The Student Room Group

ASUS ROG GL752VW-DH71 gaming laptop - thoughts?

Evenin'I'm about settled on getting this laptop for gaming and streaming games to Twitch. Maybe a bit of video editing.
I'd definitely be streaming Overwatch, and then some lower end games that I have kicking about in my library.
Anyone have any previous experience of this laptop, or... yeah that's all I'm asking for.Thanks!
Original post by liomeeringca
Evenin'I'm about settled on getting this laptop for gaming and streaming games to Twitch. Maybe a bit of video editing.
I'd definitely be streaming Overwatch, and then some lower end games that I have kicking about in my library.
Anyone have any previous experience of this laptop, or... yeah that's all I'm asking for.Thanks!

Top of the range spec there bar the Graphics Card. To be honest I feel you may as well buy a PC for that money (will it be about £850?) and just upgrade the GC to a 1060 if found at the right price. Hell you could even downgrade the processor to a later model of the i5 and get a better GC for the money saved.

Decent memory and looks good, enjoy whatever you buy!
Original post by NoPunInThisName
Top of the range spec there bar the Graphics Card. To be honest I feel you may as well buy a PC for that money (will it be about £850?) and just upgrade the GC to a 1060 if found at the right price. Hell you could even downgrade the processor to a later model of the i5 and get a better GC for the money saved.

Decent memory and looks good, enjoy whatever you buy!

Thanks for your reply! I'd get a PC, but my living situation is a tad precarious. The dream is of course to build my own, but right now a laptop is the most sensible idea.

What's up with the graphics card?
Original post by liomeeringca
Thanks for your reply! I'd get a PC, but my living situation is a tad precarious. The dream is of course to build my own, but right now a laptop is the most sensible idea.

What's up with the graphics card?

It's a mid range mobile GPU from the previous generation.

Mobile GPU's are at best, no more than 65% of the equivalent power of their desktop versions. A Desktop GTX960 would not be sufficient to play and simultaneously stream Overwatch to Twitch in a quality that would attract viewers, so the mobile version would just be plain painful to watch.
Wow, thank you for such a detailed reply. I don't know a lot about specs and whatnot so this is really helpful.

The reason I'm leaning toward laptops instead of desktops is that I'm on a year abroad for my course in another country. I can't exactly stick a desktop in my hand luggage at the end of the year. I have no clue how to safely transport that home. Obviously I wouldn't stream outside of my home as you say, so the portability isn't that big of a deal but it's the fact that I have to get this stuff back to my home country.
That again applies to the 'dual monitor setup' - ideal, but not what I can afford right now.
I hope that explains it.

Could you give me... I don't know, a shopping list of what I need to look for in laptop specs in order to be able to stream and play comfortably? You state that I need a 10 series GPU, is there anything else that's a requirement for what I intend to use the laptop for?

Thanks again :smile:
Theres a version of that with a 970.
Ironically I was looking at an advert for that just the other day and the price was the same but in £ so a 1$=£1 conversion.
Check out Razor Blades, they're considered the best gaming laptops by many.
Original post by Athena64
Check out Razor Blades, they're considered the best gaming laptops by many.

Not available in the UK yet, after import fees, literally anything on the market is cheaper.
Am I being a doofus if I buy a gaming laptop with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M? Like I would love to upgrade to the 10 series but that actually doubles the price of the laptop soooooooo you see my predicament...
Original post by iainvg
Not available in the UK yet, after import fees, literally anything on the market is cheaper.

Ah, that's terrible. I didn't know it wasn't over here yet. Ah, well, I'm sorry I can't help much. >.<

Hopefully someone can help you further.
I know the 970 is good but the 1060 is recommended. Check out ComputerPlanet, Novatech and Overclockers for solid prices!
Playing the games wont be an issue. I can run most games at well over 40 FPS with my 770m laptop on at least medium, which should be equal to or less than that 960m. I run overwatch very comfortably with it, so it shouldn't be an issue.

The streaming will tax the laptop, and I cant see you streaming any more than at 30FPS, but for just playing games it should be decent.
(edited 7 years ago)
I brought a laptop for a similar price and it's been handy as I move around a lot, but by far a better alternative is to get a desktop PC (I have both, just for clarity).

If you really insist on getting a laptop, then that's about the price range I'd expect for that sort of spec/brand. You may want to look into MSI. In general though, don't expect top from a laptop even if it is advertised as a gaming one. By comparison, my laptop is better but it can struggle to run quite a few games at a decent frame-rate and graphics options, and it gives off A LOT of heat.
Ok i've seen people saying its not good to stream and play games on the laptop, but what if you just wanted to play games on it, e.g. Overwatch? What would the fps be with this?
Original post by DarthGrizzly
Ok i've seen people saying its not good to stream and play games on the laptop, but what if you just wanted to play games on it, e.g. Overwatch? What would the fps be with this?

I play on a 770m laptop which is probably worse than the 960m. I get ~75FPS on high, dipping down to 60 in intense fights
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest