The Student Room Group

Biochemistry, Biomedical and Biological Science Applicants 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Hey hope this is an ok place for me to join in the discussion! :-)
Applying for Medical Science & Engineering at UCL with a PS for Medicine
Also Anatomy/Human Biology at Liverpool too

GCSEs 4A*s 8As 1B
Access to Medicine Diploma 13 distinctions 2 merits
Predicted A* in Chemistry A-Level this yr (fast-tracking 2yrs into 1)

I'm older than most undergrad applicants, not that it matters, but just to contextualise how I got all of this experience lol
I'm a HCA now, I was a home-visit carer for 1yr, and also do freelance work a on a digital medical diagnostic tool sourcing global prevalence data etc.*
Volunteered for 1yr with a HIV+ support charity
Volunteered for 1yr with a brain injury support charity*
Work experience in each:
ITU, Burns, Haematology, Nuclear Medicine

Nothing notable in my ECs but I love to kayak, cycle, cook & have read pretty much every popular science/medical memoir out there!

Good luck to everybody applying this year*
Reply 41
How is your application going? :smile:
Hi!
I'm another Biochem 2017 applicant.
GCSEs: 9A*s 2As
AS: AAAb (b in dropped phys)
A2 prediction: A*A*A* (bio,chem,math)
Universities: Oxford(A*AA),Durham(natsci A*AA),York(AAA/AAB),Bath(AAA/A*AB) and Warwick (ABB).
Finished second draft of my personal statement.

:smile:
Original post by elrv
How is your application going? :smile:

Well done on getting your application done already, that must be such a relief!
I'm semi-panicking and rushing to get my personal statement done - currently one of my final drafts, just have to cut down on characters :colondollar:

Also, out of curiosity, what made you go for Biochemistry? :smile:
Original post by _wsburn
Hi!
I'm another Biochem 2017 applicant.
GCSEs: 9A*s 2As
AS: AAAb (b in dropped phys)
A2 prediction: A*A*A* (bio,chem,math)
Universities: Oxford(A*AA),Durham(natsci A*AA),York(AAA/AAB),Bath(AAA/A*AB) and Warwick (ABB).
Finished second draft of my personal statement.

:smile:

Welcome! :biggrin: How are you finding year 13? And good luck with your application - hope it's going well :smile:
Original post by alldaydreaming
Welcome! :biggrin: How are you finding year 13? And good luck with your application - hope it's going well :smile:

Hi!

Year 13 is going well and nothing has been too hard (yet). Already about to finish Core 3 for Maths which is good. Quite nervous about the oct 15th deadline for the personal statement. On another note, I can't believe how much content (y12+y13) will be assessed at the end of the yr for biology and chemistry. I guess that you just have to gradually revise last year's work.

How about you?
Reply 46
Original post by _wsburn
Hi!

Year 13 is going well and nothing has been too hard (yet). Already about to finish Core 3 for Maths which is good. Quite nervous about the oct 15th deadline for the personal statement. On another note, I can't believe how much content (y12+y13) will be assessed at the end of the yr for biology and chemistry. I guess that you just have to gradually revise last year's work.

How about you?

You're already nealy finished c3? we're just starting trigonometry!
The amount of content in Biology and Chemistry was actually one of the reasons I'm doing 3 and not 4 subjects. I definitely think it's a case of frequently reviewing it and trying not to forget it.

Well done on getting your application done already, that must be such a relief!
I'm semi-panicking and rushing to get my personal statement done - currently one of my final drafts, just have to cut down on characters :colondollar:

Also, out of curiosity, what made you go for Biochemistry? :smile:

I was going to apply to medicine until around a year ago but then I decided it wasn't really for me and I'd rather do more research based work. I went to a lecture which I really enjoyed which helped too!
What about you?
Original post by _wsburn
Hi!

How about you?

I'm almost done with Core 3 too! It isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be luckily! I'm sure Core 4 will be terrible though :angry:
I'm slightly nervous about the 15th oct deadline too - I think I'll just about make it.
And, I agree! Revising Y12 & Y13 for the sciences will be difficult - I don't understand how they expect us to retain so much information! But yeah, I think gradually going over Y12 at the same time as Y13 is going to be the way to go - just need to slowly chip away at revision, I guess
Original post by elrv
You're already nealy finished c3? we're just starting trigonometry!
The amount of content in Biology and Chemistry was actually one of the reasons I'm doing 3 and not 4 subjects. I definitely think it's a case of frequently reviewing it and trying not to forget it.

I was going to apply to medicine until around a year ago but then I decided it wasn't really for me and I'd rather do more research based work. I went to a lecture which I really enjoyed which helped too!
What about you?

I'm wanting to do research too! I was planning on applying for Biological Sciences until about halfway through Y12 when I realised I really liked Organic Chemistry. I'm also interested in Molecular Biology - so I decided to go for Biochem instead. Plus, I HATE ecology and physiology/anatomy - hence why I decided against Biological Sciences :rolleyes:
Reply 49
Hey, our experiences could not be more similar. I too am debating between applying to Biochem at Oxford and Natural Sciences at Cambridge. I have even done the same work experience!In part, I agree that it could be easier to apply to Oxford. However, the information that I have gleaned from speaking to admissions tutors etc. suggests that the admissions test will bear just as much weight as every other aspect of the application. Therefore, it is almost a reassuring back -up that the admissions test lets you have a go at succeeding in an additional part of the process. Having slightly less resting on the interview alone is definitely an advantage to most. I also think it's important to consider how much the Oxford course is based on chemistry. Although I really enjoy chemistry, I prefer the living organism aspects too and the nat sci course definitely has more emphasis on this.I was going to apply to Biosciences at Durham but I spoke to a graduate who said that Natural Sciences has a far better reputation as an internationally recognised course. I think this is very important to employers now. If you look at the course specification you will also find that it incorporates a lot of biochemistry and offers the same flexibility as the Cambridge course. My back-ups are also universities that are quite high calibre and so I am a bit worried about not being offered a place. Have you made any decision on what to do about your choices?Good luck with it all.
I'd really recommend 'The Chemistry of Life' by Steven Rose for learning more about biochem before next yr.
GCSE Grades - 2A, 5B, 1C
AS Grades - AAB (chem biol economics)
A2 Predictions - A*AA
Universities - Bath Warwick York Exeter Nottingham
Reply 52
I'm almost done with Core 3 too! It isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be luckily! I'm sure Core 4 will be terrible though :angry:
I'm slightly nervous about the 15th oct deadline too - I think I'll just about make it.
And, I agree! Revising Y12 & Y13 for the sciences will be difficult - I don't understand how they expect us to retain so much information! But yeah, I think gradually going over Y12 at the same time as Y13 is going to be the way to go - just need to slowly chip away at revision, I guess

Deadline!!!! For what?! :O

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiiten
Deadline!!!! For what?! :O

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oxbridge deadline
Original post by valbrechts
GCSE Grades - 2A, 5B, 1C
AS Grades - AAB (chem biol economics)
A2 Predictions - A*AA
Universities - Bath Warwick York Exeter Nottingham

Hi there! Welcome to the thread :smile:
How are you finding Y13? And how's your uni application going? :h:
Original post by _wsburn
I'd really recommend 'The Chemistry of Life' by Steven Rose for learning more about biochem before next yr.

Thanks! I'll be sure to check it out :biggrin:
Reply 56
Oxbridge deadline

Ah pheww :smile:. For a moment i thought biochem was part of the early entry deadline too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there! Welcome to the thread :smile:
How are you finding Y13? And how's your uni application going? :h:

Ehh its harder but I'll manage. Ill be sending my application on the weekend since my statement is 99% done but I just need to get it checked for grammatical errors. Do reckon thats too early? ahah When are you planning on sending yours?
Original post by valbrechts
Ehh its harder but I'll manage. Ill be sending my application on the weekend since my statement is 99% done but I just need to get it checked for grammatical errors. Do reckon thats too early? ahah When are you planning on sending yours?

Wow- that's great, I don't think its too early, no, if you're almost done why not get it submitted? :smile:
And mine, is taking a bit of a while - should be getting it sent off early the week after next (so around the 10th Oct). I'm worried it's quite late but oh well - as long as it's before the 15th.
Wow- that's great, I don't think its too early, no, if you're almost done why not get it submitted? :smile:
And mine, is taking a bit of a while - should be getting it sent off early the week after next (so around the 10th Oct). I'm worried it's quite late but oh well - as long as it's before the 15th.

True. Its strange but im so excited to send mine. Cant wait to see if I get offers or not. Good luck to you !!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending