The Student Room Group

Trying to get A*A*A*A*A* at A-level

Scroll to see replies

DAY 10
Pretty certain I have officially broken every single backpack I have taken to college xD... In my AS year I would carry all of my stuff because I would study different subjects in my frees. This year I'm a bit more organised and plus I don't have as many frees so I just work at home :smile:
Also its very difficult to work at home especially in my neigbourhood as theres a lot of noise and just a lot of drama happening all the time...
I also have other responsibilities such as taking care of my mother when my sister is away so this means I don't get as much time to revise.
Further Maths
Today (4 hours) is dedicated to revising all the chapters of FP1, S2 and M2 that we have covered so far. I'm working through the exam solutions for each chapter and I'm doing Exam Questions on each Chapter. So for those who are wondering:
FP1: Complex Numbers (completed), Numerical Solutions of equations, Co-ordinate Systems(completed), (not yet covered Matrices)
M2: Kinematics of a particle moving in a straight line or a plane, Centres of Mass (not yet covered Work,Energy and Power)
S2: Binomial Distribution (completed), (not yet covered Poisson Distribution)

This is simply to ensure I am constantly refreshing the stuff I've learnt in my mind. I have half-terms tests fast-approaching and I don't intend to fail them!
Physics
Yesterday I completed my notes on Simple Harmonic Motion and unfortunately we have progressed at all in my Physics lessons whereas other classes have completed Further Mechanics and are starting Thermal Physics. (so not fair but heyo)
Computer Science
Im not going to lie to you... I struggle with Computer Science...It's just a lot of typing. I have to create two diagrams for my analysis and complete a table but my personal deadline is tomorrow, so I'll probably hand that in on the weekend. I haven't even begun to think about how I'm actually going to code my damn project especially with the complexity I gave it....
Maybe I've finally dug myself a hole too deep lol. But I'll give it a shot soon!
EPQ
This reminds me, I need to email my teacher my project proposal. And that'll be that deadline met and I can await further instructions (or prepare for the MAT even)
MAT
This weekend will be dedicated to sussing out Number Theory. I also intend to start sitting UKMT Maths challenges and STEP papers to prepare for the exam hopefully. I'm first going to get through the MAT papers (I've only completed 2 albeit not very well)
UCAS
Not much to update, my teacher is sorting out my references.

Thanks for reading and for all the support! Sorry if I haven't replied to you yet, I'll definitely get round to it!

UPDATE: I've just completed my notes for all my maths topics and I have done questions and I am confident with all of the chapters covered in FP1. M2 and S2 I still want to practice more questions on! But this places me in better stead for tests this October :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Someboady

You don't do all the textbook questions for your maths modules? Just exam questions??

You could literally finish a module every week, what's taking you so long??
Original post by Naruke
You don't do all the textbook questions for your maths modules? Just exam questions??

I complete the textbook questions in class and then I find exam questions are best for revising from at home.

A chapter per week is usually how it should work (its how I did it last year) but this year is a bit different because one of my teachers is exceptionally slow with Further Maths. If I was self-teaching all of Further Maths I would definitely be working a lot faster than I am now, but I'm kind of working along with the class instead of working ahead. I guess you're right though, I should be working ahead.
I guess the workload for the other subjects is somewhat weighing me down. But definitely I'll take what you've said as advice and I'll be working a bit faster ensuring I cover chapters before we do them in class. It'll speed up the learning process!

EDIT: I've planned to complete M2 and FP1 by mid-October (tackling a chapter each week) and S2 by November (we started this late)! Thanks for your advice bro!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Naruke

When you say finish a module every week I'm assuming you mean like (M1, S1 etc.) so if you could do one every week and there is only like 6 (maths and fm) can't you just go over everything in 6 weeks? Then keep on repeating that every 6 weeks, is that what people do, or does it take most people longer? I plan on doing this, if i work fast enough.
Hi,

I'm creating this thread as a way to track my progress throughout the year and motivate myself to study. In my AS year I took AS-Maths, A-level Maths, AS Physics and AS Computer Science. I got 4A's. It might sound great but I missed the A* in Maths by 2 marks in my Core 4 paper. I got 100% in Core 1, Core 2 and Core 3 but my Core 4 dropped to just under 80%. This annoyed me a lot because I know I was ready for Core 4 and I know that I should've done miles better. It annoyed me because now I have to retake that module this year despite knowing it last year...it was just a bad day for me I reckon. My predicted grades are currently 3A*s (Maths, Physics, Computer Science) however my Further Maths looks to be an A, however I will try to get this bumped to an A* (I mean, I did really well in terms of UMS discounting Core 4). I am also taking the EPQ this year on Computer Science and I hope to be predicted an A*.

So my teachers believe me to be capable of achieving A*'s due to high A-grades last year however I must admit I think I won't manage it. I just feel like the margins for error are too high and I'll slip up like I did in my AS-year. I intend to try my hardest though and I hope this thread motivates others too.
I am applying to study Computer Science at Oxford, Imperial, Bristol, Warwick and Durham/Sheffield. My internal deadline for UCAS is next week. I also have to take the MAT in around a months time. Thus a lot of preparation is required. The work load is huge at the moment but I'm just about managing.

I will be working my socks off this year and I will begin my first post on Monday which will be my second full week at college. My first week was just appalling.
For Further Maths I will be studying the Edexcel syllabus (FP1,FP2,FP3,M2,S2,D1) and I hope to have FP1,M2,S2 finished by December.
For Physics I'm studying the AQA Syllabus and doing AstroPhysics for my option despite having chosen Turning points... my college sucks so bad.
For Computer Science I am doing the OCR exam board and I will be working on my coursework for the most part, I'm aiming to have that complete by December also. This will give me time to prepare for the exam.
Core 4, I will prepare for starting from January. There is no way I miss the A* in Maths next year. It scares me to think I might miss it again if I flop this exam.
My EPQ will be alongside my studies, I will sacrifice whatever time I have to it.
I am also a disadvantaged student in the sense that I attend a college that is underperforming and I am part of various schemes that allow me to apply to University. People from my area don't usually go to University and I will be the first in my family to attend University hopefully. Also I always thought Oxford/Cambridge were only for rich kids who could afford it lol..Glad they put that misconception away.
I am more than willing to pull my weight this year to achieve these grades. Oxford and Imperial are just hopes, I at least want to get offers from Bristol and Warwick and Sheffield/Durham.
If you have any advice about anything whether it be Universities, or how to succeed or A-levels I would be more than happy to receive it!
With that being said, I think this will be the opener to my thread.

Thanks for reading,
Someboady

EDIT: I am predicted 5A*s now. The support on this thread has been phenomenal and thank you everyone for your encouraging words, hopefully I'll meet everyone's expectations.

I wish you the best of luck. I'm sure you can do it. I was wondering if you have any general tips in doing so well and do you have any specific tips for maths because I am retaking next year.
Could you also include exam tips e.g what to do on exam day and how to deal with pressure etc. Thanks.
gl
Day 11
30/09/16... One month left till the MAT exam. Time to actually focus on MAT
Further Maths
Apparently we haven't got tests till Christmas time... which is annoying because I can't consolidate my learning. I'm finishing off M2 and FP1 before half term. Consider that I'll finish two modules within half a term, how long will it take me to complete the other 4? However what's really bringing me down is that you need 90% across FP2,FP3 and M2/S2 to get an A* in Further Maths... which is VERY worrying... I hope I don't miss it. Still not confident with Centres of Mass and Binomial Distribution so I'll be working on that
Physics
Not covered anything new but I've completed notes on two sections of Further Mechanics
Computer Science
I know I was worried I was going to miss my deadline but I knuckled down in my Computer Science class and completed the analysis. I'm just submitting it right now! Met the deadline well in advance, giving me some breathing space.
EPQ
I handed in my Project Proposal and my EPQ teacher said it was amazing and probably one of the best they'd read. I don't know how much of an exaggeration that is but heyo ill take the compliment.
This means I've met the deadline well in advance, giving me some breathing space.
MAT
Working on it.. working on it...
UCAS
Nothing to report!
Update to my MAT progression...
So I tried MAT 2009, question 1.... yeah... no.. did not go well
I got for that question...20/40... and it took me 45 minutes. I am aiming for 40 marks and trying to get it done within an hour... so yeah not looking too good...
Yeah..pathetic I know xD...
So here's the issues (please download MAT 2009 to know what I'm talking about)

Question 1C:
I wasted way too much time on... I did not think to square root both sides of the equation.... I know... its a dead giveaway. Instead I expanded out the brackets and tried to take the discriminant of that but that clearly wouldn't work because I'd be left with more squares... Either way I tried to take multiple discriminants... and this ultimately failed and I was left with the solution c >= -1/2 or c>= 1/2 (this was not an answer xD).

Question 1D:
This was tough. Firstly I didn't read the question properly and didn't realise that n was part of the series... yeah very silly. I did, however get half-way through the solution before I got lost. i.e. i found the running totals

Question 1F:
This question was just not obvious... they wanted you to differentiate and find the turning points apparently... I didn't even bother with this question as I had no idea where to start...

Question 1H:
Pretty much didn't attempt this question as I've seen it before and I know that I wouldn't be able to get the answer even if I could remember the solution xD

Question 1J:
Again I didn't even attempt this question....

What's alarming is the number of questions about finding solutions in this particular paper...
I have a lot of work to do... there is no way I can lose this many marks in the real MAT paper... plus its just the first question goddamn it...
Original post by greginho

What the person who set up this thread is trying to achieve (straight A*'s at A-Level).
Update to my MAT progression...
So I tried MAT 2009, question 1.... yeah... no.. did not go well
I got for that question...20/40... and it took me 45 minutes. I am aiming for 40 marks and trying to get it done within an hour... so yeah not looking too good...
Yeah..pathetic I know xD...
So here's the issues (please download MAT 2009 to know what I'm talking about)

Question 1C:
I wasted way too much time on... I did not think to square root both sides of the equation.... I know... its a dead giveaway. Instead I expanded out the brackets and tried to take the discriminant of that but that clearly wouldn't work because I'd be left with more squares... Either way I tried to take multiple discriminants... and this ultimately failed and I was left with the solution c >= -1/2 or c>= 1/2 (this was not an answer xD).

Question 1D:
This was tough. Firstly I didn't read the question properly and didn't realise that n was part of the series... yeah very silly. I did, however get half-way through the solution before I got lost. i.e. i found the running totals

Question 1F:
This question was just not obvious... they wanted you to differentiate and find the turning points apparently... I didn't even bother with this question as I had no idea where to start...

Question 1H:
Pretty much didn't attempt this question as I've seen it before and I know that I wouldn't be able to get the answer even if I could remember the solution xD

Question 1J:
Again I didn't even attempt this question....

What's alarming is the number of questions about finding solutions in this particular paper...
I have a lot of work to do... there is no way I can lose this many marks in the real MAT paper... plus its just the first question goddamn it...

Lol MAT is not meant to be for everyone. Relax and be patient, once you learn more modules you'll become better at it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck with your a levels! Hey I was wondering do you know how I can start my own blog?
Original post by Chittesh14
Lol MAT is not meant to be for everyone. Relax and be patient, once you learn more modules you'll become better at it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough tbh! Yeah I'm going to keep practicing really, nothing to it!
What do you mean by once you learn more modules?
Fair enough tbh! Yeah I'm going to keep practicing really, nothing to it!
What do you mean by once you learn more modules?

Are you going to take the MAT exam this November?
Sorry, I haven't actually read MAT - syllabus. I've just realised you only need to know C1 and C2 lol weird test. Quite shocking because if that's the only test required at Oxford, that must be so easy compared to STEP.
Good luck for the test, I'd rather you get 3 A*s and a good score in MAT than getting 5 A*s and a bad score in MAT? :redface:.
Just my opinion! :biggrin: - it is right though.

But, I'm sure that you can shock me and get 5 A*s and a good score in MAT lol (rare but motivate yourself to do it)
Good luck!:smile:
Are you going to take the MAT exam this November?
Sorry, I haven't actually read MAT - syllabus. I've just realised you only need to know C1 and C2 lol weird test. Quite shocking because if that's the only test required at Oxford, that must be so easy compared to STEP.
Good luck for the test, I'd rather you get 3 A*s and a good score in MAT than getting 5 A*s and a bad score in MAT? :redface:.
Just my opinion! :biggrin: - it is right though.

But, I'm sure that you can shock me and get 5 A*s and a good score in MAT lol (rare but motivate yourself to do it)

Yes it only requires knowledge from C1/C2 but it requires knowledge to be applied in different ways that just aren't very obvious! Yeah it's a lot easier than STEP but I'll be taking STEP too in June
You're right but I really haven't put much effort into my A-levels just yet, MAT is taken in November so I think I'll sacrifice October to revise MAT. I'm not hell-bent on getting into Oxford tbh but I will definitely give it my best shot!
I will try my best! xD no promises!
Yes it only requires knowledge from C1/C2 but it requires knowledge to be applied in different ways that just aren't very obvious! Yeah it's a lot easier than STEP but I'll be taking STEP too in June
You're right but I really haven't put much effort into my A-levels just yet, MAT is taken in November so I think I'll sacrifice October to revise MAT. I'm not hell-bent on getting into Oxford tbh but I will definitely give it my best shot!
I will try my best! xD no promises!

Yeah, of course it's not going to be straightforward lol. But dam, STEP is definitely the hardest ever test I've heard of then. Good luck for that too. I'd say do MAT now and A-levels after, MAT + 3 A*s will get you into Oxford with high UMS.
Yeah, of course it's not going to be straightforward lol. But dam, STEP is definitely the hardest ever test I've heard of then. Good luck for that too. I'd say do MAT now and A-levels after, MAT + 3 A*s will get you into Oxford with high UMS.

Do you go to Oxford
Original post by Naruke
Do you go to Oxford

No lol. I'm a Year 12 student.
No lol. I'm a Year 12 student.

Alright. If I may ask, what makes you think that you're qualified to give advice on getting into Oxford? You're in Year 12, you haven't even sat your AS exams yet.

@Someboady is a nice guy, so he won't pull you up on this. However, I've noticed the little digs you've sent towards him. I don't understand how you're in any position to state what goals are realistic or not for another person. Furthermore, if you don't think he's capable of achieving the goals he has set, instead of making subliminal comments just get off this thread.

I'm really confident you can pull this off. However, you need to start working properly from now. Take no days off. Due to how high your goals are, a lot of bitter people will enter this thread and tell you how it's not possible, mainly because they couldn't see themselves doing it.

You have to pick and choose very carefully the advice you takeaway from this thread.

@Gome44

You go to Oxford right :wink:? What this person is aiming for is it possible or not?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending