The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by k.russell
How does Cambridge feel about students who have been working and studying at the same time during 6th form - is it seen as impressive? The university clearly recognizes the pressure of working and studying, as they do not allow students to have ordinary jobs whilst at uni

It's up to students whether they wish to or need to work during their sixth form, we don;t have a particular view on it. When they are in Cambridge, we don;t let them work because we regard studying at Cambridge a the equivalent of a full-time job (35-45 hours a week) during term time.
Original post by studentrhume
Thank you for the answer above. One supplemental please:

How would Cambridge look on a deferred application for economics. I understand that this is frowned upon for Maths. Is this the case also for deferred application for Economics at Cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's no problem applying for deferred entry for economics.
Reply 182
Hi, I'm applying to study maths at Cambridge at kings college but I am taking maths, further maths, chemistry and biology but not physics. I got 300/300 ums in maths and 289/300 in further maths and straight As at as level so will I still make a competitive application without physics a level? Thank you.
Hi again, I've got one quick question about the SAQ.

Do you enter subjects (and marks) for subjects that are reformed/linear? If so, where in the form? I've looked at the SAQ guide and there's no place to enter them, only details for any modular subjects you've done. Thanks a lot.
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
It's up to students whether they wish to or need to work during their sixth form, we don;t have a particular view on it. When they are in Cambridge, we don;t let them work because we regard studying at Cambridge a the equivalent of a full-time job (35-45 hours a week) during term time.

Yeah, what I mean is that is the time commitment that taking on a job entails recognised by AT's?
Original post by HolyRomanEmpire
Hi again, I've got one quick question about the SAQ.

Do you enter subjects (and marks) for subjects that are reformed/linear? If so, where in the form? I've looked at the SAQ guide and there's no place to enter them, only details for any modular subjects you've done. Thanks a lot.

Thanks for your question. Do NOT enter raw scores for linear AS Levels in the SAQ. There's a reason why the SAQ guide only talks about modular subjects! :smile: Raw scores can be reported through the school reference if you wish.
Reply 186
Hello,

I will have to the ECAA entrance exam. However I can not find any past papers (other than the specimen papers). Is there a reason Cambridge does not release them or if they have been released, where can I find them?

Thank you.
Original post by k.russell
Yeah, what I mean is that is the time commitment that taking on a job entails recognised by AT's?

It depends on the job, how many hours it is and why the student has taken it on. It's likely only to be a small part of any consideration but it's not unnoticed.
Original post by JK11
Hello,

I will have to the ECAA entrance exam. However I can not find any past papers (other than the specimen papers). Is there a reason Cambridge does not release them or if they have been released, where can I find them?

Thank you.

There are no past papers online because there are no past papers - this is the first year that the assessments have run.
Reply 189
Is physics a level needed for a maths degree at Cambridge?
Original post by SM-
Is physics a level needed for a maths degree at Cambridge?

No. Most students do have Physics but it's not a requirement at most colleges and plenty of people each year are accepted without it. They teach theoretical physics from scratch as part of the Maths tripos.
Reply 191
Thanks a lot, I was extremely worried about that. Also at interviews are questions solely related to our subject for our degree that will be asked? If not, how distant can it go for maths?
Hi Dr Spencer @Murray Edwards Admissions

I am not taking the A Level curriculum but rather the AP/ IB program. Would I be disadvantaged because I haven't completed the AP Exams as opposed to some students who took the exams a year in advance for university application? Also, if I were accepted, how many AP exams would I need to get a 5 on as part of the condition? (I haven't take any AP exams yet, I am planning to take about 5 in the last year of my high school)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Overses

I am not taking the A Level curriculum but rather the AP/ IB program. Would I be disadvantaged because I haven't completed the AP Exams as opposed to some students who took the exams a year in advance for university application? Also, if I were accepted, how many AP exams would I need to get a 5 on as part of the condition? (I haven't take any AP exams yet, I am planning to take about 5 in the last year of my high school)

Might help to include the course you are considering.
Original post by jneill
Might help to include the course you are considering.

Shouldn't it be uniform (the number of AP exams needed) for all courses? It wouldn't make much sense for History to require 5 exams (just making this up) and for Econ to require only 3 or something.
I see. Sorry that I've got two more question.

Currently, two of my friends who are in the same school as mine are planning to apply for Cambridge as well, one for Econ (same as me) and the other for Law. We are planning to apply for the same college as we worked hard together and we are best friends. However, there are rumours that one college will not accept two or more students from the same high school, especially for the same subject. May I know if this is generally true or not? Should my friends and I go for different colleges in Cambridge?

For the Economics Admission Assessment, will it be a crucial criterion for selecting students since they are taking the linear A-Levels? Will it be used as a tool to eliminate students before the interview stage? Will doing badly in it crush my hope of getting an offer from Cambridge?

Thanks.

Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
The Jardine is restricted to specified colleges (four of the top of my head) and the competition is very fierce as it is for all of the overseas scholarships that we have. It doesn't mean, however, that if you lose out on the scholarships that you have no chance of an offer as there are many more places in Cambridge than we have full scholarships.

I can't tell you exactly what will happen in your interview as they are all unique. I expect, however, that maths will still form an important part of at least one of your interviews. If you're asked to send in an essay then you should I expect to discuss that and it's always a good idea to feel confident talking about anything you mentioned on your personal statement or in the SAQ/COPA.
Original post by SM-
Thanks a lot, I was extremely worried about that. Also at interviews are questions solely related to our subject for our degree that will be asked? If not, how distant can it go for maths?

Interviews are aimed at uncovering your suitability for the course you've applied for. Obviously I can't say exactly what happens in each and every interview, but questions are based around your subject. In Maths you should expect to be solving Mathematical problems in the interview, not discussing what you do in your free time or anything like that. You might be asked about things in your personal statement, but in maths this is likely to be nothing more than a question to settle you down before getting going with seeing how good at maths you are.
Original post by Overses

Hello and thanks for your questions. Those who have taken APs early and down well in them will naturally be in a stronger position than those who haven't taken any yet - it would be a bit odd if that wasn't the case. However, that doesn't mean that you are in a bad position, lots of people will be in a similar situation (many of those taking A Levels, for instance) and we are used to assessing applications without results in the penultimate year of school.

You would need five 5s in the APs or 42 points in the IB with 776 in Higher Levels.
Original post by profileradian
I see. Sorry that I've got two more question.

Currently, two of my friends who are in the same school as mine are planning to apply for Cambridge as well, one for Econ (same as me) and the other for Law. We are planning to apply for the same college as we worked hard together and we are best friends. However, there are rumours that one college will not accept two or more students from the same high school, especially for the same subject. May I know if this is generally true or not? Should my friends and I go for different colleges in Cambridge?

For the Economics Admission Assessment, will it be a crucial criterion for selecting students since they are taking the linear A-Levels? Will it be used as a tool to eliminate students before the interview stage? Will doing badly in it crush my hope of getting an offer from Cambridge?

Thanks.

A lot of schools give this advice and I can understand it as they don't like the idea of their students being in direct competition with each other. I don't think they need to worry, as if the students are good enough then they'll both be accepted and the pool means they may well end up in different colleges anyway.

I've certainly accepted several people from the same school in the same year and people from the same school in the same subject too. I've even accepted people from the same family in the same subject!

The assessments are going to be part of the decision making process both pre-interview and at decision time. Decisions won't be solely made on the basis of results in it so if you do badly it doesn't mean that your chances are 'crushed'. That said, the better you do the better as its good to excel in as many parts of the application as possible.
Original post by Overses
Shouldn't it be uniform (the number of AP exams needed) for all courses? It wouldn't make much sense for History to require 5 exams (just making this up) and for Econ to require only 3 or something.

I've no idea. But the requirements for A-levels are A*A*A for most sciences and A*AA for most arts/humanities, so AP grade requirements may vary too... Just edit in your course for completeness :wink:

Edit: NVM, you have an answer anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending