The Student Room Group

Finding biology a level hard already

It's been around 3 weeks since I started year 12 and I've chosen biology, psychology and media. I'm finding biology quite hard and a lot of work. I've tried revising from the textbook but there's just soooo much in there that we aren't taught in lesson so it makes me feel like I don't know anything. How can I revise effectively? I'm not that good at science I got a B in my GCSE for both core and additional science. However, I need biology for my future and career. Because I got a B in GCSE will it be hard for me to get a B in a level? Did anyone else get a B in GCSE but do good at a level biology?

Ps. I'm doing the new spec for biology and apparently it's very hard and harder than the old spec and not many people got good grades this year.
Reply 1
Hi, are you doing the new eduquas spec? If so that's what I did last year for AS and I might be able to help? :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Don't worry if you can remember/understand everything first time. That's why a-levels are harder than GCSE's, cause the volume of content is larger and more complex. Spend time outside of lessons going over your notes/watching YouTube videos and eventually it will stick.
Reply 3
Original post by bmartin3
Hi, are you doing the new eduquas spec? If so that's what I did last year for AS and I might be able to help? :smile:

Yes I think I am!
Reply 4
Original post by rdlewiss
Yes I think I am!

Ahh cool, well you're right about it being more difficult. On the new spec they no longer give marks on the essay question away unfortunately, you have to fully apply a point to get even 1 mark. However as the spec is new the exam board are still coming to terms with how difficult students find the exams and so the grade boundaries tend to be lower - Hence I got an A and completely pretty much missed out the essay questions on both papers.
The syllabus is more detailed in some respects but also for topics such as parasites, we are required to know a lot less than the previous years.
If it gives you any comfort, I got an A in GCSE biology and achieved no higher than a C/D grade for most of my tests and homeworks for the first couple months.
Reply 5
Original post by rdlewiss
Because I got a B in GCSE will it be hard for me to get a B in a level? Did anyone else get a B in GCSE but do good at a level biology

You'll come to terms with receiving a few bad grades at the start of AS, because it is a massive step up from GCSE and you will learn that a lot of what you have been taught has been very simplified for your benefit.
I do however think if you keep on top of your revision, read over your notes after each class and make sure to ask your teacher if you can't quite grasp the concept of something - e.g. protein synthesis, it will be very possible for you to get a B at A level or higher if you strive for that :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by bmartin3
You'll come to terms with receiving a few bad grades at the start of AS, because it is a massive step up from GCSE and you will learn that a lot of what you have been taught has been very simplified for your benefit.

I do however think if you keep on top of your revision, read over your notes after each class and make sure to ask your teacher if you can't quite grasp the concept of something - e.g. protein synthesis, it will be very possible for you to get a B at A level or higher if you strive for that :smile:

Thank you so much!! This is very helpful. I'm going to try my hardest :smile: congrats on the A, that's amazing!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending