The Student Room Group

School wants me to do maths gcse again even though i got an A*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by MathMoFarah
Tell them you don't want to. They legally can't make you.

If they say they'll do it anyway then this is the sort of story your local paper would be interested in.

But will sixth forms allow me to do A level maths even if I don't do the new spec?
Original post by dannie.12
So say I get a B (which is a 6) on the new spec, will I be unable to do Maths at A-level? I've got so much subjects to revise for and I just feel so stressed with having to do the Maths again.

I would certainly think so, with an A* in year 10 they're hardly likely to turn you away. Most colleges and Sixth forms only require a B/6 to study A-Level so you'll be fine.

I know it's annoying to have to do it over and the school did mess up by entering you early (not that they will admit to it) but they really do have to enter you again for the new specs this year. Try to look at it as revision/a refresher for A-Level, rather than a chore.
But will sixth forms allow me to do A level maths even if I don't do the new spec?

No, they won't, because they won't be able to get funding.
Reply 83
Original post by MathMoFarah
Don't do it

Spoiler

Please read MrM's posts in this thread - they're very important. I appreciate that it sounds like the right thing to rebel against the school but the OP most probably will need the new qualification to do A Level.

The school made a stupid decision allowing a student in Yr 10 to take the exam.
If you really don't want to retake it then make sure your parents don't pay for it. I think each GCSE exam costs about £25 or something to enter the exams. There's no way they will let you sit the exams if you haven't paid. Problem solved.
Oh, my son ,on his last day of school, refused to go in for his final paper, his second GCSE Geography. I went on and on at him but he was having none of it. At about a quarter past nine the school phoned to ask where he was. I told them he has decided he is not going to bother taking it. They said as long as he was sure it was his decision. Because he only took one Geography exam not the two he was awarded GCSE Grade D. But tbh it had no impact on him. His GCSE certificate at the bottom in small print ,after the asterisk beside the D grade says, "Did not enter second exam", or words to that effect. Meh. He only needed 4 Grade C's to do his course and he got 7.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by markova21
His GCSE certificate at the bottom in small print ,after the asterisk beside the D grade says, "Did not enter second exam", or words to that effect. Meh. He only needed 4 Grade C's to do his course and he got 7.

I really don't think that can have been on the formal certificate - they don't turn up until November.
Original post by Compost
I really don't think that can have been on the formal certificate - they don't turn up until November.

It is. I'm looking at it now. It's with AQA ,which is the examining body his Geography and Maths GCSE's were with. It says Geography and at the other side of the page along the same line, GRADE D [d] #. When you turn over to the back of the certificate it says Explanation of the symbols. Next to the # it says and I quote; "The student was absent from one [or more] of the assessments in this qualification and was awarded zero marks for it." The AQA certificate does not have a date on , but says the examination was held in June 2013. His other GCSE certificate, issued by the examining body cea [We live in Northern Ireland] "Obtained the following grades in summer 2013". At the bottom of the certificate it says Confirmation of Achievement ; 31st October 2013.
Reply 88
Original post by Mr M
I'm afraid you have to do it. The only maths qualification they are in a position to teach you that counts for school performance tables is the 9-1 GCSE. Your A* in GCSE maths is worth nothing to your school so you will damage their results if you don't do it. You might think "So what?" but there is a massive problem for you too. If you don't have grade 4 or above in the 9-1 GCSE next summer then you won't be allowed to take A Levels because this particular qualification is a requirement of Post-16 funding for every course.

So does this grammar schools wont recognise the A* at all to allow me to do Maths at A level? Is the A* worthless since it wont be recognised by sixth forms?
So does this grammar schools wont recognise the A* at all to allow me to do Maths at A level? Is the A* worthless since it wont be recognised by sixth forms?

It's not worthless as it will be recognised by universities and employers, and also by sixth forms as being the outstanding grade it is. Unfortunately, you need to have the new 9-1 to qualify for government funding for further education. Without the funding schools and colleges won't be able to offer you a place.

Sixth Forms will only get funding if you have achieved grade 4 or higher on the reformed maths GCSE. They won't receive a penny if you haven't taken this qualification so they won't want you as a student. Stop making a big deal about nothing and just sit the examination.
Original post by issy786
I'm not even joking the EXACT same thing happened to me. Is this a policy at anyone else's school?

It will be the same at every state school because of the way league tables work - your A*-G grade from last year won't count for their results so you have to re-do it. In short, your school made a mistake in putting you in for it a year early
Maybe they want you to be ranked or something?
They should not force you though.
Make it to the news!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
Original post by Compost
It will be the same at every state school because of the way league tables work - your A*-G grade from last year won't count for their results so you have to re-do it. In short, your school made a mistake in putting you in for it a year early

I did it myself privately - the school wasn't involved...
Reply 94
Original post by Trevish
Maybe they want you to be ranked or something?
They should not force you though.
Make it to the news!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah they probably just want another result in their data base :angry:
Original post by issy786

Don't agree to them!
Original post by issy786
I did it myself privately - the school wasn't involved...

What was the point when you were going to do it at school the following year anyway?
Original post by issy786

Daft as it seems, because of the way school league tables and 6th form funding work the OP really does need to take the 9-1 GCSE. The oddest thing is why the OP chose to pay to take it a year early as a private candidate - which is what caused this problem.
Reply 98
Original post by Compost
Daft as it seems, because of the way school league tables and 6th form funding work the OP really does need to take the 9-1 GCSE. The oddest thing is why the OP chose to pay to take it a year early as a private candidate - which is what caused this problem.

It was the case last year that a lot of students were good enough to get A*s (or other high grades) in the old style GCSE so parents/students thought that it would be a good idea to get the good grade before the exam got harder.

Schools wouldn't offer it but I know of a few schools that couldn't advise whether the student would need to do the new GCSE the following year if they did the exam privately in Year 10.

It's all come from confusion from the changing of the GCSE and possibly not enough guidance given to schools.
Reply 99
Listen to Mr M's advice. Don't listen to some kids, who just want to express their opinion that school can't tell them what to do.

Your school was wrong to enter you in year 10 and your parents and every other year 10 kids' parents, who was entered early should kick up a big fuss about it. However, in your case, you should start working on the new spec Maths. There are new topics with no past papers so you need to do some work. I don't know when you did the legacy GCSE, you studied the old spec or new spec so you need to demand clear answers from your school. Also ask for extra help because the school was wrong so they should make it up for you hence I said get parents involved. Your education is more important then trying to make a point and don't do the new GCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest