The Student Room Group

Is it possible to get a GCSE certificate even if you haven't picked it?

I have a very big problem. I'm currently starting Y11 and I've decided that I wanna study Computer Science in college, but to enter I need a Computer Science GCSE. And I haven't picked Computer Science in Y9 as I wasn't interested on it then. I can't pick it now, since the IT teacher said that it's too late now to do all the coursework.

What can I do? Can I do that Computer Science somewhere else?
Usually colleges advise you that if you want do a computer related course at college, you need either a GCSE in IT or Computer Science, because not all schools offer computer science. I'm surprised college won't accept you on just a normal IT GCSE, unless you aren't doing that either.

You could also go for a Computer Science BTEC instead of doing it in an A Level because the entry requirements are usually more lenient on you and only ask for the 6 GCSES at grade C and above for a level 3 course. They just expect you to have an interest in computer science.

When my school first offered it to year 9s I was the first year group to be offered. The year 10s at that point were also offered the course too, but they would have to stay behind after school on certain days to complete the course. Many of these year 10s coded at home for a hobby and already knew a fair bit and were really dedicated. They all completed the coursework at home and I know a few managed As and A*s. If you can prove you already know a lot about computer science they may allow you to do the coursework and then sit the exam.
Original post by moglipianist
I have a very big problem. I'm currently starting Y11 and I've decided that I wanna study Computer Science in college, but to enter I need a Computer Science GCSE. And I haven't picked Computer Science in Y9 as I wasn't interested on it then. I can't pick it now, since the IT teacher said that it's too late now to do all the coursework.

What can I do? Can I do that Computer Science somewhere else?

Are there any other computer related courses at college that you could do which dont require it at GCSE?
Reply 3
Original post by xEmilyxx
unless you aren't doing that either.

Unfortunatelly, I'm not taking any computer-related GCSE in my school.

Original post by xEmilyxx
You could also go for a Computer Science BTEC instead of doing it in an A Level because the entry requirements are usually more lenient on you and only ask for the 6 GCSES at grade C and above for a level 3 course. They just expect you to have an interest in computer science.

The ideal thing would be doing an A-level on Computer Science. But does doing a BTEC affect the range of universities you can enter?
And yeah, I already have knowledge and interest in computers and related.

Original post by Emma:-)
Are there any other computer related courses at college that you could do which dont require it at GCSE?

To be honest, I haven't looked at that.
If you're financially able you could always take it privately. It'd be like £400 ish I think? That doesn't include any exams or practicals you need to do though...

(EDIT) I should also mention that privately taken courses are usually completable in about 6-8 months depending on how dedicated you are. I finished my private exams in around that time. You have to take the exam/hand in coursework at the same time as everyone else but the studies can be completed whenever.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by spoonferret
If you're financially able you could always take it privately. It'd be like £400 ish I think? That doesn't include any exams or practicals you need to do though...er

GCSE Computing contains a lot (60 hours?) on controlled assessment that has to be done under strict supervision. This means it is not available to private candidates.
Original post by moglipianist

The ideal thing would be doing an A-level on Computer Science. But does doing a BTEC affect the range of universities you can enter?

It all depends really. I've seen some of the more challenging unis in London such as Oxford and the Royal College only accept candidates with A - Levels, however, this isn't the case for all universities.

I've been browsing unis too to decide which degree exactly I want to pursue as I'm in my AS year currently. I've noticed Aberyswyth only declares on the website A - Levels and certain GCSE grades, but I've also checked Sheffield and that uni is a Russell group uni, meaning that it is considered one of the notable ones. They accept both BTECS and A - Levels.

In a way, it does limit universities but not as much as what you think. They'll sometimes consider candidates on a case by case basis, and if you've studied a high amount of computer science that a BTEC provides you, you'll probably appear to be more favourable. Especially if you have work expereince and voluntary work related to some sort of computing.
Reply 7
I understand. Then I'll aim to get as much experience as I can.

Quick Reply

Latest