The Student Room Group

To people who believe in God, could you answer my questions?

Scroll to see replies

I haven't experienced God in anyway, but my mum believes she has.

My family is not religious, in the slightest. Although there's been points where people in my family have sought God.

My mum used to suffer with severe depression and anxiety. She says she used to wake up early every morning, and sit on the sofa and adamantly pray to God for guidance. Like I said she's not religious, was raised in an agnostic/ atheist family but was desperate.

She says that one day when she was praying and asking God for help, she heard a voice inside her head. And the voice said "the love is there for you, but you have to help yourself".

She felt at the time that it was God, and she believes that helped give her the motivation to get better. Yes, it might have just been the strength of her own mind, her own subconscious willing for her to try and get better, but who's to say how God manifests himself? :holmes:

I don't know. I want to believe in God, but as soon as I read into it, I just feel like I'm having humans impress their own ideologies and worldviews onto me, and then the longing for God goes away in an instant.

If you're interested in God and Christianity OP, I will say that one book that came close for me was Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell. Rob has some very different ways of thinking to traditional Christianity, and some different interpretations of the bible which resonates with me a little more.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by honey55497
i would lyk to c evidence for that as you cannot just have claimed that

There's even a British ex-Muslim council which wouldn't be a thing if only a handful existed :lol:
i would lyk to c evidence for that as you cannot just have claimed that

You could start looking at the Ex Muslim society on here perhaps.
copy and paste

and it also came on bbc

to sum up what you posted; the vast majority of Islam's growth is coming from birthrate and only a small fraction from conversion. Bear in mind it only mentioned the US for the conversion rates, can't imagine it being much higher elsewhere especially in Europe where religion takes the back foot.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
You could start looking at the Ex Muslim society on here perhaps.

how do u know that people dont fake it becuz i have found out people pretending to be non muslims and saying they were x muslims which is y even statistics is better becuz they dont lie and i would lyk to c statistics
Original post by 0xFFFFail
to sum up what you posted; the vast majority of Islam's growth is coming from birthrate and only a small fraction from conversion. Bear in mind it only mentioned the US for the conversion rates, can't imagine it being much higher elsewhere especially in Europe where religion takes the back foot.

obviously i copied and pasted it becuz u said u wanted evidence people cant even remeber what they said themselves:biggrin::u:
Reply 166
yeah i think the pew research data is flawed. i've heard many people tell me they can predict the future and none have been all that correct so far.

my opinion is as western education spreads further east and it becomes impossible to marry up logical inconsistencies within the qu'ran with realities observed by people working with modern technologies that a tipping point will be reached whereby islam slowly dilutes itself into oblivion - as is happening with the other religions. islam is just a few decades behind, bless them :wink:

edit; one such hilarity i'll point out is the current discussion in the muslim world about how to pray towards mecca from space. :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
how do u know that people dont fake it becuz i have found out people pretending to be non muslims and saying they were x muslims which is y even statistics is better becuz they dont lie and i would lyk to c statistics

http://ex-muslim.org.uk
https://www.theguardian.com/global/2015/may/17/losing-their-religion-british-ex-muslims-non-believers-hidden-crisis-faith
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34357047
I am not me without god.

By definition ex-Muslims are non-Muslims :facepalm:
Original post by Twinpeaks
I haven't experienced God in anyway, but my mum believes she has.

My family is not religious, in the slightest. Although there's been points where people in my family have sought God.

My mum used to suffer with severe depression and anxiety. She says she used to wake up early every morning, and sit on the sofa and adamantly pray to God for guidance. Like I said she's not religious, was raised in an agnostic/ atheist family but was desperate.

She says that one day when she was praying and asking God for help, she heard a voice inside her head. And the voice said "the love is there for you, but you have to help yourself".

She felt at the time that it was God, and she believes that helped give her the motivation to get better. Yes, it might have just been the strength of her own mind, her own subconscious willing for her to try and get better, but who's to say how God manifests himself? :s-smilie:herlock:

I don't know. I want to believe in God, but as soon as I read into it, I just feel like I'm having humans impress their own ideologies and worldviews onto me, and then the longing for God goes away in an instant.

If you're interested in God and Christianity OP, I will say that one book that came close for me was Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell. Rob has some very different ways of thinking to traditional Christianity, and some different interpretations of the bible which resonates with me a little more.

My mum has an experience really similar to your mums actually. My mum said that once she was praying (she was in a deep state of depression from her infertility issues) and she closed her eyes and in her head she heard a voice say "in two years". She said she was shocked when she opened her eyes again. I was born two years later.

The thing is, for an answer like that to be so specific really does make me question things.

I would love to read it :smile:
obviously i copied and pasted it becuz u said u wanted evidence people cant even remeber what they said themselves:biggrin::u:

I'm not sure what you mean? I deleted it because I didn't want it being posted twice on the page thus wasting screen space for people trying to read. Otherwise, did you completely ignore what I said?

Original post by iThrow
yeah i think the pew research data is flawed. i've heard many people tell me they can predict the future and none have been all that correct so far.

my opinion is as western education spreads further east and it becomes impossible to marry up logical inconsistencies within the qu'ran with realities observed by people working with modern technologies that a tipping point will be reached whereby islam slowly dilutes itself into oblivion - as is happening with the other religions. islam is just a few decades behind, bless them :wink:

I'm not going to rationalise the research as flawed as pew research think tank is a very reliable source.What exactly constitutes as western education? You think modern tech doesn't exist in the Islamic world?
Reply 172

I'm not going to rationalise the research as flawed as pew research think tank is a very reliable source.What exactly constitutes as western education? You think modern tech doesn't exist in the Islamic world?

like i said, they can't predict the future any better than you or I, or any economist, can. This isn't something mathematically measurable as there are just too many variables.

Western education constitutes atheism basically. It involves looking at the ways the world came to be and using those models to predict things about our planet and space - things you can mathematically predict and observe the results. Something deeply lacking in the muslim world. The crux will come when muslims actually get involved in space travel - so far there has been only a handful that have even gone to space, and even then one was royalty and another was an american; another was a soviet and the majority of the rest were kazakhs.

while the rest of the world are discussing real breakthroughs for space technology, muslims are arguing on the best way to pray toward mecca from space.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Boss_Rhythm
Muslim.
No.
N/A.
(Inshallah) Yes.

man like
Original post by sh9
1) Islam. Deep down I've always been conscious of God, but I only became religious this year.

2) I believe so. I believe God guides and shows clear signs to those who turn to him and want him in their life.

3) I developed an interest in understanding religion and began to learn more due to all of the questions about life that consumed my thoughts every day.
I found the answers I needed and my life has improved so much since seeking help through prayer. It's the most personal thing in the world and makes me feel truly elated.

Everyone has their own experiences. It's all about what you feel; you either get it or you don't and if you don't get it, then forget it.

4) I believe that there's a time when humanity is destined to return to the creator.

man like
Original post by samantham999
I am not me without god.

man like samantha
Original post by Metalfros
1)What religion do you belong to?
Islam.

2)Have you "experienced" God in any way, shape or form?
Not really, although my believe goes deep. Everytime I pray I get a good feeling and everything seems to go better then when I don't I can write a whole essay on this, but don't want to trigger any atheists.

3)What was your experience?
^See above.

4)Do you believe you will meet/experience God one day?
Well, yeah obviously. But only after my death and if I have done enough to be allowed to enter Djannah (heaven) insha allah.

man like rob stark
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I really want Atheists/ agnostics or anyone who disagrees to completely RESPECT this thread. I can't prevent debate, I'm pretty sure it's inevitable on a thread like this but I just don't want this thread to be 17 pages of insulting dribble on why Prophet Muhammed was a pedophile, or how Islam is unfair to women etc etc

Please keep things respectful and non-judgemental

I've been reading and watching a lot of debates/documentaries on religion/God and his existence (a hobby I seem to have taken up recently), and a lot of the debates are fuelled by complex philosophical arguments and enter this weird realm between Philosophy and Science to back up their points, which is extremely interesting but leaves me a tad bit unsatisfied at times. I honestly really just want to keep this extremely simple.

So I want to ask anyone who believes in God:

1)What religion do you belong to?

2)Have you "experienced" God in any way, shape or form?

3)What was your experience?

4)Do you believe you will meet/experience God one day?

Spoiler

1) Baptist

2) Yes, a few times

3) As a voice talking to me; and the indwelling feeling of the Holy Spirit coming into me. Also seeing other spiritual entities

4)Yes, I am 100% certain that one day myself and all people will meet Jesus
I'm not sure what you mean? I deleted it because I didn't want it being posted twice on the page thus wasting screen space for people trying to read. Otherwise, did you completely ignore what I said?

1500 years ago i dint and it was not a prediction i request u to watch zakir naik manyyyyyy athiests have converted to islam by him he gives the best examples
Reply 179
1500 years ago i dint and it was not a prediction i request u to watch zakir naik manyyyyyy athiests have converted to islam by him he gives the best examples

zakir naik?!

you realize he is a laughing stock in the scientific world? in fact he is banned from preaching in the UK due to his extremist beliefs..

i think i'm starting to see exactly how extreme of a muslim you might also be.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending