The Student Room Group

University of Warwick students forced to share single rooms.

They can all blame Blair and the Labour Party for this - without their appalling "50% of young adults must attend university" target universities would be far less crowded and everyone would be able to have their own room.

And typical students - blaming Brexit for everything. If the university wants to make more money from international students, then good on them. Universities are businesses first and foremost.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2

you mis-read the article

"a chronic accommodation shortage sparked by a rush of EU students enrolling ahead of Brexit."

nothing to do with the uni "cashing in EU students", plus this sharing thing has been around for years, its nothing new, not to mention the fact that sharing at Warwick lasts about 3 weeks before they separate you anyway, its just temporary
Reply 3
Original post by Eulers_
you mis-read the article

"a chronic accommodation shortage sparked by a rush of EU students enrolling ahead of Brexit."

nothing to do with the uni "cashing in EU students", plus this sharing thing has been around for years, its nothing new, not to mention the fact that sharing at Warwick lasts about 3 weeks before they separate you anyway, its just temporary

No, I didn't.

You think the university doesn't have control over who attends its courses? Do you think it doesn't know how many places it has on each course or how much accommodation it has?

What do you think a university normally does when it has more people apply than it has room for? It accepts the best students - the entire point of the UCAS process.

This is clearly Warwick accepting too many students in a cynical move at money-grabbing before it thinks the funding dries up.

Are you a Warwick student?

SS
Reply 4
Original post by Supersaps
No, I didn't.

You think the university doesn't have control over who attends its courses? Do you think it doesn't know how many places it has on each course or how much accommodation it has?

What do you think a university normally does when it has more people apply than it has room for? It accepts the best students - the entire point of the UCAS process.

This is clearly Warwick accepting too many students in a cynical move at money-grabbing before it thinks the funding dries up.

Are you a Warwick student?

SS

Every single year they get about 120+ students sharing accommodation, its completely standard and has bee for more than 9 years, and nothing to do with over-accepting or EU referendum nonsense. The people in shared accommodation then in 95% of the cases split into separate rooms within 3 weeks. Its an overflow mechanism intended on filling any vacant spots, similar things happen with other unis.

The university even said that the number of shared rooms this year dropped by 10 (20 fewer students sharing), so nothing to do with this EU referendum BS.

The writer, for whatever reason, wants to criticise Brexit by bringing up a minor issue at one university. Although I was against Brexit, this smear is unnecessary. The writers are pretty much just looking for something to write about that incriminates Brexit.
Reply 5
Did you read the article?

There's 120 undergraduates plus at least another 150 postgrads. That's nearly 300 new students they haven't bothered finding a home for.

A convenient overflow 'mechanism' that nets them at least an extra £2.7m in tuition fees this year and arguably another £1m in accommodation costs. More if there are international students paying full rate.

270 students without rooms is either appallingly incompetent or devastatingly cynical.

You'd better hope it's the latter because if it's the former your time at Warwick is going to be pretty unpleasant.

SS
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Supersaps
Did you read the article?

There's 120 undergraduates plus at least another 150 postgrads. That's nearly 300 new students they haven't bothered finding a home for.

A convenient overflow 'mechanism' that nets them an extra £2.7m this year. More if there are international students paying full rate.

270 students without rooms is either appallingly incompetent or devastatingly cynical.

You'd better hope it's the latter because if it's the former your time at Warwick is going to be pretty unpleasant.

SS

I read it, and its uninformed nonsense, two little girls speculating how to weaponise the situation at one university into an anti-Brexit article. I was pro remain, but even I can see this idiocy. The number of shared rooms for undergraduates this academic year is lower than last year, the situation for postgraduates is different, the application system is different and almost all of them live off campus anyway. This happens every single year at Warwick, its not that they are too lazy to find a room, its a standard thing which happens and it almost exclusively happens to undergraduates whose choice was insurance and not firm, and it lasts two to three weeks maximum. And I'm not at Warwick.
Reply 7

University students in the US will read this article and laugh because they normally have to share rooms (sometimes with more than 1 person !!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending