The Student Room Group

The Arsenal Thread XXV

Scroll to see replies

The way Iwobi plays really reminds me of Robben.
Swear to God people only come on here to whinge and to laugh when we lose.

But when we win? Quiet.
Nope, they'll just say they'll be proved right in the end. Only takes one injury for the crumble to begin
Original post by shawn_o1
Nope, they'll just say they'll be proved right in the end. Only takes one injury for the crumble to begin

They don't bother actually supporting the club though. They secretly want us to fail just so they can be proven right.
First half especially was scintillating. Watch us finish top and draw Bayern though lol.
Original post by ClockEnderAFC
First half especially was scintillating. Watch us finish top and draw Bayern though lol.

Yeah, the interplay was fantastic, I am fully gassed over Iwobi.

Annoyed that the fans left early though, again. I was at the game against Chelsea and the same thing happened. It's the problem when you increase stadium capacity size from the Emirates and open the door to middle class families on days out and tourists.
Reply 786
Arsenal play well for 45 mins I wonder how long that is going to last
cant stay up for CL matches this year.. seems like a good reuslt. Especially coupled with city finally not winning a game.*

Makes you so pissed at wenger for the transfer market though. If we were not so un-prepared for the start of the season, would be up there in 2nd, close behind city right now.

Topping the group a real possibility, outscore a weak PSG, and then hold them to a draw at home.. but then we will still probably find a way of ****ing it up *
Original post by fallen_acorns
cant stay up for CL matches this year.. seems like a good reuslt. Especially coupled with city finally not winning a game.*

Makes you so pissed at wenger for the transfer market though. If we were not so un-prepared for the start of the season, would be up there in 2nd, close behind city right now.

Topping the group a real possibility, outscore a weak PSG, and then hold them to a draw at home.. but then we will still probably find a way of ****ing it up *

We were as prepared as we would've have been. None of the new signing would've played the Liverpool game. The season was stupidly started too early by PL.
Bild reporting that Ozil wants to go back to Real Madrid. It's going to be like groundhog day all over again with our team being taken apart by Barca and Real Madrid.
Reply 790
Would lol so much if Sanchez wants to go back to Barca. :sogood:
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Would lol so much if Sanchez wants to go back to Barca. :sogood:

The circle of life.

Basically unless you do a United and offer them 300k a week, it is possible.
Reply 792
Original post by James.Carnell
The circle of life.

Basically unless you do a United and offer them 300k a week, it is possible.

Thing is though that you can get replacements. Isco e.g. and it's not like you don't have the money or the desire to do so if Ozil was to leave.

Plus anyway I don't think Real want him.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thing is though that you can get replacements. Isco e.g.

Ozil is replaceable and to be honest it would not really hurt if he left as we would get a tonne of money (not that we need it) and there are more than able replacements out there.

What would hurt would be if a guy like Iwobi or Wilshere left, local guys from the academy who are Arsenal through and through. Idgaf about Ramsey personally, think it got to his head that he was Barca quality in his rich vein of form a few seasons back and I get the sense that he does not give a damn about Arsenal and would jump at the chance of Real or Barca so that he can be seen like Bale. All he talks about in Arsenal website videos is playing through the middle... i get the sense he wants to play in the middle to be recognised as such in any transfer deal even though Wenger often wants to play him RW as he is not good enough for the middle and his strengths suits the right wing position we have.

Think Bellerin may as well be odds on for a Barca move in the future, but hopefully we sell him when his pace weans off.

TLDR: we're a selling club and so are every club in the league bar Man City when it come to keeping star players from Real and Barca. Fwiw, I think if Hazard became good enough he would go to Real Madrid or Barca , they always get their man. City I think will pull away from the rest of the league in terms of prestige.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 794
Ozil is replaceable and to be honest it would not really hurt if he left as we would get a tonne of money (not that we need it) and there are more than able replacements out there.

What would hurt would be if a guy like Iwobi or Wilshere left, local guys from the academy who are Arsenal through and through. Idgaf about Ramsey personally, think it got to his head that he was Barca quality in his rich vein of form a few seasons back and I get the sense that he does not give a damn about Arsenal and would jump at the chance of Real or Barca so that he can be seen like Bale.

Think Bellerin may as well be odds on for a Barca move in the future, but hopefully we sell him when his pace weans off.

TLDR: we're a selling club and so are every club in the league bar Man City when it come to keeping star players from Real and Barca. Fwiw, I think if Hazard became good enough he would go to Real Madrid or Barca , they always get their man. City I think will pull away from the rest of the league in terms of prestige.

In all honesty every team is a selling club to Madrid or Barcelona. Bayern sold Toni Kroos to them reluctantly. Chelsea are good at selling for a good price to big teams(see Luiz and Mata deals).

I don't think City are that good personally and United will throw as much money as needed to get their players. Fact is they just bought Paul Pogba, the most expensive player in the world and they prevented Real from getting De Gea.

I think if any star Chelsea player was likely to leave in the next year or two it would be Thibaut Courtois. He'll probably end up at Madrid but there are young GKs of his level around (like Oblak or Leno). Worst comes to worst we could just buy Handanovic.
(edited 7 years ago)
In all honesty every team is a selling club to Madrid or Barcelona. Bayern sold Toni Kroos to them reluctantly. Chelsea are good at selling for a good price to big teams(see Luiz and Mata deals).

I don't think City are that good personally and United will throw as much money as needed to get their players. Fact is they just bought Paul Pogba, the most expensive player in the world and they prevented Real from getting De Gea.

I think if any star Chelsea player was likely to leave in the next year or two it would be Thibaut Courtois. He'll probably end up at Madrid but there are young GKs of his level around (like Oblak or Leno). Worst comes to worst we could just buy Handanovic.

If Madrid came in for Courtois and I was a Chelsea fan, I would honestly opt to sell him and then buy Oblak.

City need to replace a few older players in certain positions, but Pep imo will cement a ruthless consistency in the league and then with regards to the CL it still remains to be seen how far they can go over the next few years. I think they will dominate the league over the next few years but taking that extra step or two in the CL will require a bit of luck and a more complete team.

I actually think that United could win the CL again before City do , given that the CL is a cup competition and Mourinho has a better record in it imo than Pep all things considered. That is the funny thing, United may not win the league for years and years from now, but they could win the CL because they could just mentally devote themselves to the CL knowing that they are no match for City's consistency in the league.

So that is what I predict, I predict that Pep's team's results will be reminiscent of the old Man Utd. Hugely consistent in the league but just short in Europe.
Theo has been pulling the rope a dope for a decade, and now he's starting to look like the shaky hand that touched George in Zaire
Reply 797
If Madrid came in for Courtois and I was a Chelsea fan, I would honestly opt to sell him and then buy Oblak.

City need to replace a few older players in certain positions, but Pep imo will cement a ruthless consistency in the league and then with regards to the CL it still remains to be seen how far they can go over the next few years. I think they will dominate the league over the next few years but taking that extra step or two in the CL will require a bit of luck and a more complete team.

I actually think that United could win the CL again before City do , given that the CL is a cup competition and Mourinho has a better record in it imo than Pep all things considered. That is the funny thing, United may not win the league for years and years from now, but they could win the CL because they could just mentally devote themselves to the CL knowing that they are no match for City's consistency in the league.

So that is what I predict, I predict that Pep's team's results will be reminiscent of the old Man Utd. Hugely consistent in the league but just short in Europe.

Pep has a better record than Mourinho although you need account the strength of the teams. The Chelsea side Mourinho had and the Real Madrid side (closest sides he's managed in quality to Peps Barca and Bayern sides) didn't make a single final and Mourinho has also been knocked out in the second round three times while Pep has made a semi final appearance every year he's been in the CL.

That being said the Inter side and the Porto side were very weak sides in the context of europe and he got them to win a treble at each club so go figure.

Also why is it that whenever people question Theo's qualities and whether he should really play for Arsenal he starts producing? He is an enigma. Limited player regardless of his goalscoring attributes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Pep has a better record than Mourinho although you need account the strength of the teams. The Chelsea side Mourinho had and the Real Madrid side (closest sides he's managed in quality to Peps Barca and Bayern sides) didn't make a single final and Mourinho has also been knocked out in the second round three times while Pep has made a semi final appearance every year he's been in the CL.

That being said the Inter side and the Porto side were very weak sides in the context of europe and he got them to win a treble at each club so go figure.

Also why is it that whenever people question Theo's qualities and whether he should really play for Arsenal he starts producing? He is an enigma. Limited player regardless of his goalscoring attributes.

Yeah, that is what I meant regarding Mou and weak teams... he seems to get these weaker sides (which United are) playing excellently in Europe. It makes sense in that it is a cup competition and even the flashiest teams can be outdone with a competent team playing tactically sound football. Which up to recently, Mourinho has been adept at. I will not count the Inter and Porto sides winning the league in their respective countries as much of an achievement as the competition wasn't really good.

Theo is the ultmate streak player. And it is just an unfortunate coincidence that his streaks come when we are on the verge of dropping him or when he wants a new contract. I mean in interviews the guy is just pretty obviously implying that he didn't have his screwed on last season...
How can a player being paid 140k a week (even though money isn't even the main factor in this) at a high end club playing in prestigious games and competitions (this is the crucial part) not have his head screwed on and want to win every single game? His heart wasn't in it...
Reply 799
"Everyone else left Tony to get on with it as long as he was playing.....Wenger came in....SAVED HIS LIFE"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37507364

Damn, so much onions are going to be sliced tonight. The man is bigger than football. We'd be Villa without him. England can **** off.

Quick Reply

Latest