The Student Room Group
Drawing Tresco, Falmouth University
Falmouth University
Falmouth

Need urgent student accommodation help/advice!!!

I witthdrew from my uni course today at Falmouth university and initially i had planned to withdraw later so i had booked flights back to ireland for the 23rd of october. However, I discovered that if I withdrew before the end of the first 3 weeks then I would not have to pay anything towards tution fees. The uni are now telling me that I have two weeks to leave the accommodation and obviously this leaves me stranded for 10 days with no where to stay in a country I'm not from, whilst loaded down with luggage. My boyfriend was meant to be flying in on the 21st to help me ttake my stuff back so it's not just a simple case of changing my flight. Its £35 per flight change plus the difference between the original flight and the flights. Also doesn't help the fact that my boyfriend is in a job where it's really difficult to get time off and he had already worked it out to get that time off.I feel like the university is being completely inconsiderate and has not offered to help in away except to suggest a youth hostel miles away from me. Someone please help Ijust don't know what to do!!
Can't you just pay the £35 flight difference? I know its a bit rubbish but paying for a hostel for 10 days is going to cost you way more than that, or else could you put your stuff into storage and have a week visiting friends at other unis?

Sorry to hear you're withdrawing from your course though!
Drawing Tresco, Falmouth University
Falmouth University
Falmouth
It's £35 per flight and then you have to pay the difference between the original flight cost and the new flights, and it's working out to be around £180 to change me and my boyfriend's flights
Original post by chloeohare98
I witthdrew from my uni course today at Falmouth university and initially i had planned to withdraw later so i had booked flights back to ireland for the 23rd of october. However, I discovered that if I withdrew before the end of the first 3 weeks then I would not have to pay anything towards tution fees. The uni are now telling me that I have two weeks to leave the accommodation and obviously this leaves me stranded for 10 days with no where to stay in a country I'm not from, whilst loaded down with luggage. My boyfriend was meant to be flying in on the 21st to help me ttake my stuff back so it's not just a simple case of changing my flight. Its £35 per flight change plus the difference between the original flight and the flights. Also doesn't help the fact that my boyfriend is in a job where it's really difficult to get time off and he had already worked it out to get that time off.I feel like the university is being completely inconsiderate and has not offered to help in away except to suggest a youth hostel miles away from me. Someone please help Ijust don't know what to do!!

I kind of cant see the problem. They have given you two weeks notice. They need to try and let the room or they will lose thousands.

By leaving this side of the deadline you are saving yourself £2250 for this term alone. Its a smart move and will preserve your SFE finance.

You are going to have to find a B&B/ hotel or someone on airbnb or a spare room to rent for ten days. Weigh that up v the cost of changing the tickets.
Oh and try talking to the person in charge of the place you are staying and see if you cna get sympathy from them or alternatively accommodation to see if you cna stay a bit longer.
Original post by 999tigger
I kind of cant see the problem. They have given you two weeks notice. They need to try and let the room or they will lose thousands.

By leaving this side of the deadline you are saving yourself £2250 for this term alone. Its a smart move and will preserve your SFE finance.

You are going to have to find a B&B/ hotel or someone on airbnb or a spare room to rent for ten days. Weigh that up v the cost of changing the tickets.

Even with airbnb costs still come up at around £500 for 10 days. I'm moreso annoyed as im willing to pay all of october's rent so i can stay those extra days
Original post by chloeohare98
Even with airbnb costs still come up at around £500 for 10 days. I'm moreso annoyed as im willing to pay all of october's rent so i can stay those extra days

You arent there concern any more and they need to let the room to someone who will stay all year. If airbnb is too expensive try spareroom or it makes changing your flight tickets seem the most economical choice. Is it impossible to get your stuff to the airport alone? Maybe you should ditch some of it or sell it?

Btw id be surpised if a B& B or youth hostel is anywhere near £500.

Also look at the terms of your rental agreement and see what it says about termination. If you dont know what to look for then talk to an advisor at the SU.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest