The Student Room Group

Non-Binary Surprise For My Partner?

My partner is non-binary. I've struggled to come to terms with the pronouns them/their as English language wise it just doesn't sound right.
However, we're going on holiday soon and I want to surprise him with a shirt that says "I am with them". But it just doesn't sound right. What would be the best/correct pronoun to use?
*if it helps, my partners gender assignment from birth is male*
Amazing thread.
Original post by Supersaps
Amazing thread.

Thanks, but doesn't help.
Reply 3
Original post by PetalsOnTheWind
My partner is non-binary. I've struggled to come to terms with the pronouns them/their as English language wise it just doesn't sound right.
However, we're going on holiday soon and I want to surprise him with a shirt that says "I am with them". But it just doesn't sound right. What would be the best/correct pronoun to use?
*if it helps, my partners gender assignment from birth is male*

oh god some people just love to complicate things don't they.. I've no idea to be honest. It does sound strange. its great that you're being supportive but I think he needs to get his **** together...
Them is pretty much what you have to go for, if it is what they prefer to be called.

However, you could always get a shirt that says 'I am with bae'.
Or a less cringey alternative.
Reply 5
I am with [Name]
Praying this is a troll or we are doomed
Original post by Athena64
Them is pretty much what you have to go for, if it is what they prefer to be called.

However, you could always get a shirt that says 'I am with bae'.
Or a less cringey alternative.

Oh lord, i hate "bae". but it's an option. Thank you.
Original post by TSR Mustafa

Not a troll. Sorry >.< im just thick <3
Sounds like you could just stick with the classic "I'm with stupid".
Original post by UWS
I am with [Name]

I wanted something with a gender pronoun to show to him that like, im welcoming it.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Sounds like you could just stick with the classic "I'm with stupid".

I wanted something with a gender pronoun to show to him that like, im welcoming it. x
Oh lord, i hate "bae". but it's an option. Thank you.

I have a love-hate relationship with bae as well lol. Such a dumb word. But any kind of pet name would be sweet. Anything that is personal to your relationship, like a unique nickname wouldn't be too bad.

Or go classic and go for a 'I'm with stupid' teasingly.
Original post by TSR Mustafa

But as I identify with my sex, and have never questioned it. Why should I know any different? x
I wanted something with a gender pronoun to show to him that like, im welcoming it. x

Then it sounds like the gender pronoun they want is them since that seems like the one they prefer from the first post. It'd be the most welcoming one.

Eh, they might laugh it off if it's the 'wrong' pronoun, just go with what you sense it right.
Them sounds right x

Quick Reply

Latest