The Student Room Group

why do people simply not care when it comes to clivilians getting killed in Syria?

seriously i look at the news and it just depresses me and upsets me. Syria has been bombed now for the past couple of years and all we see is civilian deaths one after another and once in a blue moon we hear that an ISIS member has been killed.

is it really worth it i mean why are the russians so dumb bombing the few hospitals that are left (are they really that backwards at dropping missiles) and bombing houses leaving people with no food and water. it just makes me so angry seeing little children left without families and becoming orphans.

as a society we arnt doing much to help, we are closing our doors to them and saying they dont belong with us. we just close our eyes and just carry on with out individualist lives when these are out brothers and sisters

just look at these videos, do these people really deserve this? they might be a bit graphic

Spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrJ1Ac66Ru8

statistics: total death count in Syria:
450,000 - Children: 50,000 thats like the whole of Liverpool being wiped out

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mkap
do these people really deserve this?

Let's look at this narrow point.

These people were either active in creating or acquiesced in creating a country that rejected democracy and good sense. As in many Moslem-dominated countries, democracy is anathema to them. They choose either undemocratic nationalist governments or Islamist theocracies, neither of which is conducive to peace and a thriving economy.

Even the various forces of the Syrian revolution largely seek repressive nationalist or Islamist governments rather than a modern democracy.

So, do the people of Syria deserve the inevitable consequence of extreme nationalism? You tell me.

we are closing our doors to them and saying they don't belong with us

Well, after seeing the mess they have made of their own country, why would we want to import large numbers of such people into Europe, which has been peaceful, stable, enlightened and thriving economically for a very long time now.

Not only do they bring alien ideas of government with them but they bring an alien culture still grounded in mediaeval superstition where religious observance is allowed to dominate life and to stifle the economy and well-being of the people.

I strongly sympathise with them on a personal level but the safety and stability of our own country is too important to risk by allowing the mass migration of such people.
Reply 2
Original post by mkap
seriously i look at the news and it just depresses me and upsets me. Syria has been bombed now for the past couple of years and all we see is civilian deaths one after another and once in a blue moon we hear that an ISIS member has been killed.

is it really worth it i mean why are the russians so dumb bombing the few hospitals that are left (are they really that backwards at dropping missiles) and bombing houses leaving people with no food and water. it just makes me so angry seeing little children left without families and becoming orphans.

as a society we arnt doing much to help, we are closing our doors to them and saying they dont belong with us. we just close our eyes and just carry on with out individualist lives when these are out brothers and sisters

just look at these videos, do these people really deserve this? they might be a bit graphic

Spoiler

Because it's far away from here so most people find it difficult to sympathize with them/or to relate to them. It's different with European countries or more developed countries in general because they are 'more like us'
Reply 3
Original post by Good bloke
As in many Moslem-dominated countries...

*Muslim

i undertand what you are saying but how are these people extemists? bc of the way they dress. civilians who come to the UK as refugees dont just go all extreme, they understand the laws of the countires.

anyway this is human life we are talking about. we shoudlnt just leave people suffering like that bc of their beliefs
People do care, but it's very hard to do anything about it, because military intervention would just be Irak all over again (probably worse), and humanitarian aid is very hard to get in because of the siege tactics employed. Diplomacy is also nearly impossible because the various sides are so far apart in their terms for peace.
Why should we?
Original post by mkap
*Muslim

i undertand what you are saying but how are these people extemists? bc of the way they dress. civilians who come to the UK as refugees dont just go all extreme, they understand the laws of the countires.

anyway this is human life we are talking about. we shoudlnt just leave people suffering like that bc of their beliefs

Compassion fatigue really plus they are more bothered about concerns over terrorism and immigration.

No obvious solution for the west as they dont want Assad and he is the one inflicting the most civilian casualties, barrel bombs etc. The west cant control Russia bombing whoever it likes.

Russia doesnt care and the west dont want to get dragged into another conflict more than they already are, so the stalemate or slow death will continue.

These people were either active in creating or acquiesced in creating a country that rejected democracy and good sense.
So, do the people of Syria deserve the inevitable consequence of extreme nationalism? You tell me.

They weren't politically active, therefore they deserve to die. - Right wing logic

You can't make that case on ANY level for the children.
Original post by mkap
*Muslim

No. Moslem. My spelling was around in English (which is the language we are using here) long before yours was. Would you prefer me to use Mussulman or Mohammedan?

how are these people extemists?

I didn't say they are. I said that their governments are. However, they collectively consider democracy, the very bedrock of European civilisation in the 21st century, to be anathema to them and so produce extreme (to us) nationalist and Islamist governments.

In fact, they use democracy, when they have it, to elect Islamists or nationalist factions and thus dispose of democracy. This often leads (pace Egypt when the Islamists were elected) to a coup or other undemocratic intervention to replace one extreme government with another - though both are undemocratic and autocratic.

If they use democracy in that way it would be dangerous to allow them into a democratic Europe while they have these characteristics.
Why do British Muslims only care about the deaths of Sunnis? We've taken in tens of thousands of refugees.
Original post by MathMoFarah
They weren't politically active, therefore they deserve to die. - Right wing logic

You can't make that case on ANY level for the children.

I didn't say they deserve to die. I said they are suffering the inevitable consequences of the form of government they themselves have chosen. The parents made their decisions, presumably, in the knowledge that the consequences would be visited on their children.
Reply 11
Because it's not them getting killed
Reply 12
Original post by mkap

Spoiler

completely agreed, the situation is disgusting in Syria
Reply 13
Let's look at this narrow point.

These people were either active in creating or acquiesced in creating a country that rejected democracy and good sense. As in many Moslem-dominated countries, democracy is anathema to them. They choose either undemocratic nationalist governments or Islamist theocracies, neither of which is conducive to peace and a thriving economy.

Even the various forces of the Syrian revolution largely seek repressive nationalist or Islamist governments rather than a modern democracy.

Well, after seeing the mess they have made of their own country, why would we want to import large numbers of such people into Europe, which has been peaceful, stable, enlightened and thriving economically for a very long time now.

Not only do they bring alien ideas of government with them but they bring an alien culture still grounded in mediaeval superstition where religious observance is allowed to dominate life and to stifle the economy and well-being of the people.

I strongly sympathise with them on a personal level but the safety and stability of our own country is too important to risk by allowing the mass migration of such people.

Really? You think that these young children dying personally rejected democracy? For Christ's sake, they had no choice whatsoever where they were born - many of the adults didn't either. Stop trying to justify this disgusting horror. This has nothing to do with "Moslems", its a brutal regime which has been challenged by a small number of people, I doubt every single innocent person dying in Aleppo or other places personally had the choice whether or not to move. Your opinion is quite frankly disgusting.
Original post by Eulers_
they had no choice whatsoever where they were born - many of the adults didn't either

I think you'll find that none of the adults had any choice about where they were born.

But the point is that they do have a choice about other things, and I have pointed out that those choices have inevitably led to the consequences we see now.
One word: collateral. That snd it being thousands of miles away

As for the casualty figures, would be interested to see where the child figure comes from, but people do kinda die in war. A third of those fatalities are regime troops and militia, over a quarter rebels, getting on for 5%ISIS fighters. 2 Strike Force members
It's erroneous and, frankly, ignorant to suggest that noone cares.

They do care. They are just conflicted on the best way to counter the problem.

A multitude of extremely intelligent people - who know far more about the situation than any of us do - still haven't found a solution. What makes you think you magically can?
Reply 17
I think you'll find that none of the adults had any choice about where they were born. But the point is that they do have a choice about other things, and I have pointed out that those choices have inevitably led to the consequences we see now.
Come on, moving country isn't like picking daisies. These people can't just move themselves and their families. Not to mention the fact that the vast majority of these people have lived under Islam or non-democratic regimes their entire lives, they probably have no clue what its like in the west. So there is no 'choice' to move. All that happened was there were rebellions in various ME/NA countries, and a group of militants in Syria thought it would be a good idea to copy them - but they underestimated it, and now Assad has done terrible things to his own people, and so have the rebels, we have ISIS on one side, and the west / Russia dropping bombs everywhere. Innocent people are caught up in this and they are dying by the thousand. People whinge and cry about 30 westerners dying in a terrorist attack, well these people live in that sort of fear every single day of their lives - and its because of powers like Russia. They need to be knocked off their high horse, they turned Ukraine upside down, shot down a passenger plane, and are doing far worse, but virtually unheard of (on the media), things.

The situation is disgusting, but what makes it even more disgusting is people like you assigning the blame on the innocent people for choices which were evidently out of their control.
I didn't say they deserve to die. I said they are suffering the inevitable consequences of the form of government they themselves have chosen.

aka death
Reply 19
I know it is terrible. Unfortunately, Some people do not care or find it hard to sympathise because it does not affect them and they are far away. Fortunately, some do care despite the distance. They are doing their best to help although not much can be done because the people in power are actually making things worse by delivering weapons which can get into the wrong hands as there are so many groups now. Also dropping bombs without caring too much as it is not their country after all. Most just involved imo to show their power or for their own interest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending