The Student Room Group

Medical EPQ topic?

HI, i am considering doing epq and since i want to do medicine at uni, I was thinking of a medical related topic to do.

So far I have come up with the ethical issues of gene therapy. Does this seem like a good idea?

Scroll to see replies

I'm stuck on EPQ ideas too, and I think that's such a great idea, considering it being such a widely used technology

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh guys do you think we can use this chat for helping each other whilst doing epq? Since we are all doing medical related EPQ?
I'm looking at doing a medically based EPQ as well. I'm applying for medicine at uni this year and I'm hoping that it will prove useful at interview. Gene therapy seems like a good area but I know it is quite a common topic so if you were looking for something more unique maybe steer clear. However with it being common there's loads of resources available which I'm sure will prove useful later down the line.

I'm currently stuck with choosing between a more ethically based or more scientific EPQ. I was thinking about focusing more on ethics to balance out the science-based subjects I study at a level already.

I did a lot of work experience on a neonatal ward in a hospital so I was hoping to relate my EPQ to this area if possible. I was thinking something about the long-term effects of mechanical ventilation or if I went down a more ethical route to explore the idea of resuscitation/prolonging neonatal care around the 'borderline of viability'.

Anyone got any ideas around aspects of neonatal medicine that may prove interesting in an EPQ?
Does anyone know if it is possible to do an epq on gene therapy because there is one line on the aqa biology specification about gene therapy so I don't know if that will count as dual accreditation.

the line in the specification says 'relate recombinant DNA technology to gene therapy.'

Thanks!!:biggrin:
Original post by elish2chambers
I'm looking at doing a medically based EPQ as well. I'm applying for medicine at uni this year and I'm hoping that it will prove useful at interview. Gene therapy seems like a good area but I know it is quite a common topic so if you were looking for something more unique maybe steer clear. However with it being common there's loads of resources available which I'm sure will prove useful later down the line.

I'm currently stuck with choosing between a more ethically based or more scientific EPQ. I was thinking about focusing more on ethics to balance out the science-based subjects I study at a level already.

I did a lot of work experience on a neonatal ward in a hospital so I was hoping to relate my EPQ to this area if possible. I was thinking something about the long-term effects of mechanical ventilation or if I went down a more ethical route to explore the idea of resuscitation/prolonging neonatal care around the 'borderline of viability'.

Anyone got any ideas around aspects of neonatal medicine that may prove interesting in an EPQ?

What about something like how the neonatal care, eg ventilators, antibiotics etc may affect their future health?? I can't word it very well :///
Hi guys:smile: I want to do medical related EPQ too:h:
Original post by jayeshforce1
Ahh guys do you think we can use this chat for helping each other whilst doing epq? Since we are all doing medical related EPQ?

Yeah great idea :smile:
Original post by pandasandpens
HI, i am considering doing epq and since i want to do medicine at uni, I was thinking of a medical related topic to do.

So far I have come up with the ethical issues of gene therapy. Does this seem like a good idea?

I'm also applying for medicine for 2017 entry, pretty much every uni I've been to/ spoken with doesn't even recognise the epq. As soon as I found that out I dropped. This may be different for you depending on which uni's you're applying to so I recommend finding out first and if none of them recognise the epq I would concentrate on getting relevant work experience/ voluntary work.
Original post by Dillandhanak
I'm also applying for medicine for 2017 entry, pretty much every uni I've been to/ spoken with doesn't even recognise the epq. As soon as I found that out I dropped. This may be different for you depending on which uni's you're applying to so I recommend finding out first and if none of them recognise the epq I would concentrate on getting relevant work experience/ voluntary work.

I totally agree, until yesterday I was pretty set on doing epq but after researching it some more I don't see the point. I think I can spend my time elsewhere and it be more useful to my application process.

Good luck to anyone still doing the epq though!
Yeah great idea

What topic did you end up settling for then?
Yeah great idea :smile:

do you want to make a new thread or use this one?
do you want to make a new thread or use this one?

I decided to go with gene therapy in the end haha. We can use this thread, it's easier :biggrin:
I decided to go with gene therapy in the end haha. We can use this thread, it's easier :biggrin:

And i went down the psychiatry path - doing depression. Do you know how big the essay needs to be? My supervisor is on leave so he left us with this new teacher who doesn't know much. Also have you started writing? I done a few paragraphs.
Reply 14
I am doing mine on history of medicine
I'm doing mine on the new junior doctor's contract. It will help me at interview too incase im asked about junior doctors and how their career will change if this contract is implemented
Hi,

I've already started mine but here were my first few ideas:

1) If Euthanasia should be legalised (I chose this one)
2) Public vs Private NHS
3) The impact of Brexit on the NHS
4) The impact of immigration on the NHS (teacher suggested this one)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kantth1
I'm doing mine on the new junior doctor's contract. It will help me at interview too incase im asked about junior doctors and how their career will change if this contract is implemented

That was good thinking haha. What unis have you applied to?
And i went down the psychiatry path - doing depression. Do you know how big the essay needs to be? My supervisor is on leave so he left us with this new teacher who doesn't know much. Also have you started writing? I done a few paragraphs.

Nowhere near writing yet. We're still learning about research and planning haha.
That was good thinking haha. What unis have you applied to?

Thanks 😉. Ive chosen
Leicester
Manchester
Liverpool
HYMS
wbu?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending