The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering Applicants - 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by timster32
OK, all the unis I want to attend are Russell Group unis, are you happy? And tbf, when you pay a tonne of money to go to a private school, you would expect to go to a uni with a certain level of prestige, or I might as well have gone to a state school.

You do realise Bath beats out nearly every uni, including your oh-so-precious Russell Group unis, for Chem Eng? Loughborough and Heriott-Watt also.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 281
Damn. I'm enjoying reading these arguments though :lol:
Can I just remind everyone that this thread is in the Engineering forum, and is about university applications. Discussing different universities and groupings, and options after completing the degree is part and parcel of this.

However, mild class warfare isn't.

Therefore, please keep this on topic.
Original post by jneill
Even if some non-RG universities are better for ChemEng? So the tonne of money invested in your education hasn't helped you make sensible decisions?

I don't want to be a Chemical Engineer after graduating, so I'm not bothered about how good of a Chemical Engineer I am, I just care about what I'm learning as part of the degree.
Original post by Smack
Can I just remind everyone that this thread is in the Engineering forum, and is about university applications. Discussing different universities and groupings, and options after completing the degree is part and parcel of this.

No one is talking about social status?
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
Yeah ikr it looks so amazing and it seems like they have put alot into the department.

Loughborough I've been there (school trip) but at the time didn't get to visit the chem Eng department. However I like the overall look and feel of the university.

Also applying to Nottingham, keele (for chemistry ) and hull (as a safety net).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds good. Have you seen nottingham? It looks good but I haven't been able to visit.

Just wondering, how do you plan on tailoring your personal statement to make it suitable for both chemistry and chem eng?
Original post by Smack

I will rephrase my advise surrounding university applications to fit the thread topic:
There will be state school students at Russell Group universities. In your application, you may be stressing your passion for team based problem solving, of which, it is likely you will be able to encounter working with diverse cultures, class backgrounds and academic credentials - something crucial for success on a chemical engineering course.

Just because a course states entrance requirements of A*AA, don't decide against applying. If you are from a minority background etc and don't have these grades, but do want to do chemical engineering for the right reasons, there will be schemes to help you do so. It's a hugely inclusive course.

One of the reasons chemical engineering has become so saturated is because people aren't applying for the right reasons; I recommend considering all your options, look through PR spin and make the decision because it's the right course for you. This course does not guarantee you a well-paid job, it is not in huge demand and will not give you some elite prestige in society.
Original post by munchkin1212
Sounds good. Have you seen nottingham? It looks good but I haven't been able to visit.

Just wondering, how do you plan on tailoring your personal statement to make it suitable for both chemistry and chem eng?

Well I live in Nottingham area and been to there for like q programme again I haven't seen the chem Eng department but I like the place as a whole also know someone who did chem Eng at Nottingham and heard about it from them.

Well I contacted the chemistry university and told them about my situation and they said if they need they will request an additional personal statement and not just reject me (hopefully their not lying here).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
Well I live in Nottingham area and been to there for like q programme again I haven't seen the chem Eng department but I like the place as a whole also know someone who did chem Eng at Nottingham and heard about it from them.

Well I contacted the chemistry university and told them about my situation and they said if they need they will request an additional personal statement and not just reject me (hopefully their not lying here).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it is unlikely they will request another personal statement so they can justify an offer. University admissions need to get their allocation and number of offers perfect because they have to ensure a certain number of people place them as their 1st choice university and bring in the money, if they see a personal statement tailored for chemical engineering, and they have an excess of applicants, they will realise they will not likely be 1st or 2nd choice and give lower priority. Having said that, if you're predicted way above the grade requirements and all evidence suggests you will achieve, they will give offers out.

If you're in a position of wanting to put down a mixture of chemistry/chem eng I would tailor the personal statement to talk about your interest in industrial chemistry, and the idea of developing products, which are then suitable for scale-up to meet a certain demand. Alternatively, a topic that has good cross-over is fuel cell chemistry, also a really good topic at the minute with the growth of electric vehicles.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChemEngGrad
I think it is unlikely they will request another personal statement so they can justify an offer. University admissions need to get their allocation and number of offers perfect because they have to ensure a certain number of people place them as their 1st choice university and bring in the money, if they see a personal statement tailored for chemical engineering, and they have an excess of applicants, they will realise they will not likely be 1st or 2nd choice and give lower priority. Having said that, if you're predicted way above the grade requirements and all evidence suggests you will achieve, they will give offers out.

If you're in a position of wanting to put down a mixture of chemistry/chem eng I would tailor the personal statement to talk about your interest in industrial chemistry, and the idea of developing products, which are then suitable for scale-up to meet a certain demand. Alternatively, a topic that has good cross-over is fuel cell chemistry, also a really good topic at the minute with the growth of electric vehicles.

Yes I know a busy / competitive course will have this however this course doesn't seem to be too competitive as according to which university their applicants to offers rate was 100% also apprently the average grade for the subjects was a C even though the requirements were BBB. I understand that I would be limiting myself if they reject me but I don't think I even want to study chemical engineering at other places then the places I'm applying to so even if the chemistry place rejects me I won't really be disadvantaging myself.

Thanks for the advice though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Imperial, Nottingham, Sheffield, Loughborough, Birmingham. Good choices or nah?
Original post by OGFakiie

Good choices, even got a few Russell Groups in there :wink:

Swap Imperial for London Met and you're good to go.
Original post by timster32
No one is talking about social status?

I have trimmed and removed the offending posts.

Original post by ChemEngGrad
I will rephrase my advise surrounding university applications to fit the thread topic:
There will be state school students at Russell Group universities. In your application, you may be stressing your passion for team based problem solving, of which, it is likely you will be able to encounter working with diverse cultures, class backgrounds and academic credentials - something crucial for success on a chemical engineering course.

Just because a course states entrance requirements of A*AA, don't decide against applying. If you are from a minority background etc and don't have these grades, but do want to do chemical engineering for the right reasons, there will be schemes to help you do so. It's a hugely inclusive course.

One of the reasons chemical engineering has become so saturated is because people aren't applying for the right reasons; I recommend considering all your options, look through PR spin and make the decision because it's the right course for you. This course does not guarantee you a well-paid job, it is not in huge demand and will not give you some elite prestige in society.

Good post. PRSOM.

Sounds good.
Have you looked at Bath?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Opinions on Queen's University Belfast?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by munchkin1212
Sounds good.
Have you looked at Bath?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, didn't really like it, and too far from where I live:redface:
Original post by NeverLucky
Swap Imperial for London Met and you're good to go.

didn't think of that, good shout
Yeah, didn't really like it, and too far from where I live:redface:

Same distance from Nottingham as London.
didn't think of that, good shout

Tbf tho, my 5th option on UCAS is Tourism and Events Management at London Met lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending