The Student Room Group

Third year student, feeling severly down about university... Please help

I feel my life is a mess. I'm in my third year now and I honestly want to drop out. What's stopping me is that I've come this far. I don't enjoy my course and tbh I never did. I went to university because it's what you did. I didn't enjoy high school but I went to college because it was what everyone did. I didn't enjoy college and I struggled immensely in college. Then I got into university and now I'm here.

People say university is the best time of your life and where you meet your life long friends. For me this has not been the case at all. I moved out and I find people in halls keep themselves to themselves... I talk to everyone and I'm friendly but people just don't seem interested. I joined societies and people there are friendly when you're there but when you leave it's like no one wants to know you.

I'm sick and tired of feeling like my life will improve at every stage I'm at. I got told college would be better - it wasn't. I got told university would be the best time of my life - it wasn't.

I don't know what to do. I just feel so alone and trapped and I'm just scared. I don't know what I'm scared of. I'm just sick and tired of feeling like this.
Original post by >Username<
I feel my life is a mess. I'm in my third year now and I honestly want to drop out. What's stopping me is that I've come this far. I don't enjoy my course and tbh I never did. I went to university because it's what you did. I didn't enjoy high school but I went to college because it was what everyone did. I didn't enjoy college and I struggled immensely in college. Then I got into university and now I'm here.

People say university is the best time of your life and where you meet your life long friends. For me this has not been the case at all. I moved out and I find people in halls keep themselves to themselves... I talk to everyone and I'm friendly but people just don't seem interested. I joined societies and people there are friendly when you're there but when you leave it's like no one wants to know you.

I'm sick and tired of feeling like my life will improve at every stage I'm at. I got told college would be better - it wasn't. I got told university would be the best time of my life - it wasn't.

I don't know what to do. I just feel so alone and trapped and I'm just scared. I don't know what I'm scared of. I'm just sick and tired of feeling like this.

Hello :smile:,

I'm sorry to hear that your experience has been like that.
It isn't nice to know that you've got that far in your experience and you are now where you are now - however it isn't too late.

All I'll say is, you are now in your final and most important year. I'd suggest just getting your head down, focusing on your course and yourself and just taking each day as it comes. Maybe try and join a university society for your final year and see if you'll make friends that way?

Try to see the silver lining in everything!

Best of luck :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Hello :smile:,

I'm sorry to hear that your experience has been like that.
It isn't nice to know that you've got that far in your experience and you are now where you are now - however it isn't too late.

All I'll say is, you are now in your final and most important year. I'd suggest just getting your head down, focusing on your course and yourself and just taking each day as it comes. Maybe try and join a university society for your final year and see if you'll make friends that way?

Try to see the silver lining in everything!

Best of luck :biggrin:

I feel like that's what I always do. I always focus on my work but I'm never happy, I always think whatever I do next will be better - but it never is.

I'm just completely fed up tbh.
Reply 3
It's your final year and anime society can help:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=31
Reply 4

I always thought the same. :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by stefano865
Always thought the same thing. :frown:

at least it can't get any worse?
Reply 6
Original post by Impressive
at least it can't get any worse?

Only way is up. :wink:

Admittedly things aren't SO bad.

Right now I have a comfortable but somewhat empty life. A lot has gone wrong but I try to keep things in perspective.
oh good God. Holy ****.!

See a counsellor as soon as possible. If you can't tell, you have issues, serious issues. ffs seek help!
Reply 8
Original post by stefano865
Only way is up. :wink:

Admittedly things aren't SO bad.

Right now I have a comfortable but somewhat empty life. A lot has gone wrong but I try to keep things in perspective.

Neither I am completely satisfied with my current situation, some things could be changed but I don't put too much thought into these factors and at the end of the day they are ignored
I feel like that's what I always do. I always focus on my work but I'm never happy, I always think whatever I do next will be better - but it never is.

I'm just completely fed up tbh.

Maybe seek the support of your university and see what advice they can offer? That's what they are there for after all!
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Maybe seek the support of your university and see what advice they can offer? That's what they are there for after all!

I just feel they'll give the same generic advice of 'it'll get better' or 'it's only one year left'...

I'm just fed up of my current situation...
I just feel they'll give the same generic advice of 'it'll get better' or 'it's only one year left'...

I'm just fed up of my current situation...

Then drop out. Is that what you're looking for? Is that the answer you're looking for some to give you?
Is this is really the way you feel, then take a year out. Pause, have a year to yourself and to regain your spirits and then return to Third Year when you feel ready.

The university will support you and not just give you generic advice. They'll see you each week, they'll give you goals and stuff to reach and give you motivation to keep going.

If not, you are sounding like you just want to drop out in your last year.
I'm sorry to hear that.

You can transfer your credit with the Open University and study online.You can also study a second degree via the Open University with a subject you enjoy.
I'm a middle aged guy (quit work to go back into studying), so sorry if this comes across as condescending, it's not meant to be. So much great advice above. Many, most? late teens early twenties don't know themselves. They're not proper adults yet. Brain isn't fully developed and mature till mid 25ish. Growing pains. Raging hormones. People make mistakes. Often these are looked back on as gems of learning experience. As many above had said, look you've come this far, just stick it out, get your degree. Dropping out will look seriously bad on a CV.
As for the above comment, "dropping out will look seriously bad on a CV" sounds so sad. I suppose our lives are suppose to be about looking good on a CV? Although, I do think sticking it out and then looking for other things might be good, I don't think you should have to stay just because it might "look bad."

Try to at least just finish the year but looking for something else that you'd like... Anything really. I'm an economics student and I got into coding that I do on my own time which has been a savior! I hate economics but I'll stick it out, work on front end and a bit back end while in school then pick it up for real this summer once I'm done.

If you feel too down, then drop out, people do it all the time. You do need a change of some kind.

Nevertheless, it will be nice to finish. But, life shouldn't be this hard. Your happiness is your responsibility though so if you are not happy you need to figure it out as no one else will do it for you. Don't listen to people who say stuff like "oh you hate your life? Oh well, at least make sure it won't show up on your CV."

Good luck. Remember there are a lot of us that feel the same so try to do the best you can and don't be too hard on yourself!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply