The Student Room Group

What is better? Study a year abroad or Sandwich year?

Hello ! I am completely stuck on what uni to put down or my 5 choices, I know its between a 7 of Bristol, Bath, Southampton, Surrey, Nottingham, Glasgow and Queens. AS Levels I got 4 A's and I am predicted A*A*A.....

But Bristol and Bath who have very high reputations for Aerospace are leading the line for me. So I want to put one of the 2 down.

Bristol offers
Aerospace Engineering with Study in Continental Europe (H401)

While Bath offers: MEng (Hons) Aerospace Engineering Five years with placement (H423)

I'm unsure as to which one to put down as i dont know if the study abroad is better than placement or what?
Well for Bristol you can do a year in industry as well, even if it's not advertised.

As for which one's better that's completely up to you.
Reply 2
Original post by Helloworld_95
Well for Bristol you can do a year in industry as well, even if it's not advertised.

As for which one's better that's completely up to you.

How do you know? ahaha
Are you sure the Bath option doesnt include a year abroad as well? Awfully strange if it didn't considering Uni of Hertforshire has it on their Aerospace Eng course and they are..well..lesser caliber.
Reply 4
Original post by KardasDragon
Are you sure the Bath option doesnt include a year abroad as well? Awfully strange if it didn't considering Uni of Hertforshire has it on their Aerospace Eng course and they are..well..lesser caliber.

I want a year in industry if possible.
Original post by ronaldm49
How do you know? ahaha

1) Because it would be odd if they didn't

2) http://bristolaeroadmissions.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/faq-can-you-arrange-work-placements-for.html
Original post by ronaldm49
Hello ! I am completely stuck on what uni to put down or my 5 choices, I know its between a 7 of Bristol, Bath, Southampton, Surrey, Nottingham, Glasgow and Queens. AS Levels I got 4 A's and I am predicted A*A*A.....

But Bristol and Bath who have very high reputations for Aerospace are leading the line for me. So I want to put one of the 2 down.

Bristol offers
Aerospace Engineering with Study in Continental Europe (H401)

While Bath offers: MEng (Hons) Aerospace Engineering Five years with placement (H423)

I'm unsure as to which one to put down as i dont know if the study abroad is better than placement or what?

An actual placement is "better" in terms of job prospects as it gives you actual engineering experience. I haven't seen much evidence so far that employers are particularly interested in whether you did or did not study abroad for a year, although if it's something you want to do, certainly do it.

Although I don't see why both could not be fitted into a degree programme.

Quick Reply

Latest