought of ending a relationship with someone they truly care about is much more terrible a prospect than putting up with their appearance flaws.
I don't think people are arguing that someone has to date someone they find unattractive, just that if she actually loved him then she wouldn't be so concerned about "dating a bald person".
How's people like that going to cope when they and everyone their age grows old and lose the body they once had? What a travesty!

At 19, it's also very likely that you'd end up splitting anyway for some other reason.
It's funny how this is perceived the norm nowadays, that a relationship at 19 is premature and fragile, so it won't last. Only a few decades ago, the vast majority of people married and had children around this age.

Sounds like the relationship is doomed, then.
Original post by TheTungsten74
Perhaps, but i would say it's likely they didn't actually love them that much after all. The point is that when you love someone these factors don't matter so much. The thought of ending a relationship with someone they truly care about is much more terrible a prospect than putting up with their appearance flaws.
I don't think people are arguing that someone has to date someone they find unattractive, just that if she actually loved him then she wouldn't be so concerned about "dating a bald person".
How's people like that going to cope when they and everyone their age grows old and lose the body they once had? What a travesty!

I agree, but are most people at 19 truly in love and making plans to spend their whole lives together? I'm not recommending that she break up with her boyfriend if they both are committed to that future, but I don't think it's sensible to make that assumption of a nineteen year-old (or to imply that anyone should be having those feelings at that age).
Original post by TheTungsten74

It's funny how this is perceived the norm nowadays, that a relationship at 19 is premature and fragile, so it won't last. Only a few decades ago, the vast majority of people married and had children around this age.

I agree with this also, but that's where we are nonetheless. I'll add that I know quite a few elderly couples who were encouraged to marry young and who are currently living quite miserable lives with one another because they always felt like splitting just wasn't an option. The old system wasn't necessarily better.
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh for God's sake, can we stop all this "If you really loved him, you wouldn't care" ********. Physical attraction does matter in many relationships, especially at 19, and people are allowed to choose what they want in a partner without being called shallow or having it implied that they're preferences are immoral. Having a girlfriend/boyfriend isn't a right, and dating someone you're not attracted to isn't a responsibility. Maybe you're someone for whom personality is more important - fine - but don't judge people for not basing their life decisions on what might satisfy you in their place.

I don't have any advice for you, OP, but remember that there's nothing wrong with doing what's best for you and that nobody is obliged to date anyone they're not attracted to. At 19, it's also very likely that you'd end up splitting anyway for some other reason.

I was all fired up to comment on this thread but you basically said it all first, dick.
Just remember it: if you break up with him, you will be the girl who broke up with her boyfriend because of getting bald, lmao. It's like breaking up with someone with cancer.

Quick Reply

Latest