Scroll to see replies

Original post by petrus123
OK, thanks! I'll give it a try.

Awesome, good luck, see what you get and compare it to that of @the bear
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Awesome, good luck, see what you get and compare it to that of @thebear

OK, I'm just slightly confused about why @thebear has his contact force arrow pointing upwards (it says down on the lift), although I did that at first too, so maybe I missed something.
OK, I'm just slightly confused about why @thebear has his contact force arrow pointing upwards (it says down on the lift), although I did that at first too, so maybe I missed something.

Be summoned @the bear
Reply 23
I know this should be ridiculously simple, but I'm not quite sure how to solve it. Could anyone help with the last bit?

the lift is pressing up against the passenger's feet. *
Reply 25
Original post by the bear
the lift is pressing up against the passenger's feet. *

Yes, but how do we know that that force is 294N?
Yes, but how do we know that that force is 294N?

she is not sinking into the floor or lifting up from the floor. with respect to the floor she is in equilibrium. *
Reply 27
she is not sinking into the floor or lifting up from the floor. with respect to the floor she is in equilibrium. *

OK, thanks. But what about the 294N downward contact force? Sorry if I'm missing something.
OK, thanks. But what about the 294N downward contact force? Sorry if I'm missing something.

since she is in equilibrium with respect to the floor the upwards and downwards forces must be equal. *
Reply 29
since she is in equilibrium with respect to the floor the upwards and downwards forces must be equal. *

So you could then use 9.8(40+m)-T-294=3(40+m)?
If so, how do you find T?
Reply 30

Anyone?

if you mean T to be the force in the string then it is not relevant as there are two equal and opposite tensions in the string which cancel out. *
Reply 32
if you mean T to be the force in the string then it is not relevant as there are two equal and opposite tensions in the string which cancel out. *

OK, thanks!
Reply 33

I solved the problem a while ago, but I came back to this because I'm curious as to why the 294N force is only included in the upwards direction in the diagram if it is actually in both directions (so that the girl is in equilibrium relative to the lift floor). Sorry if this is a stupid question and/or obvious.

Quick Reply

Latest