The Student Room Group

What degree do you think is the most demanding?

Scroll to see replies

I'm not saying they aren't intelligent, I'm just saying that you cannot possibly say that Philosophy as a degree is more demanding that something mathsy or sciency.

Ox's Economics and Management, for instance, is a much more demanding degree than PPE.
This one http://www.agrifoodatp.ac.uk/aatp/courses/crops/potato-production-and-management.aspx

Anyone motivated to get through this deserves a medal...possibly one made of potatoes
Original post by Rhaenys10
I'm not saying they aren't intelligent, I'm just saying that you cannot possibly say that Philosophy as a degree is more demanding that something mathsy or sciency.

Ox's Economics and Management, for instance, is a much more demanding degree than PPE.

Demanding in what sense? Concepts? Thinking skills? Workload? Yes, I'm not going to deny that the concepts present in subjects like maths, physics, chemistry etc are quite difficult and will be challenging to grasp but I've read the works of various philosophers that I've found and even I find it challenging to understand it. Yes, philosophy doesn't have maths or demanding lab practicals in it but to say that it isn't conceptually difficult to understand it sometimes merely shows your own ignorance
It's easier in every respect, although I do think it depends on each person's affinities and abilities. And it's funny that you're calling me ignorant, because initially, it was PPE I wanted to apply for
(edited 7 years ago)
It's easier in every respect, although I do think it depends on each person's affinities and abilities. And it's funny that you're calling me ignorant, because initially, it was PPE I wanted to apply to for uni.

I guess it's individual to the person but philosophy is at least as conceptually challenging as physics or chemistry in my own personal opinion. I'm talking about real philosophy here, degree level stuff, not the watered down excuse of an a-level taught in most sixth forms these days. The a-level isn't really a good reflection on philosophy in my experience.

I just think to get more of a feel for philosophy you should read some works of actual philosophers, not just rely on what you learn at a-level. If you do actually read outside of your syllabus then I apologise for the comment.
Nothing compares to a philosopher's original work. Kant though... You know you're long winded when you have to write Prolegomena to Any Future Metaphysics blah blah blah lol.

It's not a problem, I've read a lot of stuff on Philosophy, mainly because you can never truly be satisfied by one man's view on the world, you know? Like you open a book, you see what they have to say, and then you're like, wait, but didn't X say something that contradicts Y? Maybe I should see what they've got to say too. (this is what's kept me going since I was 15 lol)

And then again, if you enjoy overanalysing even the most basic topics, if you're willing to accept that you'll never actually reach the truth, Philosophy is quite enjoyable. Oh, and you can never really be wrong in Philosophy either. (unless you make fallacy after fallacy lol)

I believe that in Phil, you can sometimes rely on your instinct too. To do the same thing with a science, you need to be not only experienced, but also up to date with a lot of stuff...
Nothing compares to a philosopher's original work. Kant though... You know you're long winded when you have to write Prolegomena to Any Future Metaphysics blah blah blah lol.

It's not a problem, I've read a lot of stuff on Philosophy, mainly because you can never truly be satisfied by one man's view on the world, you know? Like you open a book, you see what they have to say, and then you're like, wait, but didn't X say something that contradicts Y? Maybe I should see what they've got to say too. (this is what's kept me going since I was 15 lol)

And then again, if you enjoy overanalysing even the most basic topics, if you're willing to accept that you'll never actually reach the truth, Philosophy is quite enjoyable. Oh, and you can never really be wrong in Philosophy either. (unless you make fallacy after fallacy lol)

I believe that in Phil, you can sometimes rely on your instinct too. To do the same thing with a science, you need to be not only experienced, but also up to date with a lot of stuff...

Have you ever read anything by Kierkegaard? His work is beautiful, but in a dark way. If you haven't I would definitely recommend And The Sickness Unto Death.

Philosophy is definitely one of those subjects where everything is in shades of grey. With your sciences it's mostly just black or white (unless you're talking about certain concepts in second year chemistry where even my chemistry lecturer admitted than nobody really knows what's going on lmao) but philosophy definitely allows for more mental exploration, if you understand me?

I'm sorry if I offended you, ignorant was a bad choice of words, I meant something more like 'un-read.' I'm just annoyed at the patronising attitude displayed by most other STEM overlords on here towards anything that isn't STEM where everything that isn't STEM is completely worthless and a waste of time studying.
Demand studies.
Seriously guys it's 2016 why can't we accept that sociology is objectively harder than engineering even if factually that's not correct we should just accept it as such because it's 2016 jeez...
Maths, sciences, medicine, engineering, dentistry
Not whole works, just passages. Thanks for the recommendation!:wink:

It's true, but this means that it can also be hard to assess at times, which can allow something that is essentially bs (not thinking of anyone's work in particular) to be regarded as some brilliant thing, at least for a short time. Idk, it's just my opinion...

You didn't, I just found it a bit ironic. I used to think like that too, but here I am lol
Well I did Software Engineering and studied with people that did Computer Science and Games Software Development and nearly all of us managed to find jobs immediately after graduation, had my position secured back in February conditional on a 2:1

Other people that I know who have had an easy time finding a job: Medicine, Mechanical/Energy/Electric Engineering, Law, Maths and some Events Management.

Also this Uni is only mid-rank so if you get into a top-20 university then your job prospects would be even better
Not whole works, just passages. Thanks for the recommendation!:wink:

It's true, but this means that it can also be hard to assess at times, which can allow something that is essentially bs (not thinking of anyone's work in particular) to be regarded as some brilliant thing, at least for a short time. Idk, it's just my opinion...

You didn't, I just found it a bit ironic. I used to think like that too, but here I am lol

Read the whole thing if you can, be warned, it's quite heavy though :work:

Also if you're interested in ethics Peter Singer offers an interesting perspective on animal rights and bioethics

I agree that some philosophy is complete rubbish and ludicrous but some is very good.

Anyway, you didn't answer what you studied :tongue:
for who
Original post by W. A. Mozart
Mathematics/Physics/Engineering.

This is all flawed though as everybody answering has either:
a) Studied one degree.
b) Not studied a degree.

This makes it hard for anyone to make an informative reply - just a guess.

some of us have dual/joint honours or masters/phds in fields different to our undergrads

some of us probably being .01%
Original post by metrize
An essay subject for me because I can't write essays to save my life

Trust me, my C in GCSE English language says it all lol. What a level subjects have done/are you doing?
Oh, I haven't noticed that you asked me this:smile:)
If you were to stereotype me, where would you think I was studying?
Just curious lol
Oh, I haven't noticed that you asked me this:smile:)
If you were to stereotype me, where would you think I was studying?
Just curious lol

Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Literature?
I misunderstood the question lol.. I thought you were asking me about the university I was going to
wanna go pm, we're derailing this thread?
Original post by MajorFader
Trust me, my C in GCSE English language says it all lol. What a level subjects have done/are you doing?

maths further maths physics, dropped Chem after doing it at AS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending