The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Mactotaur
I got an A* in EPQ doing an Artefact. If anyone else is doing an artefact project, maybe I can help you by answering any questions you have.

Hi :smile:
I was thinking of doing an artefact for my EPQ and I was just about to post asking for advice! Do you mind me asking what your artefact was?
Thank you :smile:
Original post by CaptErin
Hi :smile:
I was thinking of doing an artefact for my EPQ and I was just about to post asking for advice! Do you mind me asking what your artefact was?
Thank you :smile:

I researched a particular author's stories and how he wrote, and then wrote my own short story (~6000 words) based on his style. I then wrote a short essay detailing what I'd done and how I'd done it.
Reply 3
Hello, I’m doing the EPQ (Extended Project Qualification). I wish to study Primary School Teaching at university so want to base the project around children. I will be making artefact - such as a book, campaign or video, then writing a 1000 word report on my findings and research.
I have thought of three possible titles for the project, however I need three objectives for each title to try and meet when I carry out the project. I will pick one title and work towards achieving the objectives I have set then evaluating whether I have done this at the end.
My problem is, I can’t think of many objectives for each potential title!!!
I wondered if anyone had any ideas to help think of suitable objectives also anything to edit on the objectives already written. It would be interesting to know if anyone is doing/has done a project similar to this and what they did/were thinking of doing.
This is all I have so far,

My potential titles are:

Can I make a children's story book teaching internet safety

Objectives:

Plan and research a book to teach children about internet safety

Can I raise internet safety awareness to children

???

Can I make a campaign for internet safety awareness

Objectives:

Research and plan a campaign aimed at educating children on internet safety

Make a campaign fit with campaign video, flyers, posters aimed at children

???

Can I make a children's story book

Objectives:

Make a story book suitable for children

Plan and research children story books

Read book to target audience

Original post by H987654
Hello, I’m doing the EPQ (Extended Project Qualification). I wish to study Primary School Teaching at university so want to base the project around children. I will be making artefact - such as a book, campaign or video, then writing a 1000 word report on my findings and research.
I have thought of three possible titles for the project, however I need three objectives for each title to try and meet when I carry out the project. I will pick one title and work towards achieving the objectives I have set then evaluating whether I have done this at the end.
My problem is, I can’t think of many objectives for each potential title!!!
I wondered if anyone had any ideas to help think of suitable objectives also anything to edit on the objectives already written. It would be interesting to know if anyone is doing/has done a project similar to this and what they did/were thinking of doing.

Do you have to do a question? My title was simply "Create a short story in the style of H. P. Lovecraft."
Reply 5
Hello, if I was to make a short comic/manga, would I have to do the same method as you and pick one author to research and recreate their style? Or is there any other option for me, like research a certain topic and make it about that? I would love to get an A* as well but I would prefer to use my own style than someone else's. Thank you.
Hi, does an EPQ help you with getting into uni and stuff?
Original post by goldenusername

EPQ counted as an AS level for me, but that's now changing based on there no longer being any AS levels. However, I imagine it still counts as UCAS points - not much, but a high level EPQ might just push you over the edge.
Original post by malyjez
Hello, if I was to make a short comic/manga, would I have to do the same method as you and pick one author to research and recreate their style? Or is there any other option for me, like research a certain topic and make it about that? I would love to get an A* as well but I would prefer to use my own style than someone else's. Thank you.

There are two types of EPQ project, as you may be aware, essay and artefact. With the essay type you write an essay on a question or hypothesis, with the artefact you create something. Whatever style you do it, if you're creating a manga you'd need to do an artefact-style project. You also need a project title/question, so if you don't want to emulate a particular author/artist you could pick a specific 'age' of comics, or something similar.
Reply 9
There are two types of EPQ project, as you may be aware, essay and artefact. With the essay type you write an essay on a question or hypothesis, with the artefact you create something. Whatever style you do it, if you're creating a manga you'd need to do an artefact-style project. You also need a project title/question, so if you don't want to emulate a particular author/artist you could pick a specific 'age' of comics, or something similar.

Thanks, I'm just really struggling at choosing a title for my artefact. I would prefer to do a modern-age manga but I feel choosing today for the 'specific age' wouldn't be creative enough... Do you think I could research into a specific genre style and try making it into that, or is that not creative enough either? :s-smilie:
Original post by malyjez
Thanks, I'm just really struggling at choosing a title for my artefact. I would prefer to do a modern-age manga but I feel choosing today for the 'specific age' wouldn't be creative enough... Do you think I could research into a specific genre style and try making it into that, or is that not creative enough either? :s-smilie:

That would probably be enough - the title of my project was simply 'Create a short story in the style of H. P. Lovecraft.' As long as you can explain it in a bit more detail ('I will research x amount of Lovecraft's stories, analyse what conventions and language structures he relied upon, and emulate them in my own story'), you'll be fine.
Reply 11
Original post by goldenusername

Some universities reduce their typical offer slightly if you have an EPQ.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
That would probably be enough - the title of my project was simply 'Create a short story in the style of H. P. Lovecraft.' As long as you can explain it in a bit more detail ('I will research x amount of Lovecraft's stories, analyse what conventions and language structures he relied upon, and emulate them in my own story':wink:, you'll be fine.

Okay, thank you! :smile:
Hi, I was wondering if you had a plan or you could give me any ideas on how to do my report to go with my artefact. Also what do I have to include to achieve an A*? should I just follow the mark scheme closely? My college hasn't really given me much input at all and has left me to do my project.
Original post by jamjamstap
Hi, I was wondering if you had a plan or you could give me any ideas on how to do my report to go with my artefact. Also what do I have to include to achieve an A*? should I just follow the mark scheme closely? My college hasn't really given me much input at all and has left me to do my project.

The mark scheme, obviously, is what you're marked on - so use it closely.

My report was structured like this: Introduction, Analysis (of the sources I used), Inspiration (for my project), Presentation (of my artefact, how I laid it out), Skill Development (the skills I 'learned' during the project), Meeting the Project Aims (which I set out in the Introduction, which is based on the project title), and Conclusion (a summing-up of it all, and an affirmation that I have successfully met my project aims).
I got an A* in EPQ doing an Artefact. If anyone else is doing an artefact project, maybe I can help you by answering any questions you have.

Hi,

I'm currently doing an artefact. I'm composing an indie-folk and pop fusion song for my artefact. I was just wondering if my approach is okay.

I have set out a plan to collect a few online resources, I even have access to the University of Leicester's library but there is not as many resources available as I thought. Nonetheless, I have set up some primary sources for myself to create. I am going to musically analyse 3 songs, an indie-folk song, a pop song and a fusion that is already existing out of tone, texture, rhythm - etc. I am aiming, in my report, to compare and demonstrate how i've developed my piece upon analysing the pieces that are already existing.

Does that sound like it will get a C? I need to pass ROP and i'm freaking out as I want to focus on my A-Levels more, i'm sure you understand.

Thank you
Reply 16
Could use your help as I am starting a EPQ and would like to know how to structure it?

Thanks
Reply 17
How did you structure/what did you include in your 1000 word dissertation???
Hi, I'm looking to make a short film for my EPQ as I would like to study film production at university. However my teacher and I are struggling to come up with a suitable title that fits the specification requirements. Would "How does a poetic relationship translate to screen in a short film to be entered into a festival?" be suitable? Or at least one which is regarded as fine by edexcel? For that title I would take a poem, research context and analysis, research short films which present relationships, then make a short film based on the poem before writing my 1500 word evaluation. Is this okay? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hi my name is Zarrin, I really need help. I have no supervisor who actually understands an Artefact styled EPQ I am the only one doing one and I need help with my essay what is the outline and what do I need include. I am doing an painting. thank you please help me :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending