The Student Room Group

Predicted grades

Hi everyone,

I have just got my predicted grades (I still have two more to go my History and Extended project) I am looking to study History at University and two of my top choices have the entry requirements of 3A's, with the hope that I get this grade predicted in History, I am not sure if I will due to being predicted a B in Sociology. I gained a low B in the exam but I know I can get an A if I work hard, I don't believe this is a true reflection of my abilities, as I received ABBB at AS, and could instead tried a lot harder and was expecting lower results. Is there anything I can do that will make him predict me an A, I can't stop worrying about it at is I have to hand in my application soon.

This is coming from a mother

Firstly don't worry until you know what the prediction is, it could be all be fine.

Then if your History prediction is a B formulate a plan to take to a discussion with the teacher.

I had parents evening last night and we needed to get my sons Maths prediction up one more grade for him to stand a chance at university applications for Economics as Maths was integral to the courses he wants to apply for.

It took 20 minutes of discussion and wasn't an easy ride, if we just said he would work harder it wouldn't have been successful.

I went with past papers he had taken with much better results than his AS result - teacher said they weren't taken in exam condition.
We had just placed son with a private tutor for Maths help an hour a week.
He's sitting in on the year below Maths lessons when he has free periods to go over a module again.
Sons second Maths teacher was called to give an opinion and luckily he thought more highly of my sons abilities with all the other factors I've mentioned, so it was agreed that his prediction would go up a level.

So think about what case you can make ....not just you will work harder
Have you taken extra reading from the library , started independent research on the history module course work if that's been given to yet, show how enthusiastic you are about the subject, state what courses you have looked at and the entry requirements.

Good luck IF you need it.
Original post by Mumofson
This is coming from a mother

Firstly don't worry until you know what the prediction is, it could be all be fine.

Then if your History prediction is a B formulate a plan to take to a discussion with the teacher.

I had parents evening last night and we needed to get my sons Maths prediction up one more grade for him to stand a chance at university applications for Economics as Maths was integral to the courses he wants to apply for.

It took 20 minutes of discussion and wasn't an easy ride, if we just said he would work harder it wouldn't have been successful.

I went with past papers he had taken with much better results than his AS result - teacher said they weren't taken in exam condition.
We had just placed son with a private tutor for Maths help an hour a week.
He's sitting in on the year below Maths lessons when he has free periods to go over a module again.
Sons second Maths teacher was called to give an opinion and luckily he thought more highly of my sons abilities with all the other factors I've mentioned, so it was agreed that his prediction would go up a level.

So think about what case you can make ....not just you will work harder
Have you taken extra reading from the library , started independent research on the history module course work if that's been given to yet, show how enthusiastic you are about the subject, state what courses you have looked at and the entry requirements.

Good luck IF you need it.

Thanks for the help. I'm seeing my Sociology teacher and I am going to go with essays that I previously done it in class which have been marked at A- grade, I am also going to offer to complete further essays to give to him to really prove I can word hard and am capable of doing so. Thank you for your kind words, and say well done to your son for getting good predicted grades!
Ah it's the Sociology B you are worried about. Yes just gather as much work as you can to show, do you only have the one teacher in the subject ? Did you apply for a copy of your AS exam back - if you did you could say what areas your weaknesses were in and how to intend to fill gaps in your knowledge. I'm not sure if this one teacher knows how well you are doing in your other subjects , explain your full set of results so they see how well you have balanced your revision across all your subjects. Do you have a form teacher who is helping you with uni applications - discuss your goals with them and get them on board to strengthen your case. All the best.
Original post by Mumofson
Ah it's the Sociology B you are worried about. Yes just gather as much work as you can to show, do you only have the one teacher in the subject ? Did you apply for a copy of your AS exam back - if you did you could say what areas your weaknesses were in and how to intend to fill gaps in your knowledge. I'm not sure if this one teacher knows how well you are doing in your other subjects , explain your full set of results so they see how well you have balanced your revision across all your subjects. Do you have a form teacher who is helping you with uni applications - discuss your goals with them and get them on board to strengthen your case. All the best.

I have two Sociology teachers, the other one who doesn't predicted our grades seems much more understanding, if I get the chance I will try speak to her tomorrow.
Well done, positive thinking and stand strong !

Quick Reply

Latest