The Student Room Group

Continue working at logistics company vs HMRC.

Hi.

so I'm currently working on the grad scheme for a logistics company (nothing fancy) and a month ago I was offered a job with HMRC in their London office which I provisionally accepted.The code is: CSR/1667/16

I really don't know what to do as HMRC would look great on my CV and is more relevant to my Economics degree but I feel like the logistics company will provide more opportunities as they haven't hired any other grads in my department.

I'm not really looking at pay (HMRC offer less) but more so how I develop into a professional as there is a long way for me to go. I'm still the silent one in meetings and really unconfident. I still doubt myself a lot and clearly have poor decision making skills.

The HMRC role isn't part of the grad scheme but it still provides training and covers exam fees. However they have specified that career progression isn't definite whereas with the logistics company they have earmarked us as 'future leaders.' I know HMRC will prioritise grads rather than standard employees which is fair but once again the better reputation/name of HMRC is something that is causing me to swing left and right.

The tax office is something that is always going to be there so I'm trying to persuade myself that in a few years if I don't like my current job, then I can switch. Since I'm only 21, there should be an opportunity for me to switch careers before 30 but I feel in this current climate that may not be the case.

I've only got a few days to decide whether to stick to my current job or switch to the other one.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by senz72
Hi.

so I'm currently working on the grad scheme for a logistics company (nothing fancy) and a month ago I was offered a job with HMRC in their London office which I provisionally accepted.The code is: CSR/1667/16

I really don't know what to do as HMRC would look great on my CV and is more relevant to my Economics degree but I feel like the logistics company will provide more opportunities as they haven't hired any other grads in my department.

I'm not really looking at pay (HMRC offer less) but more so how I develop into a professional as there is a long way for me to go. I'm still the silent one in meetings and really unconfident. I still doubt myself a lot and clearly have poor decision making skills.

The HMRC role isn't part of the grad scheme but it still provides training and covers exam fees. However they have specified that career progression isn't definite whereas with the logistics company they have earmarked us as 'future leaders.' I know HMRC will prioritise grads rather than standard employees which is fair but once again the better reputation/name of HMRC is something that is causing me to swing left and right.

The tax office is something that is always going to be there so I'm trying to persuade myself that in a few years if I don't like my current job, then I can switch. Since I'm only 21, there should be an opportunity for me to switch careers before 30 but I feel in this current climate that may not be the case.

I've only got a few days to decide whether to stick to my current job or switch to the other one.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you.

Do you enjoy your current role and how long have you been there?

I'm in a similar situation and have also been offered a HMRC role in London.
Reply 2
Original post by Tbx
Do you enjoy your current role and how long have you been there?

I'm in a similar situation and have also been offered a HMRC role in London.

I somewhat enjoy it. The conversations with seniority still freak me out.
I find the pace really good and I even feel like I've actually come a long way in the three weeks I've been here.

I'm worried if I pull out of the HMRC offer now, then I'll be screwed in the future if I apply again. The subject of Tax and public sector economics has always been an interest of mine.

From what I've seen, the 'O' grade whilst is decent, people seem to prefer the other routes.
Tricky situation but I would be siding towards HMRC.

Try to list out and compare the two jobs:
http://www.monster.com/career-advice/article/compare-job-offers

hamza ahmad luton 786 hertfordshire hamzaahmad786
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by senz72
I somewhat enjoy it. The conversations with seniority still freak me out.
I find the pace really good and I even feel like I've actually come a long way in the three weeks I've been here.

I'm worried if I pull out of the HMRC offer now, then I'll be screwed in the future if I apply again. The subject of Tax and public sector economics has always been an interest of mine.

From what I've seen, the 'O' grade whilst is decent, people seem to prefer the other routes.

In your situation I would go for the "O" band role. Your have done well to secure a graduate position and whilst you are enjoying it, this opportunity has caused you to reconsider your options.

I'm sure you seen that some people have successfully reapplied to the TSP from "O" grade roles, but I don't think HMRC would hold it against you pulled out professionally.

Also it might be worth consider how large the pay drop is, and how it would look leaving after such a short period of time.
Reply 5
Original post by senz72
Hi.

When making a choice like this, you need to work who has the upper hand.

Personally I think HMRC need you more that you need them, especially as the economy is picking up.

I'm sure that HMRC took their time in offering you a position,
I think HMRC would respect your decision to stay at the logistics company as you have already made a commitment to them.

Could you stay at the logistics company and be involved with VAT and import duties, and also keep in touch with HMRC recruitment team?

This way you are keeping your options open.
Reply 6
Original post by Tbx
In your situation I would go for the "O" band role. Your have done well to secure a graduate position and whilst you are enjoying it, this opportunity has caused you to reconsider your options.

I'm sure you seen that some people have successfully reapplied to the TSP from "O" grade roles, but I don't think HMRC would hold it against you pulled out professionally.

Also it might be worth consider how large the pay drop is, and how it would look leaving after such a short period of time.

Thank you so much for your help.
Half the reason why I've considered my opportunity is the whole name thing. Coming from a strict Asian background, my parents weren't happy with my logistics job.

Pay isn't bad at HMRC nor important but the logistics company won't be happy if I just leave.

I'm trying to assess if I can get an 'O' role in the future should I wish to have a career change.

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by st*r
When making a choice like this, you need to work who has the upper hand.

Personally I think HMRC need you more that you need them, especially as the economy is picking up.

I'm sure that HMRC took their time in offering you a position,
I think HMRC would respect your decision to stay at the logistics company as you have already made a commitment to them.

Could you stay at the logistics company and be involved with VAT and import duties, and also keep in touch with HMRC recruitment team?

This way you are keeping your options open.

I'm currently in the project management team so not sure I'd be dealing with VAT and import duties. That being said I do have a stint with the project accountants.

I hate being so indecisive but I'm starting to feel like I should honour my contract with the current company and see how things work out in a few years time provided I haven't shot myself in the foot.
Thank you for your help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by senz72
I'm currently in the project management team so not sure I'd be dealing with VAT and import duties. That being said I do have a stint with the project accountants.

I hate being so indecisive but I'm starting to feel like I should honour my contract with the current company and see how things work out in a few years time provided I haven't shot myself in the foot.
Thank you for your help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

With graduate schemes they tend to move you around different departments to see where you fit in best. Until you have tried a bit of everything you won't know.

Try and get to know the accountants a bit better during the course of your work and tell them your interests. Even like finding excuses to go to their office / section to collect anything, or attending any meetings they will be at too.
Think of some interesting questions related to your work and go and ask them.
Reply 9
Original post by st*r
With graduate schemes they tend to move you around different departments to see where you fit in best. Until you have tried a bit of everything you won't know.

Try and get to know the accountants a bit better during the course of your work and tell them your interests. Even like finding excuses to go to their office / section to collect anything, or attending any meetings they will be at too.
Think of some interesting questions related to your work and go and ask them.

Okay will do. The issue is I have till Wednesday to hand my certificates. I also want to be courteous and let them know beforehand if I'm withdrawing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by senz72
Okay will do. The issue is I have till Wednesday to hand my certificates. I also want to be courteous and let them know beforehand if I'm withdrawing.

Just let them know ASAP.
Explain that your still interested but the timing is wrong and that you want to keep in touch with them.
Reply 11
Original post by st*r
Just let them know ASAP.
Explain that your still interested but the timing is wrong and that you want to keep in touch with them.

Thank you so much! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending