The Student Room Group

dropping english literature

i would like to study medicine at university so i am taking chemistry biology maths and english literature but i am considering dropping english lit before its too late and just doing 3 a-levels, im an average student and get my fair share of A's and A*'s with the occasional B but i am definately not one of the best in my year group, im no genius, will it be too much work to take engish lit as well? because i NEED these A's and A*s at a-level if i even want to think of medicine. please can i have some advice, thank you very much.
Reply 1
Are you in Year 12 or Year 13 at the moment?

If you're in Year 12, I would recommend keeping the English Literature during this year so that you can develop some skills for essay writing and analytical thinking, but you can always drop it at the beginning of Year 13. You can always see how your Year 12 exams go and work it out from there. If it gets too much during the year, you can drop it then, but I'd say stick with it and get used to a high workload, as it will increase in Year 13 even studying only 3.

If you're in Year 13, there is no reason to keep it unless you really enjoy it and it won't affect your other subjects too much. Since you want to study medicine, you will need to focus on the other subjects, so I'd drop it.
Reply 2
thank you very much, i will take on board your advice, and im in year 12
Reply 3
Original post by ireti
i would like to study medicine at university so i am taking chemistry biology maths and english literature but i am considering dropping english lit before its too late and just doing 3 a-levels, im an average student and get my fair share of A's and A*'s with the occasional B but i am definately not one of the best in my year group, im no genius, will it be too much work to take engish lit as well? because i NEED these A's and A*s at a-level if i even want to think of medicine. please can i have some advice, thank you very much.

English Lit is one of the easiest A-Levels, you can piss about the whole year and get away with an A (as long as you have half a head on your shoulders)
Reply 4
Original post by bigwang
English Lit is one of the easiest A-Levels, you can piss about the whole year and get away with an A (as long as you have half a head on your shoulders)

i really hope so, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest