The Student Room Group

Indian army crosses into Pakistan to attack terrorist targets

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

:|
Original post by Mathemagicien
(and two Pakistani soldiers died in a skirmish with the Indian troops)

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-news-india/india-conducted-surgical-strikes-last-night-in-pok-to-safeguard-our-nation-defence-ministry-3055715/

India conducted surgical strikes last night along the Line of Control (LoC), the Indian Defence Ministry said on Thursday. “Significant casualties have been caused to terrorists and those trying to shield them. We don’t have a plan to further conduct such strikes,” DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh said.

“Based on very specific and credible information we received yesterday, some terrorist teams had positioned themselves at launch pads along the LoC with an aim to carry out infiltration and terrorist strikes in [India],” Singh said. No Indians were casualties.

“We have recovered items including GPS which have Pakistani markings. Captured terrorists hailing from PoK or Pakistan have confessed to their training in Pakistan or in Pakistan controlled region,” Singh said.“I spoke to the Pakistani DGMO, shared our concerns and told him that we conducted surgical strikes last night".

"At least two Army men were killed as Indian and Pakistani troops exchanged fire over the Line of Control. Pakistani troops befittingly responded to Indian unprovoked firing,” the Pakistani government said in a statement.

India had repeatedly warned Pakistan not to allow its territory to be used for terrorist activities, and had called for an international diplomatic boycott of Pakistan as it shielded terrorists on its land. At the United Nations General Assembly, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said Pakistan was a terror state and it need to rein in terror elements.

Three ceasefire violations by Pakistan were reported along the LoC in the last 24 hours. India had also summoned Pakistan high commissioner Abdul Basit, and handed over evidence that proved the terrorists that attacked an army base in Uri and left 19 jawans dead, did come in from across the Line of Control.

WW3?
No it hasn't. I have relatives posted across the Line of Control and we have family friends who live on the border.

There was a long skirmish between Pakistani and Indian troops limited to machine gun fire.

This is smokes and mirror by the Indians to give an impression of their strength and to pacify domestic opinion.

To cover up the genocide they have been committing in Kashmir and the murder and blinding of thousands of protestors there in the past few months,
Doubt it, its more common than you'd imagine for Indian and Pakistani troops to fire on one another.

I'm guessing your relatives are on the Pakistani side of the LoC?

Yeah that's true. I heard that Pakistan already has their army prepared for war.
Original post by Inzamam99
To cover up the genocide they have been committing in Kashmir and the murder and blinding of thousands of protestors there in the past few months,

There is a "genocide" in Kashmir in the same way there is a "genocide" in Palestine. It's a buzzword used by Islamic extremists wherever Islam is not allowed to run rampant. Islam is invariably a turbulent minority, it doesn't seem to be able to get along anywhere in the world with the native population.

The Islamic obsession with feeling like victims is a very regressive mindset that is a huge reason why the Islamic world is today filled with violence, terror and despair
Original post by Oxidation
WW3?

yes that is realistic they will risk there very existence as a state to start a major world war which could change the landscape of the planet forever and possibly lead to an extinction event.

or they will just whine to the UN nothing will happen and everyone will get on with there lives. what do you think is more likely?
I'm of two minds about this (if it is indeed true).

The first is that Pakistan is one of the most dangerous and obnoxious sponsors of terrorism in the world. Their support for murderers like Lashar-e-Taiba, providing them money and arms and training camps to attack the Indians, is absolutely outrageous. India has good cause to be angry.

On the other hand, any incursion (if it did happen) could be a dangerous escalation given both countries possess nuclear weapons and it would be very easy for a situation to escalate. A border flare up turns into a battle between a battalion or two on both sides. The Indians move up several divisions to reinforce the area, the Pakistanis assume this is a prelude to a general attack and send their armoured divisions over the border to pre-empt. Air battles start, and then as Pakistan inevitably starts to lose due to inferiority of numbers, they consider the use of tactical nuclear weapons to make up for their deficiencies.

If they actually did use those tactical nukes, a general nuclear war on the subcontinent would certainly follow.
Original post by Luke7456
yes that is realistic they will risk there very existence as a state to start a major world war which could change the landscape of the planet forever and possibly lead to an extinction event.

or they will just whine to the UN nothing will happen and everyone will get on with there lives. what do you think is more likely?

Yes, I get what you mean. It's just all of a sudden they're acting as if they're both ready to war.
I wish Pakistan stepped up its assault on terrorists. Alas, it does seem the country is harbouring them - the same as most Islamic countries.
India is very aware that Pakistan has nukes. They wouldn't force Pakistan to use nukes, they'd probably just enforce a peace treaty or ceasefire.

This ^
They're not that stupid, a Pakistan beaten in war is better than no Pakistan at all.
According to my cousin( i called him right now when i saw the news) who serves as a captain in the infamous( among terrorists and Pakistani military)Para SF the attacks did happen and around 30-35 terrorists were killed and also 2 Pakistani personnel. Terror camps were 2-3 km within paki occupied territory. 5 terror camps in bhimber lipa khel(all in POK) were targeted and had been under surveillance by the NSA( intelligence) for around 7 days. It was carried out in the morning today (4:00 -5:30). The operation was carried out by a very small number of our commandos and according to him the terror camps were raised to the ground But he did not tell me which group(Marcos/Para SF/Garud commandos/regular forces) carried it out
But I'm guessing its Para as usual.
Proud of them!
I hope India elects Modi as their god emperor and he removes all terrorists
Meh, can't they just use drones?
This was, more than anything, a media exercise. After the terrorist attack in the same region, there must've been a lot of public anger--they're a country with a billion people, after all. And poof--a strike across the border! That does boost the morale of a country, doesn't it? I'm not doubting the credibility of the so-called strike, just sayin'.
Original post by AlexanderHam
There is a "genocide" in Kashmir in the same way there is a "genocide" in Palestine. It's a buzzword used by Islamic extremists wherever Islam is not allowed to run rampant. Islam is invariably a turbulent minority, it doesn't seem to be able to get along anywhere in the world with the native population.

The Islamic obsession with feeling like victims is a very regressive mindset that is a huge reason why the Islamic world is today filled with violence, terror and despair

Spoken like someone who doesn't know much about the conflict.

The struggle of the freedom fighters in Kashmir is based around the national aspirations of the Kashmiri people not religious ones. Yes, Pakistan uses proxies to help them just as India deploys proxies in Balochistan.

The solution is a referendum allowing the Kashmiri people to determine their own future- something India has stood strongly against for the past 60 years.

Read the works of any expert on the matter- oppression naturally drives people into the arms of extremism be they the Sikh extremists who grew from the genocide in Indian Punjab by the army in 1984 or the Baloch extremists in Pakistan.

Try to take a more nuanced view on this rather than scapegoating a single factor for every problem
Doubt it, its more common than you'd imagine for Indian and Pakistani troops to fire on one another.

I'm guessing your relatives are on the Pakistani side of the LoC?

Yes they are.

I get the feeling most people on here have no idea of the complexity or the historical basis for this conflict and as usual came here with their minds already made up based on a couple of articles they googled just before commenting.
What's your opinion about the Indians funding terrorism in Balochistan?

Something many of their federal ministers have happily admitted in the past few months and years?
Original post by Inzamam99
Spoken like someone who doesn't know much about the conflict.

My comment was correct. There is no "genocide" in Kashmir, and the terrorism against Indian security forces is driven by Islamic extremist tendencies. No serious observer of the Kashmiri conflict would dispute that.

There are millions upon millions of Muslims in India. They get along just fine, for the most part. They are not oppressed by dint of being under a non-Islamic government. Why do the Kashmiris so desperately need to be under an Islamic government? It's not like they want to be an independent Kashmiri nation, they want to be under Pakistani rule.

It's quite typical where there are Muslim minorities that their prejudice and bigotry means they feel that "kaffir" are not fit to govern over Muslims, and that Muslims should always be under a government of other Muslims. But somehow, when the opposite is the case (non-Muslims under a Muslim government), the Muslim countries don't feel any need to give them autonomy or independence. If anything, such minorities suffer terribly under the Muslim whip.
India is very aware that Pakistan has nukes. They wouldn't force Pakistan to use nukes, they'd probably just enforce a peace treaty or ceasefire.

Any attempt to militarily "enforce" a situation risks nuclear war. Naturally the Indians wouldn't act in a way that they felt would force Pakistan to use their nuclear weapons, it is the unpredictability of such situations that neither side may have wanted to end up in a nuclear conflict but do so anyway.

A situation like the Kargil War could easily spiral out of control into a nuclear war nowadays. As I said, it's very possible you could have a minor border flare up involving a few companies or a battalion on each side. The Indians move up two or three divisions to reinforce their troops. The Pakistanis interpret that as the Indians moving divisions into a position in preparation to invade Pakistan or enter its territory. The Pakistanis execute their war plans (which involve both defence in depth and lightning attacks by large armour formations to hit the Indians while they are still organising their troops); so Pakistan sends an armoured division into India to hit those divisions while they are still moving in columns toward the border.

India retaliates by sending those divisions into Pakistan to destroy the offending armoured formations. Pakistan inevitably starts to lose control of the situation due to India's numerical advantage, and introduce battlefield nuclear weapons to make devastating tactical strikes against Indian formations. The Indians see mushroom clouds rising over the battlefield and the whole inevitable spiral towards a general nuclear exchange starts.

The point is that you always want to head this situations off at the pass; don't put yourself in a situation where there could be any escalation, on matter how small. India should only react defensively, to destroy any Pakistani troops on its soil.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending