The Student Room Group

TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ForestCat
Its a year off for me, but do you recommend those areas? I'm thinking of heading somewhere up north (Was looking at the Sheffield deanery last night) in order to be able to afford to save some money and start a retirement plan, given that I'll be 30 and not paid in to any pension yet :eek:

I'd definitely recommend the area. Your salary will definitely go further and it's also friendly, with good public transport, plenty of great days/nights out, good food, good shopping and there are some beautiful places up here. I love being close to both the countryside and the coast. I've never been bored or wanted to move away. Newcastle is a great city to live in, and you can commute to plenty of hospitals from there (though if you got Cumbria or Teeside you'd need to move there). I can PM you more about the Hospitals.

Newcastle is on the main line to London and Edinburgh, and there are good train links in general, but it would be a long and expensive ride/drive if you wanted to visit family/friends living right down south, so I'd take that into account. Obviously there's not as much to do as there is in London, but since i've never lived in a bigger city, I have nothing to compare it with. But being compact means it's easier to get around. I don't drive and I've rarely had transport problems.
Original post by SilverArch
I'd definitely recommend the area. Your salary will definitely go further and it's also friendly, with good public transport, plenty of great days/nights out, good food, good shopping and there are some beautiful places up here. I love being close to both the countryside and the coast. I've never been bored or wanted to move away. Newcastle is a great city to live in, and you can commute to plenty of hospitals from there (though if you got Cumbria or Teeside you'd need to move there). I can PM you more about the Hospitals.

Newcastle is on the main line to London and Edinburgh, and there are good train links in general, but it would be a long and expensive ride/drive if you wanted to visit family/friends living right down south, so I'd take that into account. Obviously there's not as much to do as there is in London, but since i've never lived in a bigger city, I have nothing to compare it with. But being compact means it's easier to get around. I don't drive and I've rarely had transport problems.

Thank you very much for this. If you ever have a few spare moments it would be good to hear about the hospitals. I can save it in my inbox for next year when it comes time to decide, providing I get through IPE first. :smile:
Its a year off for me, but do you recommend those areas? I'm thinking of heading somewhere up north (Was looking at the Sheffield deanery last night) in order to be able to afford to save some money and start a retirement plan, given that I'll be 30 and not paid in to any pension yet :eek:

Sheffield is my long term plan too. My partner used to live there, right next to the peak district, decent town, friendlier people and so much cheaper!

But then there are so many others to choose from.
Original post by nexttime
Sheffield is my long term plan too. My partner used to live there, right next to the peak district, decent town, friendlier people and so much cheaper!

But then there are so many others to choose from.

I actually googled flats etc in Doncaster the other day. Very reasonable. Not sure I like the mix up of jobs that have a year in Doncaster but I'll see what they're like next year. I think I want more of a dgh for f1 but it's all conjecture at this point. I'll probably change my mind by next year.
It's not my ideal place long term. But I want somewhere very cheap for foundation years. Need to start being financially sensible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
But I want somewhere very cheap for foundation years. Need to start being financially sensible.

You'll be the complete opposite of every other FY I've ever met then! £25 cocktails and holidays to 4* hotels all round, it seemed last year. I managed to save around £15,000 (over 2 years) without much effort and whilst still paying for holidays, exams and a £3,000 postgraduate certificate. The average saved by others I've spoken to was a fat 0!
You'll be the complete opposite of every other FY I've ever met then! £25 cocktails and holidays to 4* hotels all round, it seemed last year. I managed to save around £15,000 (over 2 years) without much effort and whilst still paying for holidays, exams and a £3,000 postgraduate certificate. The average saved by others I've spoken to was a fat 0!

Seeing as I'll be turning 30 during f1, with 0 towards a pension yet, I can't afford to. I want to try and buy a house asap.

I am planning a trip to Hawaii, hopefully, before f1 but that will be my first holiday in four years and probably my only for four years after!

No fancy drinks for me but I'll probably up date my wardrobe as most of it is pretty old.

I've worked before, so the thrill of the first pay cheque is lost on me, although it will be very nice to earn a proper salary again (although it's likely to be less than I was earning before).
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Etomidate
Find a junior that is willing to teach and get you involved with ward work.

im on rheum atm, and in terms of ward work, theres literally 3 inpatients atm lol

:lolwut:

But.. how?

Like... it's not like banking salaries, but it's by no means small...
Original post by hslakaal
:lolwut:

But.. how?

Like... it's not like banking salaries, but it's by no means small...

A lot of them seemed to really ramp up their accommodation costs. In FY1 I was paying £362pcm which was actually a little lower than as a student. One of my friends was living in London (despite not working there) paying £1200 for a flat share...
Still non the wiser where to apply for foundation schools. Partner is a nurse in London, so Central/North West/South Thames seem the right choice (like the DGH's in South Thames). But feel like I should just do something different.

Looking at AFP's too, if anyone has had experience of a management one on here?

*Only jobs i really want are A&E and Paeds... I hate having to make this decision this far ahead of time*
A lot of them seemed to really ramp up their accommodation costs. In FY1 I was paying £362pcm which was actually a little lower than as a student. One of my friends was living in London (despite not working there) paying £1200 for a flat share...

Even though I'm now bound to London for (hopefully) the next 3 years, I would never say it's worth that much money to live here.

Also, that sounds like s/he was living in some really nice place here. I *barely* pay 700pcm for my flatshare.
Original post by Asklepios
im on rheum atm, and in terms of ward work, theres literally 3 inpatients atm lol

In my albeit limited clinical experience, I've found organising my own shadowing far more helpful than organised bedside teaching. I've probably learnt more from doing late shifts at AMU than I have anywhere else in medical school, because you're 'trusted' to go and clerk acutely ill patients and you get to do full histories/exams, and get feedback at the end from the F1/reg/consultant if lucky.

If you only have 3 inpatients at rheumatology atm and you've seen them all, taken histories/examinations, maybe followed through to investigations + management, then you've exhausted most of your helpful options. Can't you go onto another ward and ask the F1 if there's anything you can help out with, or interesting patients to clerk?

Yeah I think I saved about £7-8k in my FY1, and that was with a very expensive unbanded job.

Original post by Asklepios

Go to AMU/A&E!
Don't know about the rest of you but I've resigned my BMA membership, totally unacceptable from the BMA on how to handle a situation and frankly I've totally lost faith with them. The statement about individual responsibility absolutely highlights that.
*New student here btw*

Today we went to a surgery and someone asked a (volunteer) patient, what caused you to come here?

Answer: Because you called me here??

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Original post by Anonymous
*New student here btw*

Today we went to a surgery and someone asked a (volunteer) patient, what caused you to come here?

Aha, oh yes. The other one is:
"So, what brought you into hospital?"
"An ambulance..."
Original post by That Bearded Man
Don't know about the rest of you but I've resigned my BMA membership, totally unacceptable from the BMA on how to handle a situation and frankly I've totally lost faith with them. The statement about individual responsibility absolutely highlights that.

Same. Cancelled it when they called off IA. So much pontification, flip flopping and failure to represent my views. More has been achieved by grassroot efforts.

I honestly feel like the BMA has done more harm than good during this dispute.
Original post by Brockle
"An ambulance..."

I've heard that so many times and I hardly have any clinical experience!
Original post by Etomidate
Same. Cancelled it when they called off IA. So much pontification, flip flopping and failure to represent my views. More has been achieved by grassroot efforts.

I honestly feel like the BMA has done more harm than good during this dispute.

Agree, Ellen's stance on signing absolutely unacceptable stance for a trade union

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
*New student here btw*

Original post by Brockle
"An ambulance..."

Or my mess up the other day:

"A few Qs about your social life" -- thinking to ask about smoking, alcohol, occupation etc (normally say social history). Their response: I don't have one :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending