The Student Room Group

No A levels and wanting to change career from accountancy to engineering?

Hi, I'm currently working in accounting and am studying AAT and should be qualified by the middle of next year.

Since Im not a graduate or anything, and I'll be 20 next year; would it be difficult for me to switch to an engineering role?
And is there any courses or specific ways for me to get into such a role? UK

I've always been good at maths and have a BTEC level 2 in Engineering D*. Civil or any other type of engineering would be great I'm not specifically biased to any one. Accounting has always been my back up so I would like to keep it as such.
Original post by Fifth1
Hi, I'm currently working in accounting and am studying AAT and should be qualified by the middle of next year.

Since Im not a graduate or anything, and I'll be 20 next year; would it be difficult for me to switch to an engineering role?
And is there any courses or specific ways for me to get into such a role? UK

I've always been good at maths and have a BTEC level 2 in Engineering D*. Civil or any other type of engineering would be great I'm not specifically biased to any one. Accounting has always been my back up so I would like to keep it as such.

Have you looked into foundation years?
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
Have you looked into foundation years?

I haven't thought of it? I know most require A levels which I haven't got.
Original post by Fifth1

What sort of engineer and at what level? You should look on the relevant professions website.
NVM.
(edited 7 years ago)
I want a career change from accountancy too! What's your reasons for wanting to leave? :frown:
Original post by Fifth1

You could take A-levels... or maybe do an access course?
Could look at apprenticeships. Engineering especially is getting to a point where you can step on,step off apprenticeship levels and use it to get relevant degrees. Start at advanced level, which will give you the qualifications to get onto the next level, and progress from there.
Reply 7
Original post by Philip-flop
I want a career change from accountancy too! What's your reasons for wanting to leave? :frown:

A lot of it is becoming computer based! Clients can just scan in invoices rather than having an accountant, I work in auditing so all I really have to do is check a computer system rather than of the entries are legitimate; it also doesn't seem like I can go far, get a decent pay and still work normal hours - a lot of my seniors are working a lot of unpaid overtime and not getting enough to stay and live in London still?
Reply 8
Original post by Donkey******
Could look at apprenticeships. Engineering especially is getting to a point where you can step on,step off apprenticeship levels and use it to get relevant degrees. Start at advanced level, which will give you the qualifications to get onto the next level, and progress from there.

Starting with an apprenticeship seems to be the best choice, I want quite sure where to start looking - I guess advanced courses are where I should be looking; I'm slightly worried that going on an apprenticeship will mean bad pay in comparison to sticking to accountancy
Original post by Fifth1
A lot of it is becoming computer based! Clients can just scan in invoices rather than having an accountant, I work in auditing so all I really have to do is check a computer system rather than of the entries are legitimate; it also doesn't seem like I can go far, get a decent pay and still work normal hours - a lot of my seniors are working a lot of unpaid overtime and not getting enough to stay and live in London still?

Yeah I do worry about careers in Accountancy with the way technology is advancing these days!! :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by Fifth1
Starting with an apprenticeship seems to be the best choice, I want quite sure where to start looking - I guess advanced courses are where I should be looking; I'm slightly worried that going on an apprenticeship will mean bad pay in comparison to sticking to accountancy

I know someone who has just started this (I think its this, but I'm not 100% sure).

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/504646/2016Appwebsiterecruit2016.pdf

Apparently its a whole mixture of different ages on the course - I think he said between 16 years old to 40 or something like that.*

The pay isn't great, but thats how it goes for apprenticeships. The alternative is university, which is going to take you at least 3 years, plus perhaps a foundation course, and I think a lot of people take masters courses with engineering, so perhaps 5 years in total. That will cost a lot of money.*
Reply 11
Wow Josh this is really useful thanks! It's not near me but I'm sure if I look for this sort of thing near me it'll be easier since now i know what I'm looking for!
Really don't want to go uni because I think it's a waste of time for me now - the salary shown is only a little less than what I'm currently on so it seems bests for me!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending